8: The Role of Nativity and Ethnicity in the Residential Settlement Patterns of Blacks in New York City, 1970–1990
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
2000 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: Immigration Today: Pastoral and Research Challenges
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 109–136, May 2000
How to Cite
Lobo, A. P. and Salvo, J. J. (2000), 8: The Role of Nativity and Ethnicity in the Residential Settlement Patterns of Blacks in New York City, 1970–1990. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 16: 109–136. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.2000.tb00265.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1997 “White Neighborhoods and Assimilation: The Greater New York Region, 1980-1990,” Social Forces, 75(3), 883–909. , and
- 1987 The Hispanic Population of the United States. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and
- 1925 “The Growth of A City: An Introduction to a Research Project.” In The City. Ed. R. E. Park, E. W. Burgess, and R. D. McKenzie. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. Pp. 47–62.
- 1994 “Changes in the Segregation of Whites from Blacks during the 1980s: Small Steps Toward a More Integrated Society,” American Sociological Review, 59:23–45. and
- 1996 “The Residential Preferences of Blacks and Whites: A Four-Metropolis Analysis.” Paper presented at the 1996 Annual Meetings of the Population Association of America, New Orleans, Louisiana. , , and
- 1988 Regional and Metropolitan Growth and Decline in the United States. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and
- 1963 Beyond the Melting Pot Cambridge: MIT Press. and
- 1979 “Racial and Ethnic Segregation in Boston, 1830-1970,” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 441:41–54.
- 1975 “Ethnic and Racial Segregation in the New York Metropolis.” In Urban Social Segregation. E. C. Peach. London: Logamn Group.
- 1973 Ethnic and Racial Segregation in the New York Metropolis: Residential Patterns Among White Ethnic Groups, Blacks, and Puerto Ricans. New York: Prager Publishers.
- 1992 Caribbean New York: Black Immigrants and the Politics of Race. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1988 “From Ghetto Elite to Service Sector: A Comparison of the Role of Two Waves of West Indian Immigrants,” Ethnic Groups, 7(3):173–203.
- 1963 Ethnic Patterns in American Cities. New York: The Free Press of Glencoe.
- 1993 “Socioeconomic and Residential Assimilation of Asians and Hispanics in the United States.” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan.
- 1997 “Immigration to New York City in the 1990s: The Saga Continues,” Migration World, 25(3):14–17. and
- 1998 “Changing U.S. Immigration Law and the Occupational Selectivity of Asian Immigrants,” International Migration Review, 32(3):737–760. and
- 1996 The Newest New Yorkers: 1990-1994 New York: New York City Department of City Planning. , and
- 1997 Still a Global City: The Racial and Ethnic Segmentation of New York. Albany: State University of New York.
- 1925 “The Ecological Approach to the Study of the Human Community.” In The City. Ed. R. E. Park, E. W. Burgess and R. D. McKenzie. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. Pp. 63–79.
- 1985 “Process of Hispanic and Black Spatial Assimilation,” American Journal of Sociology, 89:836–873. and
- 1993 American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. and
- 1994 Racial Formation in the United States. New York: Routledge Press. and
- 1925 “The Urban Community as a Spacial Pattern and Moral Order.” In The Urban Community. Ed. E. W. Burgess. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. Pp. 3–18.
- 1950 “Our Racial Frontier in the Pacific.” Reprinted in Race and Culture: Essays in the Sociology of Contemporary Man. New York: Free Press.
- 1996 “The Influence of Race on Hispanic Housing Choices: New York City, 1978-1987,” Urban Affairs Review, (32):217–243.
- 1972 Population History of New York City. New York: Syracuse University Press.
- 1990 “Reconceptualizing Migration as Household Phenomenon: Outmigration from New York City by Race and Hispanic Origin,” International Migration, 28(3):311–326. , and
- 1994 Puerto Rican New Yorkers in 1990. New York: New York City Department of City Planning. , and
- 1997 “Immigration and the Changing Demographic Profile of New York.” In The City and the World: New York's Global Future. Ed. M. Crahan and A. Vourvoulias-Bush. New York: Council on Foreign Relations Press. and
- 1965 Negroes in Cities: Residential Segregation and Neighborhood Change. Chicago: Aldine Press. and
- 1981 Ethnic America: A History. New York: Basic Books.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census 1991 New York Housing and Vacancy Survey. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Bureau of the Census.
- 1994 “Ethnic and Racial Identities of Second-Generation Black Immigrants in New York City,” International Migration Review, 28(4):795–820.