This research was supported by a grant (Immigrants, Minorities, and Their Opportunities: 1940–1950) from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (HD 18486).
Immigrants, Cities, and Opportunities: Some Historical Insights from Social Demography*
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
1994 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: The Immigration Experience in the United States: Policy Implications
Volume 11, Issue 1, pages 16–45, January 1994
How to Cite
Kraly, E. P. and Hirschman, C. (1994), Immigrants, Cities, and Opportunities: Some Historical Insights from Social Demography. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 11: 16–45. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1994.tb00101.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1986 The Twilight of Ethnicity Among Americans of European Ancestry: The Case of Italians,” Ethnic and Racial Studies 8:134–158.
- 1985 Italian Americans: Into the Twilight of Ethnicty. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- 1967 Toward a Theory of Minority Group Relations. New York: John Wiley.
- 1927 Immigrants and Their Children: 1920. Census Monographs VII. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.
- 1982 Ethnic Americans: A History of Immigration and Assimilation. New York: Harper and Row. , and
- 1968 The Urbanization of Negroes in the United States,” Journal of Social History 1:241–258.
- 1981 Going North: Migration of Blacks and Whites from the South 1900–1950. New York: Academic.
- 1982 Rediscovering City Differences in Racial Occupational Inequality,” American Sociological Review 47:681–689. and
- 1970 The End of the America Era. New York: Atheneum.
- Contribution of Manufacturing Wages to Regional Differences in Per Capita Income. Review of Economics and Statistics 33:18–28. n.d. “
- 1979 Alternative Models of Earnings and Determination and Labor Marker Structures,” The Journal of Human Resources 16:238–259.
- 1978 Ethnic Income Variations: Magnitudes and Explanations.” In Essays and Data on American Ethnic Groups. Ed. T. Sowell. Washington, D.C.: The Urban Institute. Pp. 139–166.
- 1950 Human Ecology, A Theory of Community Structure. New York: Roland.
- 1979 A Tale of Three Cities: Blacks and Immigrants in Philadelphia: 1850–1880, 1930 and 1970,” The Annals of the American Academy 441:56–81. et. al.
- 1990 Racial and Ethnic Inequality in the United States, 1940 and 1950: The Impact of Geographic Location and Human Capital,” International Migration Review 24:4–33. and
- 1988 Immigrants, Minorities and Earnings in 1950,” Racial and Ethnic Studies 11:332–365. and
- 1956 Immigrants and Their Children, 1850–1950. Census Monograph Series. New York: John Wiley.
- 1980 A Piece of the Pie: Black and White Immigrants Since 1880. Berkeley: University of California.
- 1963 Ethnic Patterns in American Cities. Glencoe, NY: The Free Press.
- 1955 Income of the American People. Census Monograph Series. New York: John Wiley.
- 1981 The Geography of American Cities. New York: Oxford.
- 1979 Race, Regional Labor Markets and Earnings,” American Sociological Review 44:262–279.
- 1983 Ascription and Labor Markets: Race and Sex Differences in Earnings. New York: Academic. and
- 1925 The City. Chicago: University of Chicago. , , and
- 1973 Immigrant Workers. New York: Basic Books.
- 1961 Regional Wage Differences in Manufacturing in the Postwar Period,” Review of Economics and Statistics 43:148–155.
- 1981 Ethnic America: A History. New York: Basic.
- 1976 Community and Industry Determinants of the Occupational Status of Black Males. Institute for Poverty Research Discussion Paper No. 330. Madison: University of Wisconsin. , and
- 1981 The Ethnic Myth: Race, Ethnicity and Class in the United States. Boston: Beacon.
- 1977 City Differences and Nondifferences in the Effect of Race and Sex on Occupational Distribution,” American Sociological Review 42:937–950. , and
- Thernstrom, S., and R. Sennett, eds. 1969 Nineteenth Century Cities: Essays in the New Urban History. New Haven: Yale University.
- 1965 A Preface to Urban Economics. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University.
- 1951 The Relative Position of the Negro Male in the Labor Force of Large American Cities,” American Sociological Review 16:524–529.
- 1967 Race and Racism: A Comparative Analysis. New York: Wiley.
- 1971 Cities and Immigrants. New York: Oxford University.