On leave from the Institute of Meteorology, University of Bonn, FRG; present affiliation University of Köln.
Analysis of satellite-observed tropical cloud clusters. I. Wind and dynamic fields
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1976 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 28, Issue 5, pages 391–413, October 1976
How to Cite
Ruprecht, E. and Gray, W. M. (1976), Analysis of satellite-observed tropical cloud clusters. I. Wind and dynamic fields. Tellus, 28: 391–413. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1976.tb00689.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received June 6, 1974; in final form January 15, 1976
- 1974. Cumulus convection in weak and strong tropical disturbances. J. Atmos. Sci., 31, 1241–1255.
- 1970. Westward propagating cloud patterns in the tropical Pacific as seen from time-compositing satellite photographs. J. Atmos. Sci., 27, 133–138.
- 1964. On the growth of the hurricane depression. J. Atmos. Sci., 21, 68–75. &
- 1970. Atlantic tropical systems of 1969. Mon. Wea. Rev., 98, 307–314.
- 1969. Vortical cloud systems over the tropical Atlantic during the 1967 hurricane season. Mon. Wea. Rev., 97, 124–129. &
- 1972. A diagnostic study of the planetary boundary layer over the oceans. Colorado State University Department of Atmospheric Science Research, Report No. 179, 95 pp.
- 1973. Cumulus convection and large-scale circulations, Part I: Broadscale and mesoscale inversions. Mon. Wea. Rev., 101, 839–855.
- 1970. An objective analysis of cloud cluster dimensions and spacing in the tropical North Pacific. Mon. Wea. Rev., 98, 534–540.
- 1972. An introduction to dynamic meteorology. Academic Press, New York. 319 pp.
- 1972. A diagnostic study of the vorticity balance at 200 mb in the tropics during the northern summer. J. Atmos. Sci., 29, 1124–1128. &
- JOC Study Group on Tropical Disturbances, 1968: Report on the first session of the JOC Study Group on Tropical Disturbances, Appendix I, GARP Publ. Series No. 4.
- 1973. Cumulus convection and larger scale circulations. Part II: Cumulus and mesoscale interactions. Mon. Wea. Rev., 101, 856–870.
- 1966. Cumulus and cumulonimbus convection. Tellus, 18, 687–698.
- 1970. Statistical study of tropospheric wave disturbances in the tropical Pacific region. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Ser. II, 48, 47–60.
- 1974. Heat and moisture budget analyses using BOMEX data. Mon. Wea. Rev., 102, 17–28. &
- 1969. A note on barotropic instability of the tropical easterly current. J. Meteor. Ser. Japan, Ser. II, 47, 127–130. &
- 1964. A dynamical model for the study of tropical cyclone development. Geofisica Intern., 4, 187–198.
- 1971. Properties of synoptic scale wave disturbances in the equatorial western Pacific: vorticity budget. Paper presented at 7th Technical Conf. on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteor., Barbados, West Indies, 6–9 December 1971. &
- 1971. Structure and properties of synoptic-scale wave disturbances in the equatorial western Pacific. J. Atmos. Sci., 28, 1117–1133. &
- 1974. The vorticity budget of synopticscale wave disturbances in the tropical western disturbances. J. Atmos. Sci., 37, 1784–1790. &
- 1945. Waves in the esterlies and the polar front in the tropics. Misc. Report No. 17, Dept. Meteor., Univ of Chicago.
- 1968. Studies on interaction between synoptic and mesoscale weather elements in the tropics. Atmos. Sci. Paper 126, Dept of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University. &
- 1975. Diurnal temperature corrections for rawinsonde humidity sensors. Mon. Wea. Rev., 103, 352–355.
- 1974. Analysis of satellite-observed tropical cloud clusters. Colorado State University Department of Atmospheric Science Research Report No. 219, 91 pp. &
- 1962. Utilization of meteorological satellite cloud data in tropical meteorology. Procedings of the First International symposium on Rocket and Satellite Meteorology, Washington, D.C.
- 1967. A study of a non-deepening tropical disturbance. J. Appl. Meteor., 6, 237–254. , , &
- 1968. Atlantic tropical disturbances, 1967. Mon. Wea. Rev., 96, 251–259. , , &
- 1969. Atlantic tropical disturbances of 1968. Mon. Wea. Rev., 97, 240–255. , , &
- 1970. Time-longitude sections of tropical cloudiness (Dec. 1966-Nov. 1967). ESSA Technical Report, NESC 56 (available from G.P.O., Washington, D.C.), 37 pp.
- 1971. Spectral studies of tropospheric wave disturbances in the tropical western Pacific. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys., 9, 557–612.
- 1973. Statistical analysis of satellite-observed trade wind cloud clusters in the western North Pacific. Tellus, 25, 313–336. &
- 1961. A detailed analysis of typhoon formation. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Ser. II, 39, 187–213.
- 1967. Computation of vertical motion and vorticity budget in a Caribbean easterly wave. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Ser. II, 45, 444–466. &
- 1973. Determination of bulk properties of tropical cloud clusters from large-scale heat and moisture budgets. J. Atmos. Sci., 30, 611–627. , &
- 1968. Power spectra of large-scale disturbances over the tropical Pacific. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Ser. II, 46, 308–323. , , &
- 1969. The role of organized unsaturated convective downdrafts in the structure and rapid decay of an equatorial disturbance. J. Appl. Meteor., 8, 799–814.