FROM WHITE BULLETS TO BLACK MARKETS AND GREENED MEDICINE: THE NEUROECONOMICS AND NEURORACIAL POLITICS OF OPIOID PHARMACEUTICALS
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Annals of Anthropological Practice
Special Issue: Neuroanthropology and Its Applications
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 167–182, May 2012
How to Cite
Hansen, H. and Skinner, M. E. (2012), FROM WHITE BULLETS TO BLACK MARKETS AND GREENED MEDICINE: THE NEUROECONOMICS AND NEURORACIAL POLITICS OF OPIOID PHARMACEUTICALS. Annals of Anthropological Practice, 36: 167–182. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-9588.2012.01098.x
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- 2007 Buprenorphine misuse in Finland. Substance Use and Misuse 42(6):1027–1028. , , , and
- 2010 Capitalism and the Politics of Resignation. Current Anthropology 51(4):459–486. , and
- 2009 Lack of Reduction in Buprenorphine Injection After Introduction of Co-Formulated Buprenorphine/Naloxone to the Malaysian Market. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 35(2):68–72. , , , , and
- 2011 Abuse risks and routes of administration of different prescription opioid compounds and formulations. Harm Reduction Journal 8(1):29. http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/8/1/29, accessed January 30, 2012. , , , , and
- 2010 Toward a Critical Neuroscience of “Addiction.” BioSocieties 5(1):89–104.
- 2011 The Metapharmacology of the “Addicted Brain.” History of the Present 1(2):194–218.
- 2012 The History of the Development of Buprenorphine as an Addiction Therapeutic. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1248:124–139. , and
- CASA National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University 2009 Shoveling Up II: The Impact of Substance Abuse on Federal, State, and Local Budgets. http://www.casacolumbia.org/articlefiles/380-ShovelingUpII.pdf, accessed May 11, 2012.
- 2005 Trends in Abuse of Oxycontin® and Other Opioid Analgesics in the United States: 2002–2004. Journal of Pain 6(10):662–672. , , and
- 2003 Biomedicalization: Technoscientific Transformations of Health, Illness, and U.S. Biomedicine. American Sociological Review 68(2):161–194. , , , , and
- CNN 2003 Rush Limbaugh Admits Addiction to Pain Medication. CNN Entertainment, October 10. http://articles.cnn.com/2003--10--10/entertainment/rush.limbaugh_1_wilma-cline-rush-limbaugh-inaccuracies-and-distortions?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ, accessed electronically November 23, 2011
- 2005 The Shifting Engines of Medicalization. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 46(1):3–14.
- 2001 Dark Paradise: Opiate Addiction in America Before 1940. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- 1966 Narcotic Blockade. Archives of Internal Medicine 118(4):304–309. , , and
- 2006 The Molecular Reinscription of Race: Unanticipated Issues in Biotechnology and Forensic Science. Patterns of Prejudice 40(4–5):427–441.
- 2007 Why Buprenorphine Is So Successful in Treating Opiate Addiction in France. Current Psychiatry Reports 9(5):358–364. , and
- 1999 Building a New Biocultural Synthesis. Ann Arbor , MI : University of Michigan Press. , and
- 2009 How Race Becomes Biology: Embodiment of Social Inequality. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 139(1):47–57.
- 1997 The Heroin Epidemic in New York City: Current Status and Prognoses. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 29(4):375–391. , , , , , , , , , , and
- Buprenorphine and Methadone in New York City: Two Tiers of Treatment? Unpublished MS, New York University. , , , , and N.d.
- 2003 From Morphine Clinics to Buprenorphine: Regulating Opioid Agonist Treatment of Addiction in the United States. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 70(supp. 2):3–11. , and
- 2011 Re-Socializing Psychiatry: Critical Neuroscience and the Limits of Reductionism. In Critical Neuroscience: Handbook of the Social and Cultural Contexts of Neuroscience. Suparna Choudhury and Jan Slaby, eds. Pp. 305–330. Oxford : Wiley-Blackwell. , and
- 2005 Methadone Treatment Marks 40 Years. JAMA 294(8):887–889.
- 2011 Critical Biocultural Approaches in Medical Anthropology. In A Companion to Medical Anthropology. Merrill Singer and Pamela I. Erickson, eds. Pp. 29–47. Malden , MA : Wiley-Blackwell. , and
- 2010 An Anthropology of Biomedicine. Malden , MA : Wiley-Blackwell. , and
- 2006 Addiction Markets: The Case of High Dose Buprenorphine in France. In Global Pharmaceuticals: Ethics, Markets and Practices. Adriana Petryna, Andrew Lakoff, and Arthur Kleinman, eds., Durham , NC : Duke University Press
- 2008 Therapeutic Opioids: A Ten-Year Perspective on the Complexities and Complications of Escalating Use, Abuse, and Nonmedical Use of Opioids. Pain Physician 11(supp. 2):63–88. , and
- 2003 Methadone Maintenance Therapy versus No Opioid Replacement Therapy for Opioid Dependence. Cochrane Database Systems Review 2003(2):CD002209. , , , and
- 2000 Drug Dependence: A Chronic Mental Illness. JAMA 284(13):1689–1695. , , , and
- 2007 Bioethnic Conscription: Genes, Race and Mexicana/o Ethnicity in Diabetes Research. Cultural Anthropology 22(1):94–128.
- National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) 2011 Prescription Drug Abuse: A Research Update from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. May 2011. http://drugabuse.gov/tib/prescription.html, accessed November 23, 2012.
- 2010 Becoming Normal: The Social Construction of Buprenorphine and New Attempts to Medicalize Addiction. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Sociology, City University of New York Graduate Center .
- Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals 2009 Powering Ahead: Annual Report and Financial Statements 2009. http://annualreport2009.rb.com/Home, accessed April 28, 2012.
- Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals 2010 Driving Innovative Growth: Annual Report and Financial Statements 2010. http://www.rb.com/Investors-media/Investor-information/Online-Annual-Report-2010, accessed April 28, 2012.
- 2011 Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-Create Race in the Twenty-First Century. New York : New Press.
- 2011 The Shortsighted Brain: Neuroeconomics and the Governance of Choice in Time. Social Studies of Science 41(4):515–538. , and
- 2000 Methadone Maintenance vs. 180-Day Psychosocially Enriched Detoxification for Treatment of Opioid Dependence: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA 283(10):1303–1310. , , , , , , , and
- 2008 Drugging the Poor: Legal and Illegal Drug Industries and the Structuring of Social Inequality. Long Grove , IL : Waveland Press
- 2009 Why Should Addiction Medicine Be an Attractive Field for Young Physicians? Addiction 104(2):169–172. , and
- 2006 Expanding Treatment of Opioid Dependence: Initial Physician and Patient Experiences with the Adoption of Buprenorphine. American Society of Addiction Medicine, March 2006. Presentation. http://www.buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/ASAM_06_Final_Results.pdf, accessed March 10, 2010. , , , , and
- 2009 The Promotion and Marketing of OxyContin: Commercial Triumph, Public Health Tragedy. American Journal of Public Health 99(2):221–227.
- 2005 Medication Development for Addictive Disorders: The State of the Science. American Journal of Psychiatry 162(8):1432–1440. , , and
- 2010a Birth of a Brain Disease: Science, the State and Addiction Neuropolitics. History of the Human Sciences 23(4):52–67.
- 2010b Neuroscience, Power and Culture: An Introduction. History of the Human Sciences 23(10):1–10.