[Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://olabout.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-817008.html.]
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Advanced Nursing published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 69, Issue 7, pages 1549–1561, July 2013
How to Cite
2013) Prevalence and risk factors of metabolic syndrome in the Korean population – Korean National Health Insurance Corporation Survey 2008. Journal of Advanced Nursing 69 (7), 1549–1561. doi: 10.1111/jan.12013, & (
[The copyright line for this article was changed on 19 August after original online publication.]
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2012
- 2010) Cardiovascular parameters correlated with metabolic syndrome in a rural community cohort of Korea: the ARIRANG study. Cadiovascular Disorders 25, 1045–1052. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Incidence and related factors of the metabolic syndrome in a university hospital. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion 26(4), 35–47. , , , & (
- 2005) Metabolic syndrome and 10-year cardiovascular disease risk in the Hoorn Study. Circulation 112(5), 666–673. , , , , , , (
- 2004) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in US populations. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America 33, 333–350. (
- 2004) Increasing prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among U S. adults. Diabetes Care 27(2), 2444–2449. , & (
- 1993) Moderate alcoholl intake, increased levels of high density lipoprotein and its subfractions, and decreased risk of myocardial infarction. New England Journal of Medicine 329(25), 1829–1834. , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Metabolic syndrome scientific statement by the American Heart Association and the National, Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 25, 2243–2244. (
- 2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement. Circulation 12, 2735–2752. , , , , & (
- 2007) Alcohol and metabolic syndrome in the Korean women. The Korean Journal of Family Medicine 28(2), 120–126. , , , , , & (
- International Diabetes Federation (2007) Worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Retrieved from http://www.idf.org/home on 14 February 2008.
- 2009) Interaction between fatness and fitness on CVD risk factors in Asian youth. International Journal of Sports Medicine 30, 733–740. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Original Articles: Effects of smoking, alcohol, exercise, level of education, and family history on the metabolic syndrome in Korean adults. The Korean Journal of Medicine 63(6), 649–659. , , & (
- 2010) Relationship among physical activity, smoking, drinking and clustering of the metabolic syndrome diagnostic components. Journal of Artherosclerosis and Thrombosis 17(6), 644–650. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome for Koreans – among the clients of comprehensive medical examination center in one university hospital. Korean Society for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention 2(1), 17–25. (
- 2010) Metabolic syndrome in African Americans: views on making lifestyle changes. Journal of Transcultural Nursing 21(2), 104–113. , , , , & (
- 2009) Prevalence and related factors of metabolic syndrome among Korean older adults. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion 26(4), 129–143. , , , , & (
- 1991) Relation of central obesity and insulin resistance with high diabetes prevalence and cardiovascular risk in South Asians. Lancet 337, 382–386. , & (
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2007) Trade statistics yearbook of Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2007. Ministry of Health and Welfare (2006) Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2011) National Physical Examination Project Information. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2006) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Okayama prefecture, Japan. Internal Medicine 45, 107–108. , , , & (
- National Health Insurance Corporation. (2008) 2008 National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook. National Health Insurance Corporation, Seoul.
- National Institutes of Health: third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) (2001) Executive Summary. Bethesda, MD: National Institute of Health, National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute (NIH Publication no.01-3670).
- 2002) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome as defined by NCEP - ATPIII among the urban Korean population. The Korean Journal of Internal Medicine 63, 290–298. , , , , & (
- 2003a) The relative risk of the metabolic syndrome defined by adult treatment pannel 3 according to insulin resistance in Korean population. The Korean Journal of Internal Medicine 64(5), 552–560. , & (
- 2003b) Prevalence and associated factors of metabolic syndrome among adults in primary care. The Korean Journal of Obesity 12(2), 108–123. , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Association between circulating oxidized low-density lipoprotein and incidence of hte metabolic syndrome. JAMA 21(19), 2287–2293. , , , , & (
- 1988) Role of insuline resistance in human disease. Diabetes 37, 1595–1607. (
- 2009) Metabolic syndrome in Mexican adults Results from the National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica de Mexica 52(1), S11–S18. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) The influence of metabolic syndrome on the intima-medial thickness and cardiovascular factors in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 28(5), 1–15. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Approaches to treatment of the patient with metabolic syndrome; lifestyle therapy. The American Journal of Cardiology 9694(a), 15e–21e. & (
- 1999) Education and the metabolic syndrome in women. Diabetes Care 22(12), 1999–2003. , , , , , (
- 2008) The metabolic syndrome predicts incident stroke: a 14-year follow-up study in elderly people in Finland. Journal of Cerebral Circulation 39, 1078–1083. , , , , & (
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1999) Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Report of a WHO consultation.
- 2009) Impact of life style characterisitics on prevalence risk of metabolic syndrome. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing 39(4), 594–601. , , , & (
- 2011) Association between body–mass index and risk of death in more than 1 million asians. The New England Journal of Medicine 364(8), 719–729. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , (