On the energetics of open systems
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1982 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 34, Issue 5, pages 458–470, October 1982
How to Cite
JOHNSON, D. R. and DOWNEY, W. K. (1982), On the energetics of open systems. Tellus, 34: 458–470. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1982.tb01834.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received June 27, 1980; in final form February 18, 1982
- 1970. An introduction to fluid dynamics. Cambridge University Press, 615.
- 1957. Dynamic meteorology and weather forecasting. American Met. Soc. and Carnegie Institution of Washington, 800. , , and
- 1966. Large-scale balance of kinetic energy in the atmosphere. Mon. Wea. Rev. 94, 627–640.
- 1967. Diurnal and long term variations of the kinetic energy generation and dissipation for a five-year period. Mon. Wea. Rev. 95, 593–606.
- 1970. The available potential energy of storms. J. Atmos. Sci. 27, 727–741.
- 1954. Notes on the transformation of mechanical energy from eddying motion. J. Meteor. 11, 196–201.
- 1950. Energy transformation functions. J. Meteorol. 7, 152–159.
- 1951. Energy equations. Compendium of meteorology (ed. T. F.Malone), American Meteorlogical Society, 483–491.
- 1957. On the physical significance of energy transformation functions. Studies of the atmospheric general circulation II. Dept. of Meteorology, General Circulation Project, M.I.T., Final Report under Air Force Contract AF 19(604)-100, [NTIS.AD-146847].
- 1894. On the dynamical theory of incompressible viscous fluids and the determination of the criterion. London Philos. Trans. 186A, 123–164.
- 1970. A note on energy conversions in open atmospheric systems. J. Atmos. Sci. 27, 518–521.
- 1964. Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics: Lectures on theoretical physics Vol. V. Academic Press, New York, 401.
- 1948. On the production of kinetic energy in the atmosphere. J. Meteorol. 5, 193–196.
- 1846. On the theories of the internal friction of fluids in motion, and of the equilibrium and motion of elastic solids. Cambridge Philos. Soc. Proc. 1, 16–18.
- 1847. On the theories of the internal friction of fluids in motion and of the equilibrium and motion of elastic solids. Cambridge Philos. Soc. Trans. VIII, 287–319.
- 1951. Application of the thermodynamics of open systems to meteorology. Compendium of meteorology (ed. T. F.Malone), American Meteorological Society, 531–540.
- 1973. Atmospheric energetics. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 306.
- 1968. On the intensity of the general circulation of the atmosphere. Rev. Geophys. 6, 539–579.