The Costs and Benefits of Migration to Sending States: the More You Look, the Worse It Gets
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
2008 Center for Migration Studies
Center for Migration Studies special issues
Special Issue: International Migration & Development: Continuing the Dialogue: Legal and Policy Perspectives
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 187–207, January 2008
How to Cite
de la Garza, R. (2008), The Costs and Benefits of Migration to Sending States: the More You Look, the Worse It Gets. Center for Migration Studies special issues, 21: 187–207. doi: 10.1111/j.2050-411X.2008.tb00401.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2012
- 1991 The economic uses and impact of international remittances in rural Egypt”, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 39(4): 695–722.
- 2005 Do International Migration and Remittances Reduce Poverty in Developing Countries?”, The World Bank. and
- 1973 Emigration, espace et sous-développement”, International Migration, 11(3): 112–117.
- 2006 Determinants of workers' remittances: Turkish evidence from high frequency data”, Eastern European Economics 44(5): 91–100. and
- 2005 Foreign Affairs, Newsletter, (May/June), available online at http://www.Cfr.org. .
- The Associated Press' International Herald Tribune. 2008 Shootout in Western Mexico kills seven federal police, (27 May).
- 1974 Review Article: Exit Voice and Loyalty. British Journal of Political Science, 4: 79–107.
- 2003 Migrant remittances and (under)development in Mexico. Critique of Anthropology, 23(3): 305–336.
- 2007 Remittances, Migration and Social Development: A Conceptual Review of the Literature”, Programme Paper Number 34, United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD).
- 2006 Migration, remittances and regional development in southern Morocco”, Geoforum, 37(4): 565–580.
- 2008 Personal interviews, Quito, Ecuador.
- 2006 Beyond Networks: The Impact of Politics and Policy on Migration, Paper presented at Seminar on Migration Politics and Policy, Columbia University, (December). and
- 2000 Political Migration: Finding New Ways to Understand Mexican Migration to the United States”, paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Washington, D.C. USA. , and
- 2002 Sending Money Home, Boulder, Roman and Littlefield. and
- 2008 http://www.npr.org, May 2.
- 2004 The Economics of Migrants' Remittances”, chapter prepared for the Handbook of Economics of Reciprocity, Giving and Altruism, North Holland: Elsevier. and
- 2005 Labour migration: a developmental path or a low-level trap? Development in Practice, 15(5): 617–630.
- 2002 The Other Side of the Paradox: The Risk of Low Birth Weight Among Infants of Migrant and Non-migrant Households within Mexico”, International Migration Review, 36: 746–765. and
- 1995 Conceptualizing international labour migration: a structural perspective”, International Migration Review, 29(2): 317–351. and
- 2006 Mexican Officials Feather Their Nests While Decrying U. S. Immigration Policy, Center for Immigration Studies. Washington, D.C., USA (April).
- 2003 The Economics of Transnational Living”, International Migration Review, 37(3): 666–699.
- 1970 Exit, Voice and Loyalty, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
- 1974 Exit, Voice and Loyalty; Responses to Decline in Firms, Organizations, and States, Harvard University Press. Cambridge, Mass, USA.
- 2002 Transnationalism and American Exports in an English-speaking World”, International Migration Review, 36 (3): 702–725. , and
- 1980 Migration from the rural areas of poor countries: The impact on rural productivity and income distribution”, World Development, 8(1): 1–24.
- 2005 Globalization, Migration and Development: The Role of Mexican Migrant Remittances”, Economia, 6, (1): 217–256.
- 2005 International Migration and Economic Development: Lessons from Low-Income Countries”, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, and Northampton, USA, in association with the Expert Group on Development Issues, Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2004 International Migration Regimes and Economic Development”, paper presented at the Third Coordination Meeting on International Migration, United Nations, New York, (October).
- Maimbo, S. and Ratha, D. (eds.) 2005 Remittances: Development Impact and Prospects, IBRD, Washington, D.C, USA.
- 2004 Challenge Paper on Population and Migration”, Copenhagen Consensus 2004, available online at http:www.copenhagenconsensus.com/Default.aspxID186.
- 1998 Worlds in Motion: Understanding International Migration at the End of the Millennium, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , et al.
- 1999 Why Does Immigration Occur? A Theoretical Synthesis”, in The Handbook of International Migration: The American Experience, edited by Charles Hirschman, Philip Kasinitz and Josh DeWind, 34–52, Russell Sage Foundation, New York, USA.
- 1998 Worlds in Motion: Understanding International Migration at the End of the Millennium, International Studies in Demography, Clarendon Press and Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York, UK and USA. , , , , , and
- 2001 Overseas Work Experience, Savings and Entrepreneurship Amongst Return Migrants to LDCs”, The Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 48: 164–78. , and
- 2001 Cultural Production and Consumption in Transnational Social Fields: Exploring Meanings with Rosaries and Flowers, paper presented at the Research Seminar on Mexico and U.S.-Mexico Relations, Center for U.S.-Mexican Studies, University of California, San Diego, (17 January).
- 2005 Migration, Remittances and Development: A Review of Global Evidence, paper presented at the Plenary Session of the African Economic Research Consortium, Nairobi, Kenya, (29 May). and
- 2004 Do Migrant Remittances Minimize the Impact of Macrovolatility on the Poor in Ghana?, Final Report Submitted to the Global Development Network (GDN). and
- 1981 The migrant syndrome: Seasonal U.S. labor migration and rural development in central Mexico”, Human Organization, 40(1): 56–66.
- 1979 From caves to main street: Return migration and the transformations of a Spanish village”, Papers in Anthropology, 20(1): 57–74.
- 1992 Migration, development and remittances in rural Mexico”, International Migration, 30(2): 127–153.
- Schiff, M., A. Morrison and M. Sjöblom (eds.) 2007 The International Migration of Women, Palgrave, Macmillan, World Bank.
- 2005 Two Current Issues Facing Developing Countries”, World Economic Outlook: A survey by the staff of the International Monetary Fund, Chapter Two.
- 1999 The New Economics of Labour Migration and the Role of Remittances in the Migration Process”, International Migration, 37(1): 63–88.
- 2007 Migration networks and micro-enterprises in Mexico”, Journal of Development Economics, 80(2): 509–528. and