Simulation of laboratory vortex flow by axisymmetric similarity solutions
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
1982 Blackwell Munksgaard
Volume 34, Issue 6, pages 588–600, December 1982
How to Cite
RAYMOND, W. H. and KUO, H. L. (1982), Simulation of laboratory vortex flow by axisymmetric similarity solutions. Tellus, 34: 588–600. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-3490.1982.tb01847.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2010
- Received August 17, 1981; in final form March 3, 1982
- 1975. Some synoptic aspects and dynamic features of vortices associated with the tornado outbreak of 3 April 1974. Mon. Wea. Rev. 103, 318–333. , , and
- 1977. Tornado vortex simulation at Purdue University. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 58, 900–908. , and
- 1979. The dynamics of natural tornadoes as inferred from laboratory simulations. J. Rech. Atmos. 13, 111–133. and
- 1979. Characteristics of tornado-like vortices as a function of swirl ratio: a laboratory investigation. J. Atmos. Sci. 36, 1755–1776. , , and
- 1972. Elementary numerical analysis: an algorithmic approach. New York: McGraw-Hill, 396 pp. and
- 1973. The dependence of core radius on swirl ratio in a tornado simulator. J. Atmos. Sci. 30, 1427–1430.
- 1974. Tornadoes, weather and climate modification (ed. W. N.Hess). Wiley, 842 pp. (See chap. 16.). and
- 1978. Three scales of motion associated with tornadoes. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. 359 pp. [Available from National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Virginia 22161.].
- 1971. Proposed mechanism of suction spots accompanied by tornadoes. Preprint, Seventh Conf. Severe Local Storms, Boston: Amer. Meteorol. Soc. pp. 208–213.
- 1972. Proposed mechanism of suction spots accompanied by tornadoes. SMRP Research Paper No. 102, The University of Chicago, 14 pp.
- 1972. Vortex breakdown. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 4, 195–213.
- 1974. Structural analysis of tornado-like vortices. J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 2081–2098. and
- 1974. Properties of simulated tornado-like vortices. J. Atmos. Sci. 31, 506–512. and ,
- 1973. Methods for the approximate solution of time dependent problems. WMO 11 CSN Joint Organizing Committee, GARP Publication Series No. 10, 107 pp. and
- 1966. On the dynamics of convective atmospheric vortices. J. Atmos. Sci. 23, 25–42.
- 1967. Note on the similarity solutions of the vortex equations in an unstably stratified atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci. 24, 95–97.
- 1969. Axisymmetric flows in the boundary layer of a maintained vortex. University of Chicago, Planetary Circ. Proj., Rept. No. 15, 54 pp.
- 1977. Surface roughness effect on suction vortex formation: a laboratory simulation. J. Atmos. Sci. 34, 1022–1027.
- 1962. A solution for three-dimensional vortex flows with strong circulation. J. Fluid Mech. 14, 420–432.
- 1916: On the dynamics of revolving fluids. Proc. Roy. Soc. London, A93, 148–154.
- 1977. Numerical simulation of a laboratory vortex. J. Atmos. Sci. 34, 1942–1956.
- 1979. A study of tornado-like vortex dynamics. J. Atmos. Sci. 36. 140–155.
- 1978. On inertial instability as related to the multiple-vortex phenomenon. J. Atmos. Sci. 35, 1660–1677.
- 1980. An investigation of the surface pressure fields beneath simulated tornado cyclones. J. Atmos. Sci. 37, 1013–1026. and
- 1979. Barotropic instability in a tornado vortex. J. Atmos. Sci. 36, 973–981. and
- 1938. On the stability of a viscous fluid between rotating coaxial cylinders, Proc. Roy. Soc. London Ser. A, 167, 250–256.
- 1963. The carbonated water tornado vortex. J. Atmos. Sci. 20, 468–471. and
- 1970. Exploratory model study of tornado-like vortex dynamics. J. Atmos. Sci. 27, 3–14. and
- 1970. The exploration of certain features of tornado dynamics using a laboratory model. NOAA Tech. Mem. ERLTM-NSSL 52, 22 pp.
- 1972. The exploration of certain features of tornado dynamics using a laboratory model. J. Atmos. Sci. 29, 1194–1204.