Petroleum Exploitation and the Displacement of Pastoral Nomadic Households in Oman
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1994 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Population Displacement and Resettlement: Development and Conflict in the Middle East
Volume 11, Issue 4, pages 87–106, July 1994
How to Cite
Chatty, D. (1994), Petroleum Exploitation and the Displacement of Pastoral Nomadic Households in Oman. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 11: 87–106. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1994.tb00799.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1979 The Transition from a Tribal Society to a Nation State.” Ph.D. Dis., University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- 1962 Nomadism in the Arab Lands of the Middle East.” In Problems of the Arid Zone. Paris: UNESCO.
- 1959 Settlement of Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribal Groups in the Middle East. International Labor Review 79(1): 25–56.
- 1964 Nomads of South Persia: The Basseri Tribe of the Khamseh Confederacy. New York: Humanities Press.
- 1988 Range Enclosures in Central Somalia. ODI Pastoral Network Paper 25b. London: Overseas Development Institute.
- 1989 Bedouin Population Development.” (Tech. Report), DTCD, United Nations. Muscat.
- 1986 From Camel to Truck: The Bedouin in the Modern World. New York: Vantage Press.
- 1984 Women's Component in Pastoral Community Assistance and Development: A Study of the Needs and Problems of the Harasiis Population.” Prepared for the Government of Oman by the United Nations. New York.
- 1983 The Bedouin of Central Oman: Adaptation or Fossilization,” Journal of Oman Studies 6:149–162.Muscat.
- 197273 Pastoralism: Adaptation and Optimization,” Folk 14–15:27–38. Copenhagen, DK.
- 1991 Pastoralists in Oman. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. , , and
- 1991 Pastoral Production Systems and Livestock Development Projects: An East African Perspective.” In Putting People First. Ed. Michael Cernea. Oxford, U.K.: World Bank Publications and Oxford University Press.
- 1973 The Efforts of Detribalizing the Bedouin on the Internal Cohesion of an Emerging State: The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.” Ph.D. Dis., University of Pittsburgh.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) 1972 Expert Consultation on the Settlement of Nomads in Africa and the Near East.” Cairo: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- 1958 The Muqqadimah, translated by F. Rosenthal. New York: Pantheon Books.
- 1987 Nomads and Settlers in Syria and Jordan 1800–1980. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1955 The Frontiers of Settlement in Syria 1800–1950,” International Affairs 31:48–60.
- 1939 Die Beduinen, 4 vols. Leipzig: Otto Harrassowitz.
- 1969 Sociological Evaluation of a Pilot Project for Bedouin Settlement: A Case Study.” Beirut: UNESOB.
- UNESOB 1970 Nomadic Populations in Selected Countries in the Middle East and Related Issues of Sedentarization and Settlement.” In Studies on Selected Countries in the Middle East. Beirut: UNESOB.
- 1787 Voyage en Egypt et en Syrie. Le Haye: Mouton Press.