Atmospheric homeostasis by and for the biosphere: the gaia hypothesis
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
1974 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 26, Issue 1-2, pages 2–10, February 1974
How to Cite
LOVELOCK, J. E. and MARGULIS, L. (1974), Atmospheric homeostasis by and for the biosphere: the gaia hypothesis. Tellus, 26: 2–10. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1974.tb01946.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received May 8; revised version August 20, 1973
- 1951. The physical basis of life. Routledge and Kegan Paul, London.
- 1951. The thermodynamics of the steady state. Methuen and Co., London.
- 1969. A proof that essergy is the only consistent measure of potential work. Ph.D. Thesis, Dartmouth College, University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- 1967. Life detection by atmospheric analysis. Icarus, 7, 149–159. &
- 1954. Biochemistry of the terrestrial atmosphere. In Chapter 8 of the Solar system (ed. Kuiper). University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1972. The cycle of atmospheric gases-natural and man made. Quart. J. R. Met. Soc., 98, 711–729.
- 1923. Thermodynamics and the free energy of chemical substrates, Chapter 39. McGraw Hill, New York. &
- 1972. Gaia as seen through the atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment, 6, 579–580.
- 1969. Planetary atmospheres: compositional and other changes associated with the presence of life, advanced space experiments (Ed. O. L.Tiffany and E.Zaiteff) pp. 179–193. American Astronautical Soc., Washington, D.C. &
- 1972. Oxygen in the contemporary atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment, 6, 575–578. &
- 1973. Biological modulation of the Earth's atmosphere. Icarus, in press. &
- 1972. Earth and Mars: evolution of atmospheres and surface temperatures. Science, 177, 52–56. &
- 1944. What is Life? Cambridge University Press.
- 1963. The mathematical theory of communication. University of Illinois Press. &
- 1966. Regulation of O2, N2, and CO2 in the atmosphere: thoughts of a laboratory chemist. Tellus, 18, 198–206.
- 1971. Energy and information. Scientific American, 224 No. 3, 179–188. &
- 1961. The logic of personal knowledge. Routledge and Kegan Paul, London.
- 1972. Atmospheric CH4, CO and CO2. J. Geophys. Res., 77, 4477–4493. , &
- 1972. Biological effects in the early atmosphere. Nature, 238, 163–164.