Electronic Computation Center, Japanese Meteorological Agency, Tokyo, Japan.
Simulation of hurricane-type vortices in a general circulation model
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1982 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 34, Issue 5, pages 440–457, October 1982
How to Cite
BENGTSSON, L., BÖTTGER, H. and KANAMITSU, M. (1982), Simulation of hurricane-type vortices in a general circulation model. Tellus, 34: 440–457. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1982.tb01833.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received July 27; in final form December 29, 1981
- 1977. Hurricane model experiments with a new cumulus parameterization scheme. Mon. Wea. Rev. 105, 287–399.
- 1969. Synoptic history of three African disturbances that developed into Atlantic hurricanes. Mon. Wea. Rev. 97, 256–277.
- 1964. On the growth of the hurricane depression. J. Atmos. Sci. 21, 68–75. and
- 1980. An analysis of Super Typhoon Tip (October 1979) Mon. Wea. Rev. 108, 1915–1923. and
- 1972. Tropical storms, mid-latitude cloud-bound convections and the autumnal building of the planetary circulation. J. Appl. Meteorol. 11, 23–26. and
- 1979. Hurricanes: their formation, structure and likely rôle in the tropical circulation. Meteorology over the tropical oceans. Royal Meteorol. Soc., 155–218.
- 1964. On the mean wind structure of typhoon. Tech. Note No. 2, Meteorological Research Institute, Japan Meteorological Agency.
- 1977. A nested grid for a 3-dimensional model of a tropical cyclone. J. Atmos. Sci. 34, 1528–1553.
- 1958. Mean soundings for the West Indies area. J. Meteorol. 15, 91–97.
- JSC 1980 Catalogue of numerical atmospheric models for the First GARP Global Experiment, Part I, 287–340, ICSU/WMO, Joint Scientific Committee, Geneva, April 1980.
- 1969. On the distributution and continuity of water substance in atmospheric circulation. Meteorol. Monogr. 10, 1–84.
- 1967. On the structure of hurricanes in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere. Mon. Wea. Rev. 95, 541–564.
- 1974. Further studies of the parameterization of the influence of cumulus convection on large-scale flow. J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 1232–1240.
- 1974. Structure of a tropical cyclone developed in a 3-dimensional simulation model. J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 893–919. and
- 1975. Budget analysis of a tropical cyclone simulated in an axisymmetric numerical model. J. Atmos. Sci. 32, 25–59.
- 1975. Numerical simulation of asymmetric hurricanes on a β-plane with vertical shear. Tellus 27, 453–468. and
- 1970. Tropical circulation in a time-integration of a global model of the atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 27, 580–613. , and
- 1981. Observational analysis of tropical cyclone formation. Part II: Comparison of non-developing versus developing systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 38, 1132–1151. and
- 1969. Numerical simulation of the life cycle of tropical cyclones. J. Atmos. Sci. 26, 3–40.
- 1971. Structure and properties of synoptic-scale wave disturbances in the equatorial western Pacific. J. Atmos. Sci. 28, 1117–1133. and
- 1979a. Climate and weather in the tropics, Academic Press, London, p. 611.
- 1979b. Recent tropical experiment in the general context of tropical meteorology. Meteorology over the tropical oceans, Royal Meteorol. Soc., 9–30.
- 1978. Numerical simulation of tropical cyclone development with latent heat release by the resolvable scales. (I) Model description and preliminary results. J. Atmos. Sci. 35, 258–271.
- 1948. On displacements and intensity changes of atmospheric vortices. J. Mar. Res. 7, 175–187.
- 1970. Numerical simulation of the development of tropical cyclones with a 10-layer model (I). Tellus 22, 359–390.
- 1972. Model tropical cyclone behaviour in experiments related to modification attempts. Tellus 24, 6–12.
- 1968. Numerical simulation of tropical cyclone development with the use of primitive equations. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 46, 178–201.
- 1975. A numerical experiment of the interaction between cumulus convection and larger scale motion. Paper Meteorol. Geophys. 26, 63–91.
- 1964. Formation of tropical cyclones. Rev. Geophys. 2, 367–414.
- 1976. Tropical disturbance intensification. Dept. of Atmos. Sci. Paper No. 259, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado.