Contribution Number 388. Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington.
The sea surface temperature deviation at very low wind speeds; is there a limit?1
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1977 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 229–239, June 1977
How to Cite
KATSAROS, K. B. (1977), The sea surface temperature deviation at very low wind speeds; is there a limit?. Tellus, 29: 229–239. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1977.tb00729.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Manuscript received June 23, 1975; in final form July 5, 1976
- 1954. Sea surface temperature. Aust. J. Phys. 7, 649–652.
- 1968. Modification of the air/sea interface by artificial sea slicks. NRL Report 6762, Sept. 18, 1968.. &
- 1966a. Evaporative convection. Adv. Chem. Enging 6, 61–123. , &
- 1966b. Natural convection in pools of evaporating liquids. J. Fluid Mech. 24, 721–735. , &
- 1969. Density effects in interfacial convection. Chem. Eng. Soc. 24, 937–946. &
- Chemical Rubber Co. handbook of physics and chemistry, 52nd Ed., 197172: Chemical Rubber Company, Cleveland.
- 1973. Turbulent convection in a horizontal layer of water. J. Fluid Mech. 60, 141–159. &
- 1970. Messungen zur Temperaturstruktur in Wasser an der Grenzfläche Ozean-Atmosphäre, “Meteor” Forsch.-Ergebnisse, Reihe B. 90–94. , &
- 1954. Statistics of the sea surface derived from sun glitter. J. Mar. Res. 13, 198–227. &
- 1960. On the thermal boundary layer of the ocean. Science 131, 1374–1376. &
- 1963. On the cooling of the sea surface by evaporation and heat exchange. Tellus 15, 363–366.
- 1971. The sea surface temperature deviation and the heat flow at the sea-air interface. Boundary Layer Meteorol. 1, 368–379.
- 1956. Über Temperature profile beiderseits einer verdunstenden Wasserfläche. Wiss. Z. Tech. Hochsch. Dresden 5, 435–450.
- 1970. Laboratory measurements of heat transfer, wind velocity profiles and temperature structure at an air/water interface. Naval Research Report 7212, 31 pp.
- 1966. Convection at high Rayleigh number. Proceedings of the eleventh international congress of applied mechanics, Munich (Germany) 1964 (edited by H.Görtier), 1109–1115.
- 1974. Drag coefficient above and below the sea surface. IAPSO Process-Verbeau No. 13, 154.
- 1969. Temperature and salinity of the sea surface with particular emphasis on effects of precipitation. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Washington, Dept. Atmosph. Sci., pp. 306.
- 1973. Supercooling at the surface of an Arctic lead. J. Phys. Ocean. 3, 482–486.
- 1975. Water convection seen in laser light. Manuscript, Dept. of Atmos. Sci., University of Washington.
- 1973. Comments on the determination of the total heat flux from the sea with a two-wavelength radiometer as developed by McAlister. J. Geophys. Res. 78, 1964–1969. &
- 1974. Supercooling at a free salt water surface in the laboratory. J. Phys. Ocean. 4, 654–658. &
- 1977. Heat transport and thermal structure in the interfacial boundary layer measured in an open tank of water in turbulent free convection. Manuscript, submitted to J. Fluid Mech. (in press). , , &
- 1970. On the transition to turbulent convection. Part 2. The transition to time-dependent flow. J. Fluid Mech. 42, 309–320.
- 1972. Stability of the thermal boundary layer and sea surface temperature. Unpublished manuscript, Dept. of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
- 1975. Temperature profile in the molecular sublayer near the interface of a fluid in turbulent motion. Geophys. Res. Letters 2, 403–404. &
- 1969. Heat transfer in the top millimeter of the ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 74, 3408–4180. &
- 1971. Airborne measurements of the total heat flux from the sea during Bomex. J. Geophys. Res. 76, 4172–4180. , &
- 1961. Specular reflectance of water in the 1.5 to 15 micron region as a function of wavelength and incidence angle, Navwets Rept. 7162, Quart. Rept. Fundamental Research Project, Naval Ordinance Laboratory, Dept. of the Navy, Corona, California. &
- 1972. Stability of surfactant solutions heated from below. J. Fluid Mech. 51, 385–402. &
- 1972. Cooling of a water surface by evaporation, radiation and heat transfer. J. Geophys. Res. 77, 491–495. &
- 1958. On convection cells induced by surface tension. J. Fluid Mech. 4, 489–500.
- 1946. A method of estimation of the thickness of the “laminar” layer above an evaporating water surface. Indian Acad. Sci. Proc. A 23, 309–335. &
- 1969. A study of Benard convection with and without rotation. J. Fluid Mech. 36, 309–335.
- 1967a. Aerial measurement of sea surface temperature in the infrared. J. Geophys. Res. 72, 4109–4115.
- 1967b. The temperature of the ocean-air interface. J. Atmos. Sci., 24, 269–273.
- 1960. Convective circulation in water induced by evaporative cooling. Phys. Fluids 4, 743–750. &
- 1960. The “salt fountain” and thermohaline convection. Tellus 12, 172–175.
- 1957. Turbulent convection over a heated horizontal surface. J. Fluid Mech. 2, 473–492. &
- 1973. Buoyancy effects in fluids. The University Press, Cambridge, 367 pp.
- U.S. Navy marine climatic atlas of the world, Vols. I, 1955, 1958 NAVAER 50–16–531. Publ. by Chief of Naval Operations.
- 1974. The cool skin of open water surfaces. Paper read at International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics First Special Assembly at Melbourne, January 1974. IAPSO Proces-Verbeaux No. 13, 931–937.
- 1967. Development of short-period temperature fluctuations in thermal convection. Phys. Fluids 10, 931–937. &
- 1941. Surface cooling and streaming in shallow fresh and salt waters. J. Mar. Res. 4, 153–161.
- 1947. Temperatures observed near the surface of a fresh water pond at night. J. Meteorol. 4, 102–103. &