POVERTY POISONS THE BRAIN
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 by the American Anthropological Association
Annals of Anthropological Practice
Special Issue: Neuroanthropology and Its Applications
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 183–201, May 2012
How to Cite
Lende, D. H. (2012), POVERTY POISONS THE BRAIN. Annals of Anthropological Practice, 36: 183–201. doi: 10.1111/j.2153-9588.2012.01099.x
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- 2010 Health Disparities across the Lifespan: Meaning, Methods, and Mechanisms. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1186(1):5–23. , and
- 1998 Beyond European Enlightenment: Toward a Critical and Humanistic Human Biology. In Building a New Biocultural Synthesis: Political-Economic Perspectives on Human Biology. Alan H. Goodman and Thomas L. Leatherman, eds. Pp. 379–406. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press.
- 2009 Lifecourse Priorities among Appalachian Emerging Adults: Revisiting Wallace's Organization of Diversity. Ethos 37(2):225–242. , , , , and
- 2005 Radical Contextualization: Contributions to an Anthropology of Racial/Ethnic Health Disparities. Health 9(1):145–167. , and
- Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health, Committee on Early Childhood, Adoption, and Dependent Care, and Section on Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, , , , , , , , , and 2012 Early Childhood Adversity, Toxic Stress, and the Role of the Pediatrician: Translating Developmental Science Into Lifelong Health. Pediatrics 129(1): e224–e231.
- 2010 “Practice without Theory”: A Neuroanthropological Perspective on Embodied Learning. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 16(supp. 1):22–40.
- 1994 Economic Deprivation and Early Childhood Development. Child Development 65(2):296–318. , , and
- 2011 Culture and the Stress Process. In A Companion to Medical Anthropology. Merrill Singer and Pamela Erickson, eds. Pp. 119–134. New York : Wiley-Blackwell.
- 2010 Suffering, Hope, and Entrapment: Resilience and Cultural Values in Afghanistan. Social Science and Medicine 71(1):71–83. , and
- 2012 Abnormal Brain Structure Implicated in Stimulant Drug Addiction. Science 335(6068):601–604. , , , , , and
- 2011 Epigenetic Vestiges of Early Developmental Adversity: Childhood Stress Exposure and DNA Methylation in Adolescence. Child Development. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8624.2011.01641.x, accessed February 24, 2012. , , , , , , and
- 2012 How Poverty Gets Under the Skin: A Life Course Perspective. In The Oxford Handbook of Poverty and Child Development. Valerie Maholmes and Rosalind B. King, eds. Pp. 13–36. New York : Oxford University Press. , , , and
- 2009 Childhood Poverty, Chronic Stress, and Adult Working Memory. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106(16):6545–6549. , and
- 2007 Why Words Can Hurt Us: Social Relationships, Stress, and Health. In Evolutionary Medicine and Health. Wena Trevathan, E. O. Smith, and James J. McKenna, eds. Pp. 247–258. Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- 2011 Policing Methamphetamine: Narcopolitics in Rural America. New York : New York University Press.
- 2009 How Race Becomes Biology: Embodiment of Social Inequality. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 139(1):47–57.
- 2009 Socioeconomic Status and the Developing Brain. Trends in Cognitive Science 13(2):65–73. , and
- 2010 Socioeconomic Status and the Brain: Mechanistic Insights from Human and Animal Research. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 11(9):651–659. , , and
- 2012 Addicts’ Brains May be Wired at Birth for Less Self-Control. Morning Edition, National Public Radio. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02/03/146307907/addicts-brains-may-be-wired-at-birth-for-less-self-control, accessed February 3, 2012.
- 2009 Anxiety, Remembering, and Agency: Biocultural Insights for Understanding Sasaks’ Responses to Illness. Ethos 37(1):1–31.
- 2010 How Experience Gets Under the Skin to Create Gradients in Developmental Health. Annual Review of Public Health, 31(1):329–347. , and
- 2009 Low Childhood IQ and Early Adult Mortality: The Role of Explanatory Factors in the 1958 British Birth Cohort. Pediatrics 124(3):e380–e388. , , , , and
- 2009 Poverty Goes Straight to the Brain. Wired Science. March 30. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/poordevelopment/, accessed February 3, 2012.
- 2005 Embodiment: A Conceptual Glossary for Epidemiology. Journal of Epidemiology of Community Health 59(5):350–355.
- 2012 A Poverty Solution that Starts with a Hug. New York Times. January 7. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/opinion/sunday/kristof-a-poverty-solution-that-starts-with-a-hug.html, accessed February 9, 2012.
- 2008 Poverty is Poison. New York Times. February 18. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/opinion/18krugman.html, accessed February 3, 2012.
- 2009 Epigenetics and the Embodiment of Race: Developmental Origins of US Racial Disparities in Cardiovascular Health. American Journal of Human Biology, 21(1):2–15. , and
- 2008 Poverty Poisons the Brain. Neuroanthropology: For a Greater Understanding of an Encultured Brain and Body. http://neuroanthropology.net/2008/02/18/poverty-poisons-the-brain/, accessed February 3, 2012.
- 2009 Effects of Stress throughout the Lifespan on the Brain, Behaviour and Cognition. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 10(6):434–445. , , , and
- 2011 Psychological Perspectives on Pathways Linking Socioeconomic Status and Physical Health. Annual Review of Psychology 62(1):501–530. , and
- 2008 Beyond the Gradient: An Integrative Anthropological Perspective on Social Stratification, Stress, and Health. In Health, Risk and Adversity. Catherine Panter-Brick and Agustín Fuentes, eds. Pp. 209–235. New York : Berghahn.
- 2010 Central Role of the Brain in Stress and Adaptation: Links to Socioeconomic Status, Health, and Disease. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1186(1):190–222. , and
- 2009 Health Psychology: Developing Biologically Plausible Models Linking the Social World and Physical Health. Annual Review of Psychology 60(1):501–524. , , and
- 2007 Adverse Environments: Investigating Local Variation in Child Growth. American Journal of Human Biology 19(5):676–683. , and
- 2009 The Impact of Episodic and Chronic Poverty on Child Cognitive Development. The Journal of Pediatrics 154(2):284–289.e1. , , , , , and
- 2007 Socioeconomic Gradients Predict Individual Differences in Neurocognitive Abilities. Developmental Science 10(4):464–480. , , and
- 2009 Interactions of Temperature and Culture: The Organization of Diversity in Samoan Infancy. Ethos 37(2):161–180.
- 2005 The Influence of Social Hierarchy on Primate Health. Science 29(308):648–652.
- 1992 Risk Focusing: An Example of Biocultural Interaction. In Health and Lifestyle Change, vol. 9. Rebecca Huss-Ashmore, Joan Schall, and Mary Hediger, eds. Pp. 137–147. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
- 2006 Discrimination, Symptoms of Depression, and Self-Rated Health among African American Women in Detroit: Results from a Longitudinal Analysis. American Journal of Public Health 96(7):1265–1270. , , , , , and
- 2007 Anthropological and Psychological Merge: Design of a Stress Measure for Mexican Farmworkers. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 31(3):359–88. , , , , and
- 2012 Understanding the Role of Everyday Practices of Privilege in the Perpetuation of Inequalities. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology 22(2):145–158. , and
- 2010 “If Your Shoes Are Raggedy You Get Talked About”: Symbolic and Material Dimensions of Adolescent Social Status and Health. Social Science and Medicine 70(12):2029–2035.
- 2012 Siblings Brain Study Sheds Light on the Roots of Addiction. Time Healthland, February 3. http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/03/siblings-brain-study-sheds-light-on-the-roots-of-addiction/, accessed February 12, 2012.
- 2009 Habits of the Heart: Life History and the Developmental Neuroendocrinology of Emotion. American Journal of Human Biology 21(6):772–781.
- 2010 The Ecology of Human Development: Evolving Models for Cultural Psychology. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 41(4):546–562.