4: Haitian Identities at the Juncture Between Diaspora and Homeland
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
1996 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Caribbean Circuit New Directions in the Study of Caribbean Migration
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 127–160, July 1996
How to Cite
Fouron, G. E. and Schiller, N. G. (1996), 4: Haitian Identities at the Juncture Between Diaspora and Homeland. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 13: 127–160. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.1996.tb00157.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1993 An Autobiography. New York: Orbis Books, Maryknoll.
- 1990 In the Parish of the Poor. New York: Orbis Books, Maryknoll.
- 1994 Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects and the Deterritorialized Nation-State. New York: Gordon and Breach. , and
- 1994 The Location of Culture. New York: Routledge.
- 1977 Inequality and Heterogeneity. New York: Free Press.
- 1994 “Social Theory and the Politics of Identity.” In Social Theory and the Politics of Identity. Ed. C. Calhoun. Cambridge: Blackwell.
- 1975 “Haitian Social Structure in the 19th Century.” In Working Papers in Haitian Society and Culture. Ed. S. Mintz. New Haven, CT Antilles Research Program, Yale University.
- 1993a Nationalist Thought and the Colonial World. 2nd ed. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 1993b The Nation and Its Fragments: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 1990 “When Is a Nation?” Ethnic and Racial Studies, 13(1): 92–100.
- 1870 Les Théoriciens au Pouvoir. [The Theoreticians in Power]. Paris: Plon.
- 1959 Le Problème des Classes à Travers l'Histoire d'Haïti. [The Class Problem Throughout the History of Haiti). 2nd ed. Port-au-Prince: Imprimerie de L'Etat. and
- 1987 “The Remittances of Haitian Immigrants in New York City.” Unpublished final report prepared for Citibank. In files of author.
- 1986 Aiding Migration: The Impact of International Development Assistance on Haiti. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. and
- 1989 Haiti in the World Economy: Class, Race, and Underdevelopment Since 1700. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- 1966 Oeuvres Essentielles. [Essential Works]. Vol. I, II. Port-au-Prince: Presses Nation-ales D'Haïti.
- 1967 Bréviare d'une Révolution. [Breviary of a Revolution]. Port-au-Prince: Presses Nationales.
- Haiti in the World Economy: Dependency, Labor Migration, and Transnationalism. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. Forthcoming
- 1984 “Patterns of Adaptation of Haitian Immigrants of the 1970s in New York City.” Ed. D. Dissertation, Teachers College; Columbia University.
- 1995 The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity. New York: Free Press.
- 1983 Nation and Nationalism. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1992 “Postscript: Haitian Transnational Practice and National Discourse.” In Caribbean Immigrants in New York. Ed. C. Sutton and E. Chaney. Rev. ed. New York: Center for Migration Studies.
- 1977 “Ethnic Groups Are Made, Not Born.” In Ethnic Encounters: Identities and Contexts. Ed. G. Hicks and P. Leis. North Scituate, MA: Duxbury Press.
- 1975 “The Formation of a Haitian Ethnic Group.” Ph.D. dissertation, Columbia University.
- 1992 “Transnationalism: A New Analytic Framework for Understanding Migration,” In Towards a Transnational Perspective on Migration: Race, Class, Ethnicity and Nationalism Reconsidered. Ed. N. Glick Schiller, L. Basch and C. Blanc-Szanton. New York: New York Academy of Sciences. , and
- 1995 “From Immigrant to Transmigrant: Theorizing Transnational Migration.” Anthropology Quarterly, 68(1): 48–63. , and
- 1987 “Exile, Ethnic, Refugee: Changing Organizational Identities Among Haitian Immigrants.” Migration Today, 15: 7–11. , , , , and
- 1992 “All in the Same Boat? Unity and Diversity in Haitian Organizing in New York City,” In Caribbean Life in New York City. Ed. C. Sutton and E. Chaney. Rev. ed. New York: Center for Migration Studies. , , , , and
- 1990 “‘Everywhere We Go We Are in Danger’: Ti Manno and the Emergence of a Haitian Transnational Identity,” American Ethnologist, 17(2): 329–347. and
- 1988 Ethnicity and Nations; Processes of Interethnic Relations in Latin America, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific. Austin: University of Texas Press. , and
- 1992 “Ethnicity and Nationalism in Europe Today.” Anthropology Today, 8(1): 3–8.
- 1990 Nations and Nationalism Since 1780. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1995 “Model Underdevelopment,” In Haiti, Dangerous Crossroads. Ed. NACLA. Boston, MA: South End Press.
- 1990 “How U.S. Policies Contribute to Haiti's Misery,” Utne Reader, 38: 58–59.March-April.
- 1979 Culture et Dictature en Haïti: l'Imaginaire Sous Control. [Culture and Dictatorship: The Imaginary Under Control]. Paris: L'Harmattan.
- 1994 Nationalism. New York: Oxford University Press. and
- 1995 “The Tenth Department,” In Haiti, Dangerous Crossroads. Ed. NACLA. Boston, MA: South End Press.
- 1994 Imagining Home: Class, Culture, and Nationalism in the African Diaspora. New York: Verso. and
- 1987 Main Currents in Caribbean Thought. Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1979 Peasants and Poverty: A Study of Haiti. New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Moman Kreyòl 1991a WLIB-AM, February 10.
- Moman Kreyòl 1991b WLIB-AM, January 5.
- 1979 From Dessalines to Duvalier: Race, Colour, and National Independence in Haiti. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1986 Racial Formation in the United States. New York: Routledge. and
- 1991 “Essai d'Estimation de l'Apport Economique du Dixième Departement à la Mère-Patrie.” [Essay to Estimate the Economic Contribution of the Tenth Department to the Mother Land]. Laics Engagés [Engaged Lay People], 2(2): 6–11.
- 1992 Haiti and the United States: The Psychological Moment. Athens: University of Georgia Press.
- 1900 De la Rehabilitation de la Race Noire par la République d'Haïti [Of the Rehabilitation of the Black Race by the Republic of Haiti]. Port-au-Prince: Verrollot.
- “Pwojè Lavalas ak Batay Nasyon-an pou Demokrasy.” [The Lavalas Project and the Nation's Struggle for Democracy]. n.d.
- 1996 “Miami Money and the Home Girl.” Paper presented to the panel on Transnationalism and Work: Whither Gender?, Annual Meeting of the American Ethnological Society, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 1992a “‘A Lavalas at Home/A Lavalas for Home’: Inflections of Transnationalism in the Discourse of Haitian President Aristide,” In Towards a Transnational Perspective on Migration: Race, Class, Ethnicity and Nationalism Reconsidered. Ed. N. Glick Schiller, L. Basch and C. Blanc-Szanton. New York: New York Academy of Sciences.
- 1992b “They Will Remember Us in the House: The Power of Haitian Transnational Migration,” Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. of Anthropology, University of Virginia.
- 1984 Global Apartheid; Refugee, Racism, and the New World Order. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1971 The United States Occupation of Haiti, 1915–1934. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Transnational Processes, Nation-States and the Politics of Identity.. , and Forthcoming
- 1989 Strangers from a Different Shore: A History of Asian Americans. Boston: Little, Brown.
- 1990 Haiti, State Against Nation: The Origin and Legacy of Duvalierism. New York: Monthly Review Press.
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP) 1985 Rapport sur l'Assistance Externe en Haïti. Port-au-Prince: UN Publications.
- 1984 “Foreign Assistance and Haiti's Economic Development,” In Haiti — Today and Tomorrow. Ed. C. R. Foster and A. Valdman. Landham, MD: University Press of America.
- 1976 Peasants into Frenchmen: The Modernization of Rural Prance, 1870–1914. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 1990 “Implications of Transnational Migration for Nationalism, the Caribbean Example.” Paper presented at the “Rethinking Migration, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationalism in Transnational Perspective Conference”: New York, Academy of Sciences, May 3–5.
- 1994 “The Colonial Construction of African Nations,” In Nationalism. Ed. J. Hutchinson and A. D. Smith. New York: Oxford University Press.