Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory Contribution No. 2060.
Gas exchange rates between air and sea1
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
1974 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 26, Issue 1-2, pages 21–35, February 1974
How to Cite
BROECKER, W. S. and PENG, T.-H. (1974), Gas exchange rates between air and sea. Tellus, 26: 21–35. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1974.tb01948.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received August 16, 1973; revised version January 2, 1974
- 1957. The distribution of carbon-14 in nature. Tellus, 9, 28–32. &
- 1967. The occurrence and distribution of methane in the marine environment. Deep-Sea Res., 14, 673–684. &
- 1972. On the seasonal changes in the depth of the mixed layer in the North Pacific Ocean. J. Geophys. Res., 77, 7138–7150.
- 1969. Equilibration of atmospheric carbon dioxide with sea water — possible enzymatic control of the rate. Science, 164, 1395–1397. &
- 1967. Transfer and exchange of C14 between the atmosphere and the surface water of the Pacific Ocean. In Radioactive dating methods of low-level counting, I.A.E.A., Vienna, 105–115. &
- 1969. Diffusion coefficients of noble gases in water. J. Chem. Phys., 50, 1086–1087. &
- 1960. On the exchange of CO2 between the atmosphere and the sea. Tellus, 12, 274–281.
- 1959. Changes in the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere and the sea due to fossil combustion. In The atmosphere and the sea in motion, Rossby Memorial Volume, 130–142. &
- 1963. Radioisotopes and large-scale oceanic mixing. In The sea, Vol. 2, Ch. 4 (ed. M. N.Hill), 88–018.
- 1970. Interchange of water between the major oceans. J. Geophys. Res., 75, 3545–3552. &
- 1971. The vertical distribution of radon in the BOMEX area. Earth Planet. Sci. Letters, 11, 99–108. &
- 1957. The natural distribution of radiocarbon and the exchange time of carbon dioxide between atmosphere and sea. Tellus, 9, 1–17.
- 1963. The natural distribution of radiocarbon: Mixing rates in the sea and residence times of carbon and water. In Earth science and meteoritics (ed. J.Geiss and E. D.Goldberg), pp. 103–114.
- 1970. Gas-liquid reactions. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- 1964. Diffusion of dissolved gases in liquids. Chem. Rev., 64, 527–550.
- 1969. Effects of hydration on carbon dioxide exchange across an air-water interface. J. Geophys. Res., 74, 456–464. &
- 1963. On the exchange of gases between the atmosphere and the sea. Deep-Sea Res., 10, 195–207.
- 1965. Carbon dioxide in surface waters of the Pacific Ocean. 2. Calculation of the exchange with the atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res., 70, 6099–6102.
- 1965. Carbon dioxide in surface waters of the Pacific Ocean. 1. Measurements of the distribution. J. Geophys. Res., 70, 6087–6097. , &
- 1973. Processes of gas exchange across an airwater interface. Deep-Sea Res., 20, 221–238.
- 1938, Atlas of climatic charts of the oceans. US Weather Bureau Publ. No. 1247. Charts 27–30. ,
- 1967. Transfer of bomb C14 and tritium from the atmosphere to the ocean. Internal mixing of the ocean on the basis of tritium and C14 profiles. In Radioactive dating and methods of low-level counting, I.A.E.A., Vinna, pp. 93–104. &
- 1967. On the transfer fo radiocarbon in nature. In Radioactive dating and methods of low-level counting, I.A.E.A., Vienna, pp. 119–123.
- 1968. Further investigation on the trans- of radiocarbon in nature. J. Geophys. Res., 73, 3617–3635.
- 1965. The concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide in Hawaii. J. Geophys. Res., 70, 6053–6076. &
- 1973. Determination of gas exchange rates across sea-air interface by the radon method. Ph. D. Thesis, Columbia University.
- 1973. Surface radon measurements in the North Pacific Ocean Station PAPA (in press). , &
- 1971. Carbon dioxide exchange at the air-sea interface—flux augmentation by chemical reaction. J. Geophys. Res., 76, 1539–1549. &
- 1957. The atom bomb effect: The C14 content of the atmosphere, biosphere, and surface waters of the oceans. N. Z. Jour. Sci. and Tech. B38, 38–883. &
- 1970. Exchange rates between the atmosphere and the oceans as shown by recent C14 measurements in the South Pacific. Nobel Symposium 12, Radiocarbon Variations and Absolute Chronology (ed. I. U.Olsson), pp. 355–377. &
- 1957. Carbon dioxide exchange between atmosphere and ocean and the question of an increase of atmospheric CO2 during past decades. Tellus, 9, 18–27. &
- 1972. Atmospheric carbon dioxide: Its role in maintaining phytoplankton standing crops. Science, 177, 1192–1194. , , , , &
- 1961. CO2 in the atmosphere and in the Atlantic Ocean water. J. Geophys. Res., 66, 477–494.
- 1955. Correlation of diffusion coefficients in dilute solutions. Am. Inst. Chem. Engrs. J., 1, 264–270. &
- 1968. Radiocarbon from nuclear weapons tests. J. Geophys. Res., 73, 1185–1200. &