This is a shortened version of a paper written in 1973 and published in 1975. The authors wish to thank Samuel Sutton, St. Clair Drake, Muriel Hammer and Antonio Lauria for their comments.
MIGRATION AND WEST INDIAN RACIAL AND ETHNIC CONSCIOUSNESS1
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1989 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Caribbean Life in New York City: Sociocultural Dimensions
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 86–107, January 1989
How to Cite
SUTTON, C. R. and MAKIESKY-BARROW, S. R. (1989), MIGRATION AND WEST INDIAN RACIAL AND ETHNIC CONSCIOUSNESS. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 7: 86–107. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1989.tb00980.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1970 “The February Revolution.” In The Aftermath of Sovereignty: West Indian Perspectives. D. Lowenthal and L. Comitas, eds. Garden City, New York: Anchor Books. Pp. 306–330.
- 1970 The Un-melting Pot—An English Town and Its Immigrants. London: Macmillan.
- 1972 “Black Immigrants: The Experience of Invisibility and Inequality,” Journal of Black Studies, 3(1): 29–56. Sept.
- 1971 “A Survey of Race Relations in Britain,” Ethnies, 1:75–90.
- 1970 “Ethnic Minorities in the Social Sciences,” New Atlantic, 2(1): 134–159.
- 1971 Let the Niggers Burn! The Sir George Williams Affair and Its Caribbean Aftermath. Montreal: Black Rose Books.
- 1967 Black skin, white masks. D. Forsythe, ed. New York: Grove Press.
- 1973 Black Men, White Cities: Race, Politics and Migration in the United States, 1900–1930, and Britain, 1948–1968. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1953 In the Castle of My Skin. London: Michael Joseph.
- 1971 “An Introductory Note to the Study of Race Relations in Great Britain,” Caribbean Studies, 11(1): 5–29. April.
- 1969 “Protest Among the Immigrants? The Dilemma of Minority Culture,” Political Quarterly, 40(4): 426–435. Oct.
- 1972 West Indian Societies. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1976 “Class, Culture and Politics in a Barbadian Community,” Ph.D. dissertation, Brandeis University.
- 1959 Brown Girl, Brownstones. New York: Random House.
- 1972 “Endogamy among Barbadian Immigrants to New York City.” Ph.D. dissertation, New York University.
- 1971 “Twice Removed: West Indian or Black British?” Paper given at the American Society for Ethnohistory, Athens, Georgia.
- 1971 Race and Revolutionary Consciousness. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Schenkman.
- 1968 West Indian Migration to Britain: A Social Geography. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1970 “The Implications of Migration for Sending Societies: Some Theoretical Considerations.” In Migration and Anthropology: Proceedings of the 1970 American Ethnological Society Annual Meeting. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- 1939 The Negro Immigrant: His Background, Characteristics and Social Adjustment, 1899–1937. New York: Colombia University Press. Republished by Arno in 1969.
- 1955 “Emigration from the Island of Barbados,” Social and Economic Studies, 4(3): 245–288. Sept.
- Rose, E.J.B., ed. 1969 Colour and Citizenship: A Report on British Race Relations. London: Oxford University Press.
- 1969 “The Scene of the Action: A Wildcat Strike in Barbados.” Ph. D. dissertation, Colombia University.
- Tajfel, H. and J. L. Dawson, eds. 1965 Disappointed Guests: Essays by African, Asian and West Indian Students. London: Oxford University Press.