The role of lake and reservoir sediments as sinks in the perturbed global carbon cycle
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
1982 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 34, Issue 5, pages 490–499, October 1982
How to Cite
MULHOLLAND, P. J. and ELWOOD, J. W. (1982), The role of lake and reservoir sediments as sinks in the perturbed global carbon cycle. Tellus, 34: 490–499. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1982.tb01837.x
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received September 14, 1981; in final form January 8, 1982
- 1975. Effects of man-induced and natural loading of phosphorus and nitrogen on the large Swedish lakes. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 19, 1125–1132.
- 1968. Hydroelectric powerplant reservoirs in the USSR. Energiya, Moscow (in Russian). and
- 1980. Recent sedimentation and its relationship with primary productivity in four western Washington lakes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 25, 240–247. , and
- 1977. Sedimentation rates and sediment cores in two Swiss lakes of different trophic state. In Interactions between sediments and fresh water (ed. H. L.Golterman), The Hague: Junk, 65–71.
- 1977. Changes of land biota and their importance for the carbon cycle. Science 196, 613–615.
- 1974). The export of nutrients and recovery of stable conditions following deforestation at Hubbard Brook. Ecol. Monogr. 44, 255–277. , , , and (
- 1979. Fate of fossil fuel carbon dioxide and the global carbon budget. Science 206, 409–418. , , and
- 1971. Chemistry of surface sediments of sixteen lakes in the Experimental Lakes Area, Northwestern Ontario. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Canada 28, 277–294. , , and
- 1973. Bhumibol Reservoir—sediment status after eight years of operation. In Proc. sediment transportation, Vol. 1. International Symposium on River Mechanics, International Assoc. for Hydraulic Res., Bangkok, Thailand, 35–45. and
- 1973. Accumulation of debris in water storage reservoirs of central Europe. In Man-made lakes: their problems and environmental effects (eds. W. C.Ackermann, G. F.White and E. B.Worthington), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.: Geophysical Monograph 17, 359–363.
- 1955. The obliteration of the hypolimnion. Mem. Ist. Ital. Idrobiol., suppl. 8, 9–38.
- 1972. Biogeochemistry of lakes: major substances. In Nutrients and eutrophication. Proc. Amer. Soc. Limnol. Oceanogr. Special Symp. (ed. G. E.Likens), pp. 14–20. W. K. Kellogg Biol. Sta., February 11–12, 1971.
- 1978. Sediment deposition in United States Reservoirs. United States Department of Agriculture Misc. Publ. No. 1362, Washington, D.C. and ,
- 1973. Reservoir sedimentation surveys in the United States. In Man-made lakes: their problems and environmental effects (eds. W. C.Ackerman, G. F.White and E. B.Worthington), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.: Geophysical Monograph 17. , and
- 1974. The sedimentary record of the eutrophication of Lake Washington. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 71, 5093–5095.
- 1978. Sedimentation processes above the Aswan High Dam in Lake Nasser-Nubia (Egypt-Sudan). Verh. Internal. Verein. Limnol. 20, 1667–1671.
- 1973. World register on man-made lakes. In Man-made lakes: their problems and environmental effects (eds. W. C.Ackermann, G. F.White and E. B.Worthington), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.: Geophysical Monograph 17, 43–49. and
- 1967. Reservoir research—objectives and practices with an example from the Soviet Union. In Proc. reservoir fishery resources symposium, Washington, D.C.: American Fisheries Society, 26–36.
- 1972. Energy flow in aquatic ecosystems in India. In Proc. productivity problems of freshwaters (eds. Z.Kajak and A.Hillbricht-Ilkowska), Warsaw-Krakow: IBP-UNESCO Symposium, 457–475. and
- 1973. Coupling carbon flow through some pelagic and benthic communities. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Canada 30, 1317–1326.
- 1975. The importance of total and mixed layer depth in the supply of organic material to bottom communities. Symp. Biol. Hung. 15, 157–165.
- 1980. Balance of organic matter, biogenic elements, and trace elements in the Ivankovo Reservoir. Water Resources 8, 346–355. , , , and
- 1973. Industrial production of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels and limestone. Tellus 25, 174–198.
- 1974. Sedimentation rates and recent sediment history of Lakes Ontario, Erie, and Huron. J. Sed. Petrology 44, 207–218. , and
- 1978. Impact of man's activities on the chemical composition of the sediments of Lakes Superior and Huron. Water Air and Soil. Poll. 10, 381–402. , , and
- 1980. Carbon budget not so out of whack. Science 208, 1358–1359.
- 1975. Primary production of inland aquatic ecosystems. In Primary productivity of the biosphere (eds. H.Lieth and R. H.Whittaker), New York: Springer-Verlag, 185–202.
- 1971. The organic matter budget of a central Texas reservoir. In Reservoir fisheries and limnology (ed. G. E.Hall), Washington, D.C.: Special Publ. No. 8, American Fisheries Society, 193–202.
- 1965. Developing a method of computing silting of small reservoirs in the central Chernozem provinces. In Water balance and silting of small reservoirs in the Central Chernozem of the RSFSR (ed. G. V.Lopatin), Nauka, Moscow (translated by D. B. Krimgold for the Soil and Water Conservation Research Division, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture), 330–357.
- 1981. The global carbon cycle: minor sinks for carbon dioxide. In Flux of organic carbon by rivers to the oceans, Report of a Workshop, Woods Hole, Mass., September 21–25, 1980, pp. 360–384. U.S. Department of Energy, CONF-8009140.
- 1966. Reservoirs in the United States. United States Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 1838, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. and
- 1981. Inland aquatic ecosystems and the perturbed global carbon cycle. Institute for Energy Analysis, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, ORAU/IEA-81-7(M), Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- 1980. Life of a reservoir. Technical Report No. 19, Central Board of Irrigation and Power, New Delhi, India.
- 1975. A box diffusion model to study the carbon dioxide exchange in nature, Tellus 27, 168–192. , , and
- 1978. Responses of some British lakes to past changes in land use on their catchments. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 20, 636–641.
- 1980. Inventory of U.S. reservoirs. United States Fish and Wildlife Service National Reservoir Research Program, Fayetteville, Arkansas. and
- 1973. Great man-made lake of Bhakra, India. In Man-made lakes: their problems and environmental effects (eds. W. C.Ackermann, G. F.White and E. B.Worthington), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.: Geophysical Monograph 17, 170–185. and
- 1980. Organic carbon: oxidation and transport in the Amazon River. Science 207, 1348–1351. , , , and
- 1975. A comparison of nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon in sediments and soils of cultivated and non-cultivated watersheds in the North Central States. J. Environ. Qual. 4, 339–341. , and
- 1977. Nitrogen, carbon, and phosphorus in soils and sediments of some small watersheds in the Eastern United States. J. Miss. Acad. Sci. 22, 7–14. and
- 1973. Sediment studies pertaining to small-reservoir design. In Man-made lakes: their problems and environmental effects (eds. W. C.Ackermann, G. F.White and E. B.Worthington), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.: Geophysical Monograph 17, 376–380. and
- 1972. Biological productivity of the Rybinsk reservoir. In Proc. productivity problems of freshwaters (eds. Z.Kajak and A.Hillbricht-Ilkowska), Warsaw-Krakow: IBP-UNESCO Symposium, 493–543.
- 1967. Eutrophication—a review. California State Water Quality Control Board Publ. No. 34, Sacramento, California. and
- 1975. Self purification capacity of impoundments. Water Research 9, 1171–1177.
- 1978. Atmospheric carbon dioxide and carbon reservoir changes. Science 199, 253–258.
- 1972. Report on the surficial sediment distribution of the Great Lakes, Part 1—Lake Ontario. Geological Survey of Canada Paper 72–17, Canada Centre for Inland Waters, Burlington, Ontario. , and
- 1970. The water encyclopedia. Water Information Center, Port Washington, New York. 559 pp.
- U.S. Department of Energy. 1981. Flux of organic carbon by rivers to the oceans. Report of a Workshop held at Woods Hole, Massachusetts, September 21–25, 1980. CONF-8009140.
- 1974. A comparative review of phytoplankton and primary production in the Laurentian Great Lakes. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 31, 739–762. , and
- 1981. Biological export of shelf carbon is a sink of the global CO2 cycle. Nature 291, 196–201. , , and
- 1975. Limnology. W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1978. The biota and the world carbon budget. Science 199, 141–146. , , , , and