Population Displacement and Household Coping Strategies in Sudan: The View from Greater Khartoum
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1994 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Population Displacement and Resettlement: Development and Conflict in the Middle East
Volume 11, Issue 4, pages 47–79, July 1994
How to Cite
Hamid, G. M. (1994), Population Displacement and Household Coping Strategies in Sudan: The View from Greater Khartoum. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 11: 47–79. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1994.tb00794.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1986 Popular Settlements in Greater Khartoum.” Paper presented at Eighth Conference of the Arab Cities Organization, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (In Arabic).
- 1990 Southern Sudan: Too Many Agreements Dishonoured. Exeter, U.K.: Ithaca Press.
- Amnesty International 1989 Sudan: Human Rights Violations in the Context of Civil War. London: Amnesty International.
- 1989 Famine,” The New Yorker 13 March, Pp. 85–101.
- Commission of the Displaced, Government of the Sudan 1990 The Root Cause and the Social, Political, Economic and Security Impacts of Population Displacement.” Paper presented at National Conference of the Displaced, Khartoum, 3–8 February. (In Arabic).
- 1988 Preventing Famine: Policies and Prospects for Africa. London and New York: Routledge. , , and .
- Department of Statistics, Government of the Sudan 1987 Population and Housing Census 1983: Khartoum Province. Khartoum, Sudan: Population Census Office.
- 1987 Profile of the Displaced in Khartoum,” Disasters 11(4): 234–250. et al.
- 1988 On Becoming Sudanese.” In Sudan: State, Capital and Transformation. Ed. T. Barnett and A. Abdel Karim. London: Croom Helm, Ltd. Pp. 99–121.
- Doxiades Associates and Abdel-Moneim Mustafa and Partners. 1991 Contract for Consultancy Services: Preparation of an Urban Development Plan and Action Programs for the National Capital.” Report Number II, Draft I: Overview of Existing Situation. Khartoum, Sudan.
- Doxiades Associates and Abdel-Moneim Mustafa and Partners. 1990 Presentation of the First Phase of the Greater Khartoum Development Plan.” Grand Hotel, Khartoum. October 29.
- 1990a From Emergency to Social Security in Sudan—Part I: The Problem,” Disasters 4(3): 187–203.
- 1990b From Emergency to Social Security in Sudan—Part II: The Donor Response,” Disasters 14(4): 322–334.
- 1988 Political Economy in Haiti: The Drama of Survival. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books.
- 1992 Empowerment: The Politics of an Alternative Development. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
- 1992a Coping with Displacement in the Sudan: Popular Versus Institutional Responses. Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California, Los Angeles.
- 1992b Livelihood Patterns of the Displaced Households in Greater Khartoum, Sudan,” Disasters 16(3). (Forthcoming).
- 1970 Migration, Unemployment and Development: A Two Sector Analysis,” American Economic Review LX:139–149. and
- 1991 Growing Famine in Sudan: The Politics of a Calamity,” Los Angeles Times 7 April, Pp. A1, 28, 30.
- 1991 “The Conditions of the Southern Sudanese Women Migrants in Abu Siid Shanty Town, Omdurman, Sudan—A Case Study of Cultural Change, GeoJournal 20(3): 249–258.
- 1991 The Impact of Famine on the Function of the Family and Society—Early Indicators and Late Consequences.” Paper presented to the UCLA International Conference on the Impact of Natural Disasters, Los Angeles, California, July 10–12. and
- 1980 Sedentarization of the Nomads: Sudan.” In The Future of Pastoral Peoples. Ed. J. Galaty et al.. Proceedings of Conference held in Nairobi, Kenya, August 4–8. Ottawa, Canada: International Development Research Center. Pp. 302–817.
- 1991 Murahaleen Raids on the Dinka, 1985–90,” Disasters 15(2): 137–249.
- 1991 Humanitarianism Under Siege: A Critical Review of Operation Lifeline Sudan. Trenton, NJ: The Red Sea Press.
- Ministry of Relief, Rehabilitation and the Displaced and Refugees Affairs, Government of the Sudan 1990 Final Report and Recommendations.” National Conference of the Displaced, Khartoum, February 3–8. (In Arabic).
- Peace and Foreign Relations Commission, Political Committee, National Salvation Revolution Command Council, Sudan 1990 National Dialogue Conference on Peace Issues in the Sudan. Khartoum: Dar al-Asala. (In Arabic).
- 1984 Household Economic Strategies: Review and Research Agenda,” Latin American Research Review, 19(3): 87–101.
- 1990 The Social Implications of Population Displacement and Resettlement: An Overview with a Focus on the Middle East,” The Population Council Regional Papers, No. 37 (June). Cairo.
- 1988 Case Studies of Famine: Sudan.” In Preventing Famine: Policies and Prospects for Africa. Ed. D. Curtis, M. Hubbard, and A. Shepherd. London and New York: Routledge. Pp. 28–72.
- United States Committee for Refugees 1990 World Refugee Survey: 1989 in Review. Washington, DC: American Council for Nationalities Service.
- 1989 The Ecology of Survival in Sudan's Periphery: Short-Term Tactics and Long-Term Strategies,” Africa Today, 3d and 4th Quarters, pp. 65–78.
- 1989 Food as a Weapon for Peace: Operation Lifeline Sudan,” Africa Today 3d and 4th Quarters, pp. 29–42.
- 1982 Equilibrium and Historical-Structural Perspectives on Migration: A Comparative Critique with Implications for Future Research,” International Migration Review 16(2): 298–319, Table 1.