LIFE HISTORY AND REAL LIFE: AN EXAMPLE OF NEUROANTHROPOLOGY IN ABORIGINAL AUSTRALIA
Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Annals of Anthropological Practice
Special Issue: Neuroanthropology and Its Applications
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 149–166, May 2012
How to Cite
Burbank, V. K. (2012), LIFE HISTORY AND REAL LIFE: AN EXAMPLE OF NEUROANTHROPOLOGY IN ABORIGINAL AUSTRALIA. Annals of Anthropological Practice, 36: 149–166. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-9588.2012.01097.x
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2012
- 1976 The Original Australians. Rev. edition. Sydney : Rigby.
- 1984 Hunter-Gatherer Subsistence Production in Arnhem Land: The Original Affluence Hypothesis Re-Examined. Mankind 14(3):179–190.
- 2011 A Different Inequality: The Politics of Debate about Remote Aboriginal Australia. Crows Nest , NSW : Allen and Unwin.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics 2005 The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, 2005. http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442458575, accessed November 12, 2011.
- 1994 Mothers, Babies, and Disease in Later Life. London : BMJ Publishing.
- 2004 The Developmental Origins of Chronic Adult Disease. Acta Paediatric 93(s446):26–33.
- 1964 Historical Geography of White Settlement in Part of Northern Australia, Part 2, the Katherine-Darwin region. Canberra : CSIRO. Division of Land Research and Regional Survey.
- 1985 The Enigma of Aboriginal Health: Interaction between Biological, Social and Economic Factors in Alice Springs Town-Camps. Canberra : Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies.
- 1985 Hunter-Gatherer Energetics and Fertility: A Reassessment of the !Kung San. Human Ecology 13(1):79–109.
- 1993 The Fertility of Agricultural and Non-Agricultural Traditional Societies. Population Studies 47(2):269–281. , , and
- 2001 Fertility Changes with the Prehistoric Transition to Agriculture: Perspectives from Reproductive Ecology and Paleodemography. In Reproductive Ecology and Human Evolution. Peter Ellison, ed. Pp. 203–231. New York : Aldine de Gruyter. , , and
- 1989 Causes of Conjugal Dissolution: A Cross-Cultural Study. Current Anthropology 30(5):654–676.
- 1999 Social Organization, Stress and Health. In Social Determinants of Health. Eric Brunner and Michael Marmot, eds. Pp. 17–23. Oxford : Oxford University Press. , and
- 1980 Expressions of Anger and Aggression in an Australian Aboriginal Community. PhD Thesis, Department of Anthropology, Rutgers University.
- 1988 Aboriginal Adolescence: Maidenhood in an Australian Community. New Brunswick : Rutgers University Press.
- 1994 Fighting Women: Anger and Aggression in Aboriginal Australia. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2006 From Bedtime to On Time: Why Many Aboriginal People Don't Especially Like Participating in Western Institutions. Anthropological Forum 16(1):3–20.
- 2011 An Ethnography of Stress: The Social Determinants of Health in Aboriginal Australia. New York : Palgrave Macmillan.
- 1989 Old and New Inequalities in a Southeast Arnhem Land Community: Polygyny, Marriage Age and Birth Spacing. In Emergent inequalities in Aboriginal Australia. Jon C. Altman, ed. Pp. 85–94. Oceania Monograph 38. Sydney : University of Sydney. , and
- 1992 Gender Differences in the Perception of Ideal Family Size in an Australian Aboriginal Community. In Father-Child Relations: Cultural and Biosocial Contexts. Barry S. Hewlett, ed. Pp. 177–189. New York : Aldine de Gruyter. , and
- 2007 Social Determinants of Indigenous Health. Crows Nest , NSW : Allen and Unwin. , , , and , eds.
- 1991 Monogamy and Polygyny in Southeast Arnhem Land: Male Coercion and Female Choice. Ethology and Socio-Biology 12(4):291–313. , and
- 1977 A Critical Appraisal of Anglican Mission Policy and Practice in Arnhem Land, 1908–1939. In Aborigines and Change: Australia in the ‘70s. Ronald M. Berndt, ed. Pp. 177–198. Canberra : Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies.
- 1979 The Aborigines of Arnhem Land. Adelaide : Rigby.
- 1982 A History of Numbulwar. Bendigo , VIC : Keith Cole Publication.
- 1985 From Mission to Church: The CMS Mission to the Aborigines of Arnhem Land 1908–1985. Bendigo , VIC : Keith Cole.
- 1981 The determinants of fertility among Australian Aborigines. Mankind 13(1):37–55.
- 2012 Neuroanthropology and the Encultured Brain. In The Encultured Brain: An Introduction to Neuroanthropology. Daniel H. Lende and Greg Downey, eds. Pp. 55–141. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , and
- 2000 The Health Consequences of Cultural Consonance: Cultural Dimensions of Lifestyle, Social Support and Arterial Blood Pressure in an African American Community. American Anthropologist 102(2):244–260. , and
- 2011 Psychological Science on Pregnancy: Stress Processes, Biopsychosocial Models, and Emerging Research Issues. Annual Review of Psychology 62:531–538.
- 1976 Associative illness among Aboriginals. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 10(1A):89–94.
- 2001 On Fertile Ground. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 2005 Evolutionary Perspectives on the Fetal Origins Hypothesis. American Journal of Human Biology 17(1):113–118.
- 2003 Early Adiposity Rebound in Childhood and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Adult Life. Diabetologia 42(2):190–194. , , , , and
- 1991 The History and Politics of Aboriginal Health. In The Health of Aboriginal Australia. Janice Reid and Peggy Trompf, eds. Pp. 1–36. Marrickville , NSW : Harcoutrt Brace Jovanovich. , and
- 2009 How Race Becomes Biology: Embodiment of Social Inequality. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 139(1):47–57.
- 2004 Health Expenditure, Income and Health Status among Indigenous and Other Australians. Canberra : ANU Press. http://.anu.edu.au/caepr_sereis/no/moblie-devices/index.html, accessed October 12, 2011. , , and
- 2007 Early Life Events and Their Consequences for Later Disease: A Life History and Evolutionary Perspective. American Journal of Human Biology 19(1):1–19. , , and
- 2007 The Neurobiology of Stress and Development. Annual Review of Psychology 58:145–173. , and
- 2001 The Nutritional Basis of the Fetal Origins of Adult Disease. International Journal of Epidemiology 30(1):15–23.
- 1979 Demography of the Dobe !Kung. New York : Academic.
- 2009 Developmental Origins of Adult Function and Health: Evolutionary Hypotheses. Annual Review of Anthropology 38:131–147. , and
- 2008 Epigenetics and the embodiment of race: Developmental origins of US Racial Disparities in Cardiovascular health. American Journal of Human Biology 21(1):2–15. , and
- 1986 Human Adolescence and Reproduction: An Evolutionary Perspective. In School-Age Pregnancy and Parenthood: Biosocial Dimensions. Jane Lancaster and Beatrix Hamburg, eds. Pp. 17–38. New York : Aldine de Gruyter.
- 2006 Birth Outcomes for Arabic-Named Women in California before and after September 11. Demography 43(1):185–201.
- 1992 Decreased Birthweights in Infants after Maternal in utero Exposure to the Dutch Famine of 1944–45. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 6(2):240–253.
- 1960 Food Consumption and Dietary Levels of Groups of Aborigines Living on Naturally Occurring Foods. In Records of the Australian America Scientific Expedition, vol. 2. C. P. Mountford, ed. Pp. 90–135. Melbourne : Melbourne University Press.
- 2003 The Concept of Allostasis in Biology and Biomedicine. Hormones and Behaviour 43(1):2–15. , and
- 1978 Good Morning Lumbarra: Stories for Children Based upon the Experiences of a Missionary amongst Aborigines at Numbulwar in Arnhem Land, North Australia. Mt Tamborine , Qld : John T. Mercer.
- 1978 “Making People Quiet” in the Pastoral North: Reminiscences of Elsey Station. Aboriginal History 2(1):70–106.
- 2005 Explorations towards Intercultural Accounts of Socio-cultural Reproduction and Change. Oceania 75(3):167–182.
- 1984 The “Myths” of Ngalakan History: Ideology and Images of the Past in Northern Australia. Man 19(3):459–478. , and
- 2003 Anthropology, Inequality, and Sisease: A Review. Annual Review of Anthropology 32(1):447–474. , and
- 2007 The Value of Autonomy: Christianity, Organisation and Performance in an Aboriginal Community. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Sydney.
- 2009 Prenatal Stress and Neurodevelopment of the Child: Focus on the HPA Axis and Role of the Placenta. Developmental Neuroscience 31(4):285–292. , , and
- 1993 Demand Sharing: Reciprocity and the Pressure for Generosity among Foragers. American Anthropologist 95(4):860–874.
- 1990 A Picnic with the Natives: Aboriginal-European Relations in the Northern Territory to 1910. Melbourne : Melbourne University Press.
- 1991 Aboriginal Health and Society: The Traditional and Contemporary Aboriginal Struggle for Better Health. St. Leonards , NSW : Allen and Unwin. , and
- 1993 Endocrinology Alfresco: Psychoendocrine Studies of Wild Baboons. Recent Progress in Hormone Research 48:437–468.
- 2004 Social Status and Health in Humans and Other Animals. Annual Review of Anthropology 33:393–418.
- 2004 The Maternal Depletion Transition in Northern Kenya: The Effects of Settlement, Development and Disparity. Social Science and Medicine 58(12):2485–2498. , and
- 1958 Children of the Kibbutz: A Study in Child Training and Personality. New York : Schocken.
- 1986 The Developmental Niche: A Conceptualization at the Interface of Child and Culture. International Journal of Behavioural Development 9(4):545–569. , and
- 2000 Ngurkurr at the Millennium: A Baseline Profile for Social Impact Planning in South-East Arnhem Land. Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research. Research Monograph No. 18, Australian National University , Canberra . , , and
- 2001 Birth Weight and the Risk of Depressive Disorder in Later Life. British Journal of Psychiatry 179:450–455. , , , , and
- 1983 Donald Thomson in Arnhem Land. South Yarra , VIC : Currey O’Neil.
- 1974 Tradition and Transformation: A Study of Aborigines in the Groote Eylandt Area, Northern Australia. Canberra : Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies.
- 2001 Association of Schizophrenia with Low Maternal Body Mass Index, Small Size at Birth, and Thinness during Childhood. Archives of General Psychiatry 58(1):48–52. , , , , and
- 1999 Evolutionary Perspectives on the Onset of Puberty. In Evolutionary Medicine. Wenda Trevathan, E. O. Smith, and James J. McKenna, eds. Pp. 135–163. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2005 Life History and the Early Origins of Health Differentials. American Journal of Human Biology 17(1):95–112. , and
- 2006 Prevention of Programmed Hyperleptinemia and Hypertension by Postnatal Dietary ω-3 Fatty Acids. Endocrinology 147(1):599–606. , , , , and
- 1981 Tribal Communities in Rural Areas: The Aboriginal Component in the Australian Economy. Canberra : Development Studies Centre, Australian National University.