Global Mobility and the Quest for an International Migration Regime
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
2008 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: International Migration & Development: Continuing the Dialogue: Legal and Policy Perspectives
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 103–143, January 2008
How to Cite
Koslowski, R. (2008), Global Mobility and the Quest for an International Migration Regime. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 21: 103–143. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.2008.tb00395.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 9/11 Commission 2004 The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, W.W. Norton, New York, USA.
- 9/11 Commission 2004a 9/11 and Terrorist Travel: Staff Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, available online at http://www.9-11commission.gov/staffstatements/index.htm.
- 2004 Nuclear Terrorism: The Ultimate Preventable Catastrophe, New York Times Books.
- 2001 International Migration Policies: 1950–2000”, International Migration, 39 (6): 7–20.
- 2003 Address to European Parliament Committees on Citizens' Freedoms and Rights, Justice and Home Affairs and Legal Affairs and the Internal Market, 16 December 2003. EU/US talks on transfers of airline passengers' personal data, RAPID, SPEECH: 03/613, (16 December 2003).
- 1999 Statement before the House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims, (18 March 1999).
- Card Technology 2007 E-Passports: The First Wave”, Card Technology, 12(2).
- CBP 2004 Undertaking of the Department of Homeland Security Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Annex I to European Commission 2004a.
- 2002 The Securitization of Migration in Western Societies: Ambivalent Discourses and Policies”, Alternatives, 27. and
- 2008 Remarks by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Fifth Year Anniversary, Department of Homeland Security Press Release, (6 March 2008).
- 1999 Cross-Border Travel in North America: The Challenge of US Section 110 Legislation”, Canadian American Public Policy Occasional Paper Series of the Canadian-American Center, University of Maine at Orono, 40: 25–38.
- 1990 The International Telecommunications Regime: The Political Roots of Regimes for High Technology”, International Organization, 44(2).
- 2007 International Non-regimes: A Research Agenda”, International Studies Review, 9 (2): 230–258. , , , and
- DHS 2003 Fact Sheet: Homeland Security and European Commission Reach PNR Agreement”, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of the Press Secretary, available online at http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?content3036.
- DHS 2008 Homeland Security Budget in Brief: Fiscal Year 2009, available online at http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/budgetbib-fy2009.pdf.
- DIMA 2005 Population Flows: Immigration Aspects. Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Australian Government.
- 2005 Globalisation of migration control. A tug-war between restrictionists and the human agency?”, Crossing Over: Comparing Recent Migration in Europe and the United States, Holger Henke (ed.), Lexington Books, New York, USA.
- EurActiv.com 2006 EU withdraws proposal for biometric chips in visas”, EurActiv.com, (22 March 2006), available online at http://www.euractiv.com/en/security/eu-withdraws-proposal-biometric-chips-visas/article-153614.
- European Commission 2003 Establishing a European Agency for the Management of the Operational Co-Operation at External Borders”, RAPID Press Release, IP: 03/1519, (11 November 2003).
- European Commission 2003a Transfer of Air Passenger Name Record (PNR) Data: A Global Approach”, Communication from the Commission to the Council and the Parliament, COM 826 final, Brussels, Belgium, (16 December 2003).
- European Commissio 2004 Proposal for a Council Regulation on Standards for Security Features and Biometrics in EU Citizens Passports” COM 116 Final, 2004/0039 (CNS), (18 February 2004).
- European Commission 2004a Draft Decision on the Adequate Protection of Personal Data Contained in the PNR of Air Passengers Transferred to the United States' Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, C5–0000/2004.
- European Commission 2004b Proposal for a Council Regulation establishing a Community Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders,” COM(2004) 391, final 2004/0127 (CNS), Brussels, 26.5.2004.
- European Commission 2008 New tools for an integrated European Border Management Strategy”, Press Release, MEMO/08/85, (13 February 2008).
- European Council 2005 Extraordinary Council Meeting, Justice and Home Affairs, 11116/05, Presse 187, Brussels, Belgium, (13 July 2005).
- European Parliament 2004 Motion for a Resolution on the Draft Commission Decision noting the Adequate Protection of Personal Data Contained in the PNR of Air Passengers Transferred to the United States' Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, (C5–0000/2004), Committee on Citizens' Freedoms and Rights, Justice and Home Affairs, (17 February 2004).
- 1988 Managing International Markets: Developing Countries and the Commodity Trade Regime, Columbia University Press, New York, USA. and
- 2001 Governing the Internet: The Emergence of an International Regime, Boulder, Co., Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- 1995 Modes of Immigration Politics in Liberal Democratic States”, International Migration Review, 29(4).
- 1981 War and Change in World Politics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1998 Huddled Masses and Uncertain Shores: Insights Into Irregular Migration, Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Ghosh, B. (ed.) 2000 Managing Migration: Time for a New International Regime, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1989 Do Regimes Matter? Epistemic Communication and Mediterranean Pollution Control”, International Organization, 43: 377–404.
- 1995 The New Untouchables: Immigration and the New World Worker, I.B. Tauris, London, UK.
- 2007 Should we have a WTO for international migration? Economic Policy, 22(50).Direct Link:
- 1992 Migration and International Relations: Cooperation and Control in the European Community”, International Migration Review, 26(2).
- 2000 Migration and the ‘New’ International Order: The Missing Regime Ghosh..
- HHS Inspector General 2000 Birth Certificate Fraud, Office of the Inspector General, Department of Health and Human Services, ŒI-07-99-00570, (September 2000).
- ICAO 2004 Biometrics Deployment of Machine Readable Travel Documents”, International Civil Aviation Organization, ICAO TAG MRTD/NTWG Technical Report Version 2.0, (21 May 2004).
- ICAO 2005 Guidelines on Passenger Name Record (PNR) Data Transfer to States”, Air Transportation Committee, 175th Session of the Council AT-WP/1995, 5/5/05.
- ICAO 2006 International Civil Aviation Organization, ICAO MRTD Report, 1(1).
- Immigration Bureau 2007 Outline of New Immigration Procedures: Requirements for the Provision of Personal Information”, Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Justice, Japan, available online at http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan642.pdf.
- IOM 1994 Seminar on International Responses to Trafficking in Migrants and the Safeguarding of Migrant Rights”, International Organization for Migration, Geneva, Switzerland, (26–28 October 1994).
- IOM 2008 Return Assistance to Migrants and Governments”, International Organization for Migration. accessed March 1, 2008, available online at http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pid/747.
- Ireland 2004 An International Framework for the Transfer of Passenger Name Record (PNR) Data”, Working Paper presented by Ireland on behalf of the European Community and its Member States, Facilitation Division, ICAO Cairo, Egypt, (22 March to 2 April 2004).
- 1983 Security Regimes” in Stephen D. Krasner, International Regimes, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- 2005 Statement at Hearing on Vulnerabilities in the U.S. Passport System Can be Exploited by Criminals and Terrorists before the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, United State Senate, (June 29, 2005).
- 2007 The Importance of the Integrity of Breeder Documents for the Issuance of IDs and Travel Documents, presentation at the Third Symposium and Exposition on ICAO MRTDs, Biometrics and Security Standards, ICAO Headquarters, Montreal, Canada, (October 1–3, 2007).
- 1984 After Hegemony: Cooperation and Discord in the World Political Economy, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 1973 World in Depression, 1929–1939, University of California Press, Berkeley, California, USA.
- 1998 European Migration Regimes: Emerging, Enlarging and Deteriorating”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 23, (4): 735–749.
- 2000 Migrants and Citizens: Demographic Change in the European States System, Cornell University Press.
- 2001 Economic Globalization, Human Smuggling and Global Governance”, Global Human Smuggling in Comparative Perspective, D. Kyle and R. Koslowski (eds.), Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2005 Real Challenges for Virtual Borders: The Implementation of US-VISIT, Migration Policy Institute, Washington, DC, USA, (June 2005).
- 1983 International Regimes, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- 1983a Structural Causes and Regime Consequences: Regimes as Intervening Variables”, International Regimes, Krasner (ed.), Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- 2005 Paper Walls Are Easier to Tear Down: Passport Costs and Legal Barriers to Emigration”, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3783, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2006 Unequal Access to Foreign Spaces: How States Use Visa Restrictions to Regulate Mobility in a Globalised World”, Transactions of the British Institute of Geographers, 31 (1): 72–84.
- 2003 Human Security-Protecting and Empowering the People Global Governance, 9. ,
- 2006 Modes of Entry for the Unauthorized Migrant Population”, Pew Hispanic Center, Fact Sheet, (May 22, 2006).
- 2004 Letter to Jim Sensenbrenner Jr., Chairman, Committee on the Judiciary, House of Representatives, (17 March 2004)., available online at http://www.house.gov/judiciary/ridge031704.pdf. and
- 1975 International Responses to Technology: Concepts and Trends”, International Organization, 29, (3).
- 2003 Have Documents, Will Travel: The Role of Documents in Illegal Migration”, paper presented at the International Studies Association Convention, Portland, Oregon, USA, (25 February- March 2003).
- 2005 When States Prefer Non-Citizens Over Citizens: Conflict Over Illegal Immigration into Malaysia”, International Studies Quarterly, 49 (1): 101–122.
- 1997 Statement by Austrian Vice-Chancellor and Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs, Wolfgang Schuessel, to the fifty-Second Session of the United Nations General Assembly, New York, (25 September 1997), Austrian Information Service, Washington, DC.
- 2001 Cold War Traffic in Sexual Labor and Its Foes: Some Contemporary Lessons”, Global Human Smuggling in Comparative Perspective, D. Kyle and R. Koslowski (eds.), Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- 1993 Human Rights, Principled Issue Networks and Sovereignty in Latin America”, International Organization, 47 (3).
- 2004 Crime Pays, Terrorists Find: Group in Europe Smuggles Immigrants and Forges Passports The Wall Street Journal, (14 April, 2004). , and
- 2005 Migrant Membership as an Instituted Process: Transnationalism, the State and the Extra-Territorial Conduct of Mexican Politics”, International Migration and the Globalization of Domestic Politics, Rey Koslowski (ed.), Routledge, London, UK.
- 2000 Why do we need a General Agreement on Movments of People (GAMP)?”, Managing Migration: Time for a New International Regime, B. Ghosh (ed.), Oxford University Press, Oxford, USA.
- TIA 2008 Double-Digit Decline in Overseas Travel to the United States Persists Through 2007: Overseas Travel to the United States is 11 Percent Below Pre-9/11 Levels Despite Weakening U.S. Dollar and Booming International Growth, According to Travel Industry Estimates”, Travel Industry Association, Press Release, (21 February, 2008).
- Tirman, John (ed.) 2004 The Maze of Fear: Security and Migration After 9/11, New Press, New York, USA.
- US GPO 2000 Data Management Improvement Act of 2000, Public Law 106–215, Government Printing Office, Washington, USA.
- US GPO 2001 Aviation and Transportation Security Act, Public Law 107–71 Government Printing Office, Washington, (19 November 2001).
- US House 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, US Congressional Record—House, H11787, (28 September 1996).
- US House 2004 Integrity and Security at the Border: The US-VISIT Program”, Hearing Before the Subcommittee on Infrastructure and Border Security of the Select Committee on Homeland Security, House of Representatives, (28 January, 2004).
- US Senate 1998 Senate Judiciary Committee Report, submitted with The Border Improvement and Immigration Act of 1998, Senate Report 105–197.
- U.S. Senate 2007 Improving America's Security Act of 2007: 4.
- UN 2000 United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime, General Assembly, United Nations A/RES/55/25, (15 November, 2000).
- UN 2003 Background Report on Migration Prepared for the Senior Management Group”, draft, Migration Working Group, United Nations, (18 March, 2003).
- UN 2006 Trends in Total Migrant Stock: The 2005 Revision, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. POP/DB/MIG/Rev.2005/Doc., (February 2006).
- UNDP 1992 Human Development Report, Oxford University Press, New York, USA.
- UNWTO 2008 UNWTO World Tourism Barometer, UN World Tourism Organization, 6 (1), (January).
- UNWTO 2007 Tourism Highlights, UN World Tourism Organization.
- UNWTO 2006 Tourism Market Trends, UN World Tourism Organization.
- UNWTO 2005 Tourism Market Trends, UN World Tourism Organization.
- 1993 Managing Non-Proliferation Regimes in the 1990s: Power, Politics and Policies, Pinter Publishers with the Royal Institute of International Affairs, London, UK.
- WTO 1998 Presence of Natural Workers (Mode 4)”, Background Note, Secretariat, World Trade Organization, Council for Trade in Services, S/C/W/75 (8 December, 1998).
- WTO 1994 Annex on movement of natural persons supplying services under the Agreement”, World Trade Organization, available online at http://www.wto.org/English/tratope/serve/8-anmvnte.htm.
- 1989 The Politics of International Regime Formation”, International Organization, 43 (3).
- 1996 Governing Global Networks: International Regimes for Transportation and Communications, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1991 Bounded States in a Global Market: The Uses of International Migration Regimes”, Social Theory for a Changing Society, Coleman, P. B. and J. S. Coleman (eds.), Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- 1992 Labour Migration and International Economic Regimes: Bretton Woods and After”, International Migration Systems: A Global Approach, M. M. Kritz, L. Lean Lim, H. Zlotnik (eds.), Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.