The National Center for Atmospheric Research is sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
The atmospheric cycle of methane
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1974 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 26, Issue 1-2, pages 58–70, February 1974
How to Cite
EHHALT, D. H. (1974), The atmospheric cycle of methane. Tellus, 26: 58–70. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1974.tb01952.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received May 21; revised version September 6, 1973
- 1972. Stratospheric methane from infrared spectra. In Proc. Sym. Sources, Sinks and Concentrations of Carbon Monoxide and Methane in the Earth's Environment, St. Petersburg Beach, Fla. August 15–17, pp. 12. 1–12. 11. &
- 1961. Isotopic composition of atmospheric hydrogen and methane. Nature, 192, 648–649. , &
- 1966. Measurements of methane in the troposphere and lower stratosphere. Tellus, 18, 221–225. &
- 1968. Tritium and deuterium in atmospheric methane. J. Geophys. Res., 73, 1149–1153. &
- 1973. Private communication.
- 1962. The tritium content of atmospheric methane, Proc. Sym. Tritium Phys. Biol. Sci. Vienna Austria, 1961, Vol. 1, p. 55. , , , &
- 1973. Gas exchange rates between the ocean and atmosphere as determined by the radon method. In Proc. Sym. on Atmospheric Trace Gases, Mainz, Germany, April 2–6. &
- 1969. Atmospheric hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide measurements at Point Barrow, Alaska. Environ. Sci. Tech., 3 251. , &
- 1943. Ebullition of gases from marsh and lake waters. Pub. 59, Cheasapeake Biol. Lab. 42.
- 1972. Balloon borne spectroscopic measurement of stratospheric methane. In Proc. Sym. Sources, Sinks and Concentrations of Carbon Monoxide in the Earth's Environment, St. Petersburg Beach, Fla., August 15–17, pp. 13. 1–13. 11. &
- 1972. Gas phase nitrogen and methane chemistry in the atmosphere. Rept. AP-10, Institute of Meteorology, Univ. Stockholm.
- 1972. Vertical profiles of CH4 in the troposphere and stratosphere. In Proc. Sym. Sources, Sinks, and Concentrations of Carbon Monoxide in the Earth's Environment, St. Petersburg Beach, Fla., August 15–17, pp. 11. 1–11. 11. &
- 1973. The concentration of molecular H2 and CH4 in the stratosphere. In Proc. Sym. on Atmospheric Ozone, Pure and Appl. Geophys. 106–108, 1353, 1973. &
- 1972. The concentration of atmospheric methane between 44 and 62 kilometers altitude. J. Geophys. Res., 77, 2193–3296. , &
- 1965. Abundance of methane in the earth's atmosphere. Tech. Rept. on ONR contract NONR-656 (12), NR 014–401. , &
- 1970. Hydroxyl radical kinetics by kinetic spectroscopy, VI. Reactions with alkanes in the range 300–500°K. J. Chem. Phys., 53, 1070–1076.
- 1972. Biological cycling of atmospheric trace gases. Final rept. NASW-2128, 117–154. &
- 1971. The potential for methanecarbon cycling in Lake Erie. In Proc. 14th Conf. Great Lakes Res. Int. Assoc., Great Lakes Res, pp. 236–240. , &
- 1948. Circular casual systems in ecology. Ann. New York Acad. Sci., 50 221.
- 1954. The biochemistry of the terrestrial atmosphere. In The solar system. II. The Earth as a planet (ed. G. P.Kuiper), pp. 371–433. Chicago Press.
- 1957. A treatise on limnology, pp. 631–632. Wiley, New York.
- 1973. Soil's potential as a sink for atmospheric carbon monoxide. In Proc. Sym. on Atmospheric Trace Gases, Mainz, Germany 2–6. &
- 1963. Air chemistry and radioactivity. Academic Press, New York.
- 1963. Gaseous metabolism in lake sediments and paddy soils and the production of atmospheric methane and hydrogen. J. Geophys. Res., 68, 3971–3973.
- 1964. Biogeochemical studies on lake sediments and paddy soils and the production of atmospheric methane and hydrogen. In Recent Researches in the Field of Hydrosphere, Atmosphere and Nuclear Geochemistry (ed. Y.Miyake and T.Koyama), pp. 143–177. Murucen, Tokyo.
- 1973. Methane distribution in the world oceans. In Proc. Sym. on Atmospheric Trace Gases, Mainz, Germany 2–6. , &
- 1972. Radon-222, CO, CH4 and continental dust over the Greenland and Norwegian Seas. Nature, 240, 345–347. , , &
- 1971. Normal atmosphere: large radical and formaldehyde concentrations predicted. Science, 173, 141–143.
- Private communication.
- 1971. Natural sources of atmospheric CO. Nature, 223, 187–188. , &
- 1948. Spectroscopic evidence of methane in the earth's atmosphere. Phys. Rev., 73, 519–520.
- 1966. Progress Report, Contract AEC AT(40–1) 3192, Univ. of Arkansas.
- 1970. Water vapour collection in the stratosphere by the supersonic transporter Nature, 226, 70–71.
- 1968. Sources, abundance, and fate of gaseous atmospheric pollutants. Final Report, PR-6755, Stanford Research Institute. &
- 1935. Die Bodengasausscheidung und das Sauerstoffregime der Seen. Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol., 7, 539–561.
- 1969. Relationships among atmospheric formaldehyde, methane and krypton. Thesis, Univ. of Arkansas.
- 1969. Distribution of light hydrocarbons in ambient air. J. Air. Poll. Control. Assoc., 19 929. &
- 1961. The oceans, their physics, chemistry and general biology, p. 21. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J. , &
- 1967. Gaseous hydrocarbons in sea water: determination. Science, 156, 119–120. &
- 1969. Distribution of methane and carbon monoxide between the atmosphere and natural waters. Environ. Sci. Tech., 3 836. , &
- 1951. Principles of Sedimentation, p. 78. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, 1971, Monthly bulletin of agricultural economics and statistics 20, No. 6, p. 18.
- United Nations Food Agricultural Organization, 1971, Monthly bulletin of agricultural economics and statistics 20, No. 9, p. 20.
- United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, 1970, Production Yearbook, p. 335.
- United States Department of Agriculture, 1971, Agricultural statistics. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- 1972. Carbon monoxide balance in nature. Science, 176 290. &
- 1971. Communities and ecosystems, p. 84. Macmillan, New York.
- 1970. The energy cycle of the biosphere. Sci. Am., 223, 64–74.