No Meal without Ugali? Social Significance of Food and Consumption in a Tanzanian Village
Article first published online: 26 JUN 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 3–14, June 2012
How to Cite
Ohna, I., Kaarhus, R. and Kinabo, J. (2012), No Meal without Ugali? Social Significance of Food and Consumption in a Tanzanian Village. Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment, 34: 3–14. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-9561.2012.01061.x
- Issue published online: 26 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 26 JUN 2012
- 1955 The Monotonous Diet of the African. East African Medical Journal 32: 95–97.
- 1988 How to Make a National Cuisine: Cookbooks in Contemporary India. Comparative Studies in Society and History 30(1): 3–24.
- 2006 Persistent Hunger; Perspectives on Vulnerability, Famine, and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Annual Review of Anthropology 35: 521–538. , and
- 1984 Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 2000 The Social and Cultural Uses of Food. In The Cambridge World History of Food. Kenneth F. Kiple and Kriemhild Coneè Ornelas , eds. Pp. 1513–1523. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004 Around the Tuscan Table: Food, Family, and Gender in Twentieth-Century Florence. New York & London: Routledge.
- 2003 Food in the Social Order. Collected Works, vol. 9. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 1980 Nutritional Implications of Staple Food Crop Successions in Usambara, Tanzania. Human Ecology 8(4): 311–327. , and
- Freedman, Paul , ed. 2007 Food: The History of Taste. London: Thames & Hudson.
- 1968 Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity. Harmondsworth, UK: Penguin Books.
- 1998 A Vague but Suggestive Concept: The “Total Social Fact.” In Marcel Mauss: A Centenary Tribute. W. James and N. J. Allen, eds . Pp. 63–70. New York: Berghahn Books.
- 1982 Cooking, Cuisine and Class. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2005 Food Culture in Lungwena, Malawi—A Study of Gender Roles in Food Management in Selected Households. M.Sc. thesis, Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- 2003 In a Cup of Tea: Commodities and History among Samburu Pastoralists in Northern Kenya. American Ethnologist 30(1): 136–155.
- 1971 Agricultural Change in Modern Tanganyika. Historical Association of Tanzania Paper 10, East African Publishing House, Nairobi.
- 1989 “Fra Bokna Fesk til Pizza”: Sosiokulturelle Perspektiver på Mat og Endring av Spisevaner i Båtsfjord, Finnmark. Oslo Occasional Papers in Social Anthropology, 18, Department of Social Anthropology, University of Oslo, Oslo.
- 1969 The Gift: Forms and Functions of Exchange in Archaic Societies. London: Routledge.
- 2005 Maize and Grace: Africa's Encounter with a New World Crop, 1500–2000. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2009 Stirring the Pot: A History of African Cuisine. Athens, OH: Ohio University Press.
- 2009 Food, Recipes and Commodities of Empires: Mozambique in the Indian Ocean Network. Coimbra: Oficina do CES, Centro de Estudos Sociais, Universidade de Coimbra.
- 1996 Tasting Food, Tasting Freedom: Excursions in Eating, Culture, and the Past. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- 2002 The Anthropology of Food and Eating. Annual Review of Anthropology 31: 99–119. , and
- 1965 The Introduction and Spread of Maize in Africa. Journal of African History 6(1): 39–55.
- 1994 Cutting Down Trees: Gender, Nutrition, and Agricultural Change in the Northern Province of Zambia, 1890–1990. Portsmounth, NH: Heinemann. , and
- 2007 Rice for Food and Income: Assessing the Impact of Rice Research on Food Security in the Kyela and Kilombero Districts of Tanzania. Outlook on Agriculture 36(4): 231–236. , , , , and
- 2007 Vannmeloner under Sengen: Armenere i Kairo Minnes Mat og Sult. ARR Idéhistorisk Tidsskrift 2(3): 119–128.
- 2007 Food, Culture and Livelihood in Malinzanga Village, Tanzania. M.Sc. thesis, Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Aas, Norway.
- 1989 Women, Mothers and Maize Production in Tanzania. Occasional Papers, 7, Institute of Development Studies, University of Helsinki, Helsinki.
- PANTIL 2006 Improving Livelihoods through Agricultural and Natural Resources Research: Baseline Data Survey Report. PANTIL—Programme for Agricultural and Natural Resource Transformation for Improved Livelihoods, Sokoine Agricultural University, Morogoro.
- 1999 Anthropology of Food: The Social Dynamics of Food Security. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- 2007 Colonisation, the New World Order, and the Eradication of Traditional Food Habits in East Africa: Historical Perspective on the Nutrition Transition. Public Health Nutrition 11(7): 662–674. , and
- 2008 Investigation of the Dietary Intake and Health Status in East Africa in the 1960s: A Systematic Review of the Historic Oltersdorf Collection. Ecology of Food and Nutrition 47: 1–43. , , , , , and
- 1995  Land, Labour and Diet in Northern Rhodesia: An Economic Study of the Bemba Tribe. Münster-Hamburg: LIT Verlag. New introduction by Henrietta Moore.
- 2008 Why Is Undernutrition Not a Higher Priority for Donors? id21 insights 73, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex. Electronic document, http://www.eldis.org/id21ext/publications/insights73.pdf, accessed March 29, 2012. , , and
- 1988 Food, Gender and Poverty in the Ecuadorian Andes. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1999 Tasty Meals and Bitter Gifts: Consumption and Production in the Ecuadorean Andes. In Changing Food Habits. Carola Lentz , ed. Pp. 135–153. London: Routledge.