On the kinetic energy of the divergent and nondivergent flow in the atmosphere
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
1976 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 28, Issue 6, pages 486–498, December 1976
How to Cite
Chen, T.-C. and Wiin-Nielsen, A. C. (1976), On the kinetic energy of the divergent and nondivergent flow in the atmosphere. Tellus, 28: 486–498. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1976.tb00697.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received September 2, 1975; in final form January 29, 1976
- 1962. Nongeostrophic effects in baroclinic prognostic equations. Proc. Intern. Symp. Numerical Weather Prediction, Tokyo, pp. 161–175.
- 1975. On the kinetic energy of the divergent and nondivergent flow in the atmosphere. Tech. Rep. 002630–14-T, Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- 1971. Direct separation of two-dimensional vector fields into irrotational and solenoidal parts. J. Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 33, 328–334.
- 1971. Numerical weather prediction. John Wiley and Sons, New York. 317 pp.
- 1971. General circulation experiments with a six-layer NCAR model, including orography, cloudiness and surface temperature calculations. J. Atmos. Sci., 28, 657–701. &
- 1966. Large-scale balance of kinetic energy in the atmosphere. Mon. Wea. Rev., 94, 627–640.
- 1960. Energy and numerical weather prediction. Tellus, 12, 364–373.
- 1974. The annual cycle of the energetics of the atmosphere on a planetary scale. J. Geoph. Res., 79, 2705–2719. &
- 1974. The design and interpretation of diagnostic studies of synoptic-scale atmospheric system. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 100, 265–285.
- 1974. The annual distribution of atmospheric energy on a planetary scale. J. Geophys. Res., 79, 2149–2159. &
- 1963. Geostrophic motion. Rev. Geophys., 1, 123–176.
- 1922. Weather prediction by numerical process. Cambridge University Press, 236 pp.
- 1939. Relations between variations in the intensity of the zonal circulation of the atmosphere and the displacements of the semi-permanent centers of action. J. Marine Res. (Sears Foundation), 2, 38–55. et al.
- 1963. General circulation experiments with the primitive equations. I. The basic experiment. Mon. Wea. Rev., 91, 99–165.
- 1967. On the annual variation and spectral distribution of atmospheric energy. Tellus, 19, 540–559.
- 1968. On the intensity of the general circulation of the atmosphere. Rev. Geophys., 6, 559–579.
- 1973. Dynamic meteorology. In Compendium of Meteorology, part 1, vol. 1 (ed. A.Wiin-Nielsen), p. 334, Appendix. World Meteorological Organization, WMO-Ni. 364, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1957. Die Transformation Potentielles and Innerer Energie in die Energie Rotorloser und diejenige Divergenzfreier Bewegungen, Beitr. Phys. Atmos., Vol. 29, 269–275.