Impact of weather conditions on Escherichia coli accumulation in oysters of the Thau lagoon (the Mediterranean, France)
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Society for Applied Microbiology
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 114, Issue 2, pages 516–525, February 2013
How to Cite
Derolez, V., Soudant, D., Fiandrino, A., Cesmat, L. and Serais, O. (2013), Impact of weather conditions on Escherichia coli accumulation in oysters of the Thau lagoon (the Mediterranean, France). Journal of Applied Microbiology, 114: 516–525. doi: 10.1111/jam.12040
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 OCT 2012 07:24AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUL 2012
- AERM&C, Région Languedoc-Roussillon, Conseil Général de l'Hérault, FEDER
- AFNOR (2002) Norme NF V08-106, 2002. Dénombrement des Escherichia coli dans les coquillages marins vivants. Technique indirecte par impédancemétrie directe, 16 p.
- Anonymous (2004) Regulation (EC) No 854/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 laying down specific rules for the organisation of official controls on products of animal origin intended for human consumption. Official J Eur Union L226, 83–127.
- Anonymous (2006). Commission Regulation (EC) No 1666/2006 of 6 November 2006 amending Regulation (EC) No 2076/2005 laying down transitional arrangements for the implementation of Regulations (EC) No 853/2004, (EC) No 854/2004 and (EC) No 882/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council.
- 1989) Uptake and elimination of coliform bacteria by four marine bivalve mollusks. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 46, 1592–1595. (
- 2011) Modeling of Escherichia coli fluxes on a catchment and the impact on coastal water and shellfish quality. J Am Water Resour Assoc 47, 350–366. , , , , and (
- 1995) Allometric relationships and effects of temperature on clearance and oxygen consumption rates of Crassostrea gigas (Thunberg). Aquaculture 134, 143–154. , , , and (
- 2000) Selective accumulation may account for shellfish-associated viral illness. Appl Environ Microbiol 66, 1375–1378. and (
- 1992) Seasonal effects on accumulation of microbial indicator organisms by Mercenaria mercenaria. Appl Environ Microbiol 58, 826–831. , and (
- 1970) Accumulation of Escherichia coli by the Northern Quahaug. Appl Microbiol 19, 239–244. and (
- 2007) Fecal coliforms in bivalve harvesting areas of the Alvor lagoon (Southern Portugal): influence of seasonal variability and urban development. Environ Monit Assess 133, 31–41. and (
- CEN (2005). EN 872:2005. Water quality. Determination of suspended solids. Method by filtration through glass fibre filters.
- 2005) Fecal coliform bacteria disappearance rates in a north-central Gulf of Mexico estuary. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 65, 309–318. , and (
- 2011) Fecal bacterial loads during flood events in Northwestern Mediterranean coastal rivers. J Hydrol 405, 501–511. , , , , , and (
- 2012) Microbial water quality before and after the repair of a failing onsite wastewater treatment system adjacent to coastal waters. J Appl Microbiol 112, 214–224. , , and (
- 2008) Impacts of rainfall on the water quality of the Newport River Estuary (Eastern North Carolina, USA). J Water Health 6, 473–482. and (
- 2010) Investigating an avian source of shellfish fecal contaminations in the Thau lagoon (Mediterranean, France). In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Molluscan Shellfish Safety (ICMSS). Nantes, 14–19 June 2009. Available at: http://www.symposcience.org/exl-doc/colloque/ART-00002553.pdf [accessed 3 July 2012]. , , , and (
- 2004) Calibration of the impedance method for rapid quantitative estimation of Escherichia coli in live marine bivalve molluscs. J Appl Microbiol 96, 894–902. , , and (
- EPA (1997) Compendium of Tools for Watershed Assessment and TMDL Development, EPA-841-B-97–006. Available at: http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/lawsguidance/cwa/tmdl/comptool.cfm [accessed 3 July 2012].
- 2003) Bacterial contamination of Mediterranean coastal seawater as affected by riverine inputs: simulation approach applied to a shellfish breeding area (Thau lagoon, France). Water Res 37, 1711–1722. , , , and (
- 2010) Microbial modelling in coastal environment and implementation of early system, useful tools to limit shellfish microbial contamination. In Safe management of shellfish and harvest waters eds Rees, G., Pond, K., Kay, D., Bartram, J. and Santo Domingo, J. pp. 297–318. London: WHO, IWA Publishing. , , , , , , and (
- 1936) Adaptation of the feeding mechanism of the oyster (Ostrea gigas) to changes in salinity. Bull US Bureau Fish 48, 345–363. (
- ISO (1994) ISO 5725-2:1994. Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results - Part 2: Basic method for the determination of repeatability and reproducibility of a standard measurement method. 42 p.
- ISO (1998) ISO 9308-3:1998. Water quality. Detection and enumeration of Escherichia coli and coliform bacteria. Part 3: Miniaturized method (Most Probable Number) for the detection and enumeration of E. coli in surface and waste water. 20 p.
- ISO (2007) ISO 7218:2007. Microbiology of food and animal feeding. 69 p.
- 2005) Impact of urban stromwater runoff on estuarine environmental quality. Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 63, 513–526. , , and (
- 2008) The role of marine aggregates in the ingestion of picoplankton-size particles by suspension-feeding molluscs. Mar Biol 153, 797–805. and (
- 2006) Bacterial contamination associated with estuarine shoreline development. J Appl Microbiol 100, 648–657. and (
- 2006) Elaboration of a strategy to limit shellfish viral contamination. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Molluscan Shellfish Safety, Galway. 2004, pp. 342–349. , , , and (
- 2009) Evidence of the presence of viral contamination in shellfish after short rainfall events. In Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Molluscan Shellfish Safety (ICMSS) eds The Royal Society of New Zealand, 2009. Miscellaneous Series 71, pp. 256–262. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 1995) The relationship between levels of E. coli in shellfish and seawater with reference to legislative standards. In Proceeding of the International Mollusc Conference, Sydney, November 1994. , and (
- 2000) Study of the bacterial content of ring-billed gull dropping in relation to recreational water quality. Water Res 34, 1089–1096. , , , and (
- 2001) The effects of seasonal variability and weather on microbial fecal pollution and enteric pathogens in a subtropical estuary. Estuaries 24, 266–276. , , , , and (
- 2011) Experimental uptake and retention of pathogenic and nonpathogenic Vibrio parahaemolyticus in two species of clams: Ruditapes decussatus and Ruditapes philippinarum. J Appl Microbiol 111, 197–208. , , , and (
- 2007) Microbial contamination and management scenarios in a Mediterranean coastal lagoon (Etang de Thau, France): application of a Decision Support System within the Integrated Coastal Zone Management context. Transit Waters Monogr 1, 107–127. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2010) Removal of Escherichia coli, Enterococcus fecalis, coliphage MS2, poliovirus, and hepatitis A virus from oysters (Crassostrea virginica) and hard shell clams (Mercinaria mercinaria) by depuration. Int J Food Microbiol 143, 211–217. , and (
- 1975) A study on the rate of water transport of the clam Katelysia opima in relation to environmental conditions. Hydrobiologia 47, 439–451. (
- 2006) Molluscan shellfish bacterial contamination in Ria Formosa coastal lagoon: a modelling approach. Proceedings International Coastal Symposium 2004. Santa Catarina, Brazil. J Coast Res 39(special issue), 1551–1555. , , , , and (
- 2008) Comparative microbial dynamics in Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin 1791) and Crassostrea ariakensis (Fujita 1913). J Shellfish Res 27, 559–565. , , and (
- 2009) Evaluation of fecal pollution indicators in an oyster quality assurance program: application of epidemiological methods. J Shellfish Res 28, 263–271. and (
- 2009) Analysis of seawater microbiological quality data in Greece from 1997 to 2006: association of risk factors with bacterial indicators. J Water Health 7, 514–526. , , , , , , and (
- 1990) Contamination of the mussel, Mytilus edulis Linnaeus, 1758, by enteric bacteria. J Shellfish Res 9, 95–101. , , and (
- 2004) Sewage impact on shellfish microbial contamination. Water Sci Technol 50, 117–124. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Fecal contamination in coastal areas: an engineering approach. In Ocean and Health: Pathogens in the Marine Environment eds Belkin, S. and Colwell, R.R. pp. 331–359. New York: Springer. , , , , and (
- 1990) Interactions between bivalve molluscs and bacteria in the marine environment. Oceanogr Mar Biol Annu Rev 28, 277–352. , , , and (
- 2010) Expert consensus. In Safe management of shellfish and harvest waters eds Rees, G., Pond, K., Kay, D., Bartram, J. and Santo Domingo, J. pp. 1–10. London: WHO, IWA Publishing. , and (
- 2007) Microbial impact of small tributaries on water and shellfish quality in shallow coastal areas. Water Res 41, 2774–2786. , , , , and (
- 2003) Molecular surveillance of enterovirus and norwalk-like virus in oysters relocated to a municipal-sewage-impacted gulf estuary. Appl Environ Microbiol 69, 7130–7136. , , and (
- 1999) The rate of concentration of faecal coliforms in shellfish under different environmental conditions. Environ Int 25, 991–1000. , , and (
- US FDA (2009) National Shellfish Sanitation Program Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish. United States Food and Drug Administration. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/FederalStatePrograms/NationalShellfishSanitationProgram/.
- 2005) The impact of bird populations on the microbiological quality of bathing waters. Water Sci Technol 51, 199–207. , and (