CULTURAL VARIATION IN RUGBY SKILLS: A PRELIMINARY NEUROANTHROPOLOGICAL REPORT
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Annals of Anthropological Practice
Special Issue: Neuroanthropology and Its Applications
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 26–44, May 2012
How to Cite
Downey, G. (2012), CULTURAL VARIATION IN RUGBY SKILLS: A PRELIMINARY NEUROANTHROPOLOGICAL REPORT. Annals of Anthropological Practice, 36: 26–44. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-9588.2012.01091.x
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- 2012 Culture and Education: New Frontiers in Brain Plasticity. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 16(2):93–95.
- 1997 Playing With Modernity: The Decolonization of Indian Cricket. In Modernity at Large. Pp. 89–113. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 1999 Masculinities: Football, Polo and the Tango in Argentina. Oxford : Berg. .
- 2001 Sport, Nationalism, and Globalization: European and North American Perspectives. Albany : State University of New York Press.
- 2005 Extensive Piano Practicing Has Regionally Specific Effects on White Matter Development. Nature Neuroscience 8(9):1148–1150. , , , , , and
- 2011 Training-Induced Neural Plasticity in Golf Novices. Journal of Neuroscience 31(35):12444–12448. , , , and
- 1998 Rugby and the South African Nation: Sport, Culture, Politics and Power in the Old and New South Africa. Manchester : Manchester University Press. , and
- 1990 In Other Words: Essays Towards a Reflexive Sociology. Translated by Matthew Adamson. Stanford , CA : Stanford University Press.
- 1991 Human Universals. New York : McGraw-Hill. .
- 2007 Practice and Perfect: Length of Training and Structural Brain Changes in Experienced Typists. Neuroreport 18(10):1063–1066. , , , , and
- 1999 Making the Rugby World: Race, Gender, Commerce. New York : Frank Cass. , and
- 2011 Cultural Influences on Neural Basis of Intergroup Empathy. Neuroimage 57(2):642–650. , , , , , , , , and
- 2011 Neuroplasticity Subserving Motor Skill Learning. Neuron 72(3):443–454. , and
- 1965 Thought and Choice in Chess. The Hague , Netherlands : Mouton.
- 2008 Is There a “Neural Efficiency” in Athletes? A High-Resolution EEG Study. Neuroimage 42(4):1544–1553. , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2010 Examination of Gaze Behaviors under in situ and Video Simulation Task Constraints Reveals Differences in Information Pickup for Perception and Action. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics 72(3):706–720. , , and
- 2001 French Rugby Football: A Cultural History. New York : Berg.
- 2007 Seeing with a “Sideways Glance”: Visuomotor “Knowing” and the Plasticity of Perception. In Ways of Knowing: New Approaches in the Anthropology of Knowledge and Learning. Mark Harris, ed. Pp. 222–241. New York : Berghahn.
- 2008 Coaches as Phenomenologists: Para-Ethnographic Work in Sports. Proceedings of the 2006 Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Theatre, Drama and Performance Studies (ADSA), Being There: Before, During and After. Sydney : ADSA.
- 2010a Cultural Variation in Elite Athletes: Does Elite Cognitive-Perceptual Skill Always Converge? In ASCS09: Proceedings of the 9th Conference of the Australasian Society for Cognitive Science. W. Christensen, E. Schier, and J. Sutton, eds. Pp. 72–80. Sydney , Australia : Macquarie Centre for Cognitive Studies. doi: 10.5096/ASCS200912, accessed November 17, 2010.
- 2010b Throwing Like a Brazilian: On Ineptness and a Skill-Shaped Body. In Anthropology of Sport and Human Movement. Robert R. Sands and Linda R. Sands, eds. Pp. 297–326. Lanham , MD : Lexington.
- 2012 Balancing across Cultures: Sensory Plasticity. In The Encultured Brain: An Introduction to Neuroanthropology. Daniel H. Lende and Greg Downey, eds. Pp. 169–194. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 2004 Neuroplasticity: Changes in Grey Matter Induced by Training. Nature 427(6972):311–312. , , , , , and
- 2006 Temporal and Spatial Dynamics of Brain Structure Changes during Extensive Learning. Journal of Neuroscience 26(23):6314–6317. , , , , , , and
- 2008 Training-Induced Structural Changes in the Adult Human Brain. Behavioural Brain Research 192:137–142. , and
- 2009 Development of Cultural Strategies of Attention in North American and Japanese Children. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 102(3):351–359. , , , and
- 1998 Building a Picture of the Brain. Daedalus 127(2):37–69. .
- 2006 Second Nature: Brain Science and Human Knowledge. New Haven : Yale University Press. .
- 2001 Degeneracy and Complexity in Biological Systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 98(24):13763–13768. , and
- 1996 Expert and Exceptional Performance: Evidence of Maximal Adaptation to Task Constraints. Annual Review of Psychology 47(1):273–305. , and
- Specificity and Cognitive Demand: Beating a Path to Game Centred Coaching in Rugby. In University of Sydney Papers in HMHCE, vol. 1. Wayne Cotton and Donna O’Connor, eds. Sydney : University of Sydney. In press
- 2002 Using Individualism and Collectivism to Compare Cultures—A Critique of the Validity and Measurement of the Constructs: Comment on Oyserman et al. (2002). Psychological Bulletin 128(1):78–88. .
- 2003 Degeneracy and Redundancy in Cognitive Anatomy. Trends in Cognitive Science 7(4):151–152. , and
- 2003 Brain Structures Differ between Musicians and Non-Musicians. Journal of Neuroscience 23(27):9240–9245. , and
- 1979 The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Boston : Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. .
- 2011 Neural Correlates of Skill Acquisition: Decreased Cortical Activity during a Serial Interception Sequence Learning Task. NeuroImage 58(4):1150–1157. , , and
- 2009 Culture Sculpts the Perceptual Brain. Progress in Brain Research 178:95–111. , and
- 2004 Skilled Vision: An Apprenticeship in Breeding Aesthetics. Social Anthropology 12(1):41–55.
- 2009 Skilled Visions: Between Apprenticeship and Standards. New York : Berghahn. , ed.
- 2009 Cross-National Comparisons of Complex Problem-Solving Strategies in Two Microworlds. Cognitive Science 34(3):489–520. , , and
- 2003 Neural Correlates Underlying Mental Calculation in Abacus Experts: Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study. Neuroimage 19(2):296–307. , , , , and
- 2010 Structural Neuroplasticity in the Sensorimotor Network of Professional Female Ballet Dancers. Human Brain Mapping 31(8):1196–1206. , , , and
- 2008 Cultural Influences on Neural Substrates of Attentional Control. Psychological Science 19(1):12–17. Direct Link:, , , , and
- 2003 Human Gaze Control during Real-World Scene Perception. Trends in Cognitive Science 7(11):498–504. .
- 2010 The Weirdest People in the World? Behavioral and Brain Sciences 33(2–3):61–135. , , and
- 2011 Enhanced White Matter Tracts Integrity in Children With Abacus Training. Human Brain Mapping 32(1):10–21. , , , , , , and
- 1995 Cognition in the Wild. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press.
- 1998 From Complementarity to Obviation: On Dissolving the Boundaries between Social and Biological Anthropology, Archaeology and Psychology. Zeitschrift für Ethnologie 123(1):21–52.
- 2000 The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill. New York : Routledge.
- 2001 From the Transmission of Representations to the Education of Attention. In The Debated Mind: Evolutionary Psychology versus Ethnography. Harvey Whitehouse, ed. Pp. 113–153. New York : Berg.
- International Rugby Board (IRB) 2004 Strategic Plan. http://www.irb.com/mm/document/aboutirb/0/041207irbstrategicplan_772.pdf, accessed January 6, 2012.
- International Rugby Board (IRB) 2010 Strategic Plan 2010–2020. Dublin : International Rugby Board.
- 2009 Can Exercise Shape Your Brain? Cortical Differences Associated with Judo Practice. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 12(6):688–690. , , , , , and
- 2009 The Architecture of the Golfer's Brain. PLoS ONE 4(3):e4785. , , , , and
- 2011 The Structural Basis of Inter-Individual Differences in Human Behaviour and Cognition. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 12(4):231–242. , and
- 2005 Human Functional Neuroimaging of Brain Changes Associated with Practice. Cerebral Cortex 15(8):1089–1102. , and
- 2008 Tactile Acuity in Experienced Tai Chi Practitioners: Evidence for Use Dependent Plasticity as an Effect of Sensory-Attentional Training. Experimental Brain Research 188:317–322. , , , , , , and
- 2000 From Eye Movements to Actions: How Batsmen Hit the Ball. Nature Neuroscience 3(12):1340–1345. , and
- 2009 Looking and Acting: Vision and Eye Movements in Natural Behaviour. Oxford : Oxford University Press. , and
- 2011 Assessment of the Cerebral Cortex during Motor Task Behaviours in Adults: A Systematic Review of Functional Near Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS) Studies. NeuroImage 54(4):2922–2936. , , , , , , and
- 1983 Soccer Madness. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2001 “Open It up a Bit”: Competing Discourses, Physical Practice, and the Struggle over Rugby Game Style in an Australian High School. Journal of Sport and Social Issues 25(3):266–282.
- 2000 Saccadic Eye Movements and Cognition. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 4(1):6–14. , and
- 1993 Foreward. In Cognition and Culture: A Cross-Cultural Approach to Cognitive Psychology. Jeanette Altarriba, ed. Pp. v–viii. Amsterdam : North-Holland. .
- 1966 Human Brain and Psychological Processes. Translated by Basil Haigh. New York : Harper and Row.
- 2000 Navigation-Related Structural Change in the Hippocampi of Cab Drivers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (USA) 97(8):4398–4403. , , , , , , and
- 1998 Global Sports and Patriot Games: Rugby Union and National Identity in a United Sporting Kingdom since 1945. Immigrants and Minorities 17(1):103–126. , and
- 2010 Making Knowledge: Explorations of the Indissoluble Relation between Minds, Bodies, and Environment. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 16:S1–S21.
- 2010 Degeneracy at Multiple Levels of Complexity. Biological Theory 5(3):277–288. .
- 2011 Experience-Dependent Structural Plasticity in the Adult Human Brain. Trends in Cognitive Science 15(10):475–482.
- 2005 Effects of Long-Term Practice and Task Complexity in Musicians and Nonmusicians Performing Simple and Complex Motor Tasks: Implications for Cortical Motor Organization. Human Brain Mapping 25:345–352. , , , , , , and
- 2002 The Musician's Brain as a Model of Neuroplasticity. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 3(6):473–478. , , and
- 2011 Basketball Training Increases Striatum Volume. Human Movement Science 30(1):56–62. , , , , , , and
- 2010 Expert Performance in Sport and the Dynamics of Talent Development. Sports Medicine 40(4):271–283. , , , and
- 2002 Degeneracy and Cognitive Anatomy. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 6(10):416–421. , and
- 1995 Analysis of Information Processing, Decision Making, and Visual Strategies in Complex Problem Solving Sport Situations. Human Movement Science 14(3):325–349. , , , and
- 2003 The Cultural Nature of Human Development. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 1999 Anthropology, Sport and Culture. Westport , CT : Bergin and Garvey. , ed.
- 2002 Visual Search, Anticipation, and Expertise in Soccer Goalkeepers. Journal of Sports Sciences 20(3):279–287. , , , and
- 2009 Cultural Sport Psychology. Champaign , IL : Human Kinetics. , and
- 1973 Skill in Chess. American Scientist 61(4):393–403. , and
- 1996 Visual Search, Anticipation, and Reactive Comparisons between Highly-Skilled and Beginning Tennis Players. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 8(1):9–26. , , , , and
- 2004 Biological Abnormality of Impaired Reading Is Constrained by Culture. Nature 431:71–76. , , , and
- 1984 “Mental Abacus”: The Effects of Abacus Training on Chinese Children's Mental Calculation. Cognitive Psychology 16(2):145–176.
- 1998 Planning and Problem Solving: Differences between Brazilian and German Students. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 29(6):695–716. , and
- 1999 The Fate of the Moros: A Cross-Cultural Exploration of Strategies in Complex and Dynamic Decision Making. International Journal of Psychology 34(4):235–252. , and
- 1996 Boxing and Society: An International Analysis. New York : Manchester University Press.
- 2006 Arithmetic Processing in the Brain Shaped by Cultures. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 103(28):10775–10780. , , , , , , , and
- 2003 Making Sense of Emerald Commotion: Rugby Union, National Identity and Ireland. Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power 10(4):495–515.
- 2007 Perception, Cognition, and Decision Training: The Quiet Eye in Action. Champaign , IL : Human Kinetics.
- 2008 How to Exploit Diversity for Scientific Gain: Using Individual Differences to Constrain Cognitive Theory. Current Directions in Psychological Science 17(2):171–176. Direct Link:, and
- 2011 Increased Cortical Thickness in Sports Experts: A Comparison of Diving Players with the Controls. PLoS ONE 6(2):e17112. , , , and
- 2000 Perceptual Skill in Soccer: Implications for Talent Identification and Development. Journal of Sports Sciences 18(9):737–750.
- 2005 Perceptual-Cognitive Expertise in Sport: Some Considerations When Applying the Expert Performance Approach. Human Movement Science 24(3):283–307. , and
- 2002 Anticipation Skill in a Real-World Task: Measurement, Training, and Transfer in Tennis. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 8(4):259–270. , , , and
- 1984 Affect and Cognition: The Hard Interface. In Emotion, Cognition, and Behavior. Carroll E. Izard, Jerome Kagan, and Robert B. Zajonc, eds. Pp. 73–102. London : Cambridge University Press. , and
- 2007 Neural Basis of Cultural Influence on Self-Representation. NeuroImage 34(3):1310–1316. , , , and