AFRO-CARIBBEAN RELIGIONS IN NEW YORK CITY: The Case of Santería
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1989 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Caribbean Life in New York City: Sociocultural Dimensions
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 287–304, January 1989
How to Cite
GREGORY, S. (1989), AFRO-CARIBBEAN RELIGIONS IN NEW YORK CITY: The Case of Santería. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 7: 287–304. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1989.tb00994.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- Archdiocese of New York 1982 Hispanics in New York Religious, Cultural and Social Experiences (2 vols.).New York: Office of Pastoral Research.
- 1981 “Yoruba attitudes to their gods,” Africa, 51(3): 724–745.
- 1978 The African Religions of Brazil. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1971 African Civilizations in the New World. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1973 “Ethnic Identity in New York City: The Yoruba Temple of Harlem.” M.A. thesis, New York University.
- 1977 “Doctor, Espiritista, or Psychiatrist?: Health Seeking Behavior in a Puerto Rican Neighborhood of New York City,” Medical Anthropology, 1(2): 65–188. Spring.
- 1979 From Rebellion to Revolution. New York: Vintage Books.
- 1983 “Pancho Mora: Babalawo Supreme and Oracle of Orúnla,” Latin New York, 6(9): 27–28. Sept.
- 1982 The Santería Experience. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc.
- 1973 Santería. New York: The Julian Press.
- 1986 “Santería in New York City: A Study in Cultural Resistance.” Ph.D. dissertation, New York: New School for Social Research.
- 1973 “Religion as a Mediating Institution in Acculturation.” In Religious Systems and Psychotherapy. Edited by Richard Cox. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas. Pp. 319–331. and
- 1970 Slave Society in Cuba During the Nineteenth Century. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- 1975 “Therapeutic Aspects of Puerto Rican Cult Practices.” Psychiatry, 38(2): 160–171. May.
- 1984 American Odyssey: Haitians in New York City. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1977 “The Religion of the Poor: Escape or Creative Force?” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 16(3): 225–236. Sept.
- 1935 O Animismo Fetichista dos Negros Bahianos. Rio de Janeiro: Civilizaçao Brasileira.
- 1977 “The Ancient Art of Folk Healing: African Influence in a New York City Community Mental Health Center.” In Traditional Healing: New Science or New Colonialism? Edited by Philip Singer. New York: Couch Magazine Company, Ltd. Pp. 80–95. and
- 1977 “Santería: Afro-Cuban Concepts of Disease and its Treatment in Miami,” Journal of Operational Psychiatry, 8(2) 52–63.
- 1979 “Black Religion and Resistance in Colombia: Three Centuries of Social Struggle in the Cauca Valley,” Marxist Perspectives, 2(2): 84–116. Summer.
- 1983 Flash of the Spirit. New York: Random House.