Experiences of family carers of older people with mental health problems in the acute general hospital: a qualitative study
Article first published online: 23 APR 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 69, Issue 12, pages 2707–2716, December 2013
How to Cite
2013) Experiences of family carers of older people with mental health problems in the acute general hospital: a qualitative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 69(12), 2707–2716. doi: 10.1111/jan.12159, , & (
- Issue published online: 15 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAR 2013
- National Institute for Health Research Service Delivery and Organisation. Grant Number: 08/1809/227
- 1999) Short versions of the geriatric depression scale: a study of their validity for the diagnosis of a major depressive episode according to ICD-10 and DSM-IV. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 14(10), 858–865. . & (
- Alzheimer's Disease International (2010) World Alzheimer Report 2010. Retrieved from http://www.alz.co.uk/research/files/WorldAlzheimerReport2010.pdf on 24 April 2012.
- Alzheimer's Society (2009) Counting the Cost: Caring for people with Dementia on Hospital Wards. Alzheimer's Society, London.
- Audit Commission (2000) Forget Me Not. The Stationary Office, London.
- Audit Commission (2002) Forget Me Not 2002. The Stationary Office, London.
- 2007) Person-Centred Dementia Care. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London and Philadelphia. (
- 1999) Family response to difficult hospitalizations: the phenomenon of ‘working through’. Journal of Clinical Nursing 8, 459–466. , , , & (
- Care Quality Commission (2011) Dignity and Nutrition. Retrieved from http://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/media/documents/20111007_dignity_and_nutrition_inspection_report_final_update.pdf on 24 April 2012.
- Care Service Improvement Partnership (2005) Everybody's Business – Integrated Mental Health Services for Older Adults: A Service Development Guide. Department of Health, London.
- 2010) Family caregiving to hospitalized end-of-life and acutely ill geriatric patients. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 36(8), 42–50. , & (
- Collins English Dictionary Online. Retrieved from http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/disruption?showCookiePolicy=true on 18 December 2012.
- Department of Health (2001) The National Service Framework for Older People. The Stationary Office, London.
- Department of Health (2009) Living Well With Dementia: A National Dementia Strategy. Department of Health, London.
- 2010) Relatives' experience of the moment of death in a tertiary referral hospital. Mortality 15(1), 81–100. & (
- 2010) Assessment of patient and family needs during and inpatient oncology experience. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing 14(3), 301–306. (
- 2010) Promoting a continuation of self and normality: person-centred care as described by people with dementia, their family members and aged care staff. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 2611–2618. , & (
- 2007) Being family: the family experience when an adult member is hospitalized with a critical illness. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 1618–1628. & (
- 1984) Detecting alcoholism: the CAGE questionnaire. Journal of the American Medical Association 252(14), 1905–1990. (
- 2010) Qualitative research as evidence: criteria for rigour and relevance. Journal of Research in Nursing 15(6), 497–508. , , & (
- 2002) Dis/integrated care: family caregivers and in-hospital respite care. Journal of Advanced Nursing 39(6), 546–553. (
- 2012) Care of Older People with Cognitive Impairment in General Hospitals. SDO funded project. Retrieved from http://www.netscc.ac.uk/hsdr/projdetails.php?ref=08-1809-227 on 28 January 2013. , , , , , , , , & . (
- 1978) Theroetical Sensitivity. The Sociology Press, Mill Valley, California. (
- 1967) The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. Aldine Press, Chicago. & (
- 2000) Caring for a person with dementia in acute hospitals. Australian Nursing Journal 7(10), 1–4. (
- 2012) The prevalence of mental health problems amongst older adults admitted as an emergency to a general hospital. Age and Ageing 41(1), 80–86. , , , , & (
- 2007) The immediate needs of relatives during the hospitalisation of acutely ill older relatives. Contemporary Nurse 26(2), 208–220. & (
- 1972) Evaluation of a mental test score for assessment of mental impairment in the elderly. Age and Ageing 1(4), 233–238. (
- 2000) Psychiatric illness predicts poor outcome after surgery for hip fracture: a prospective cohort study. Psychological Medicine 30(4), 921–929. & (
- 1997) Dementia Reconsidered: The Person Comes First. Open University Press, Maidenhead. (
- 2011) Acute care management of older people with dementia: a qualitative perspective. Journal of Clinical Nursing 20(3/4), 420–428. , , , & (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2006) Dementia: Supporting People with Dementia and Their Carers in Health and Social Care. The Stationary Office, London.
- 1996) Understanding Family Care. Open University Press, Buckingham. , & . (
- 2006) How can we get access to the experiences of people with dementia? Suggestions and reflections. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 13(2), 101–12. (
- 2008) Stroke: coping strategies and depression among Chinese caregivers of survivors during hospitalisation. Journal of Clinical Nursing 17, 1563–1573. & (
- QSR International (2008) Nvivo 8 Fundamentals. QSR International Pty Ltd, Victoria, Australia.
- 2009) Study of the impact of caregivers in an Italian high specialization hospital: presence, cost and nurse's perception. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences 23, 328–333. , , , , & (
- Royal College of Psychiatrists (2005) Who Cares Wins. RCP, London.
- 2009) Dementia in the acute hospital: prospective cohort study of prevalence and mortality. British Journal of Psychiatry 195(1), 61–66. , , , & (
- 2011) Living through end-stage dementia: the experiences and expressed needs of family carers. Dementia 10(3), 325–340. , , & (
- 2009) Family adaptation in relation to a family member's stay in ICU. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing 25, 250–257. , , & (
- 2008) Living with terminal illness: patient and family experiences of hospital end of life care. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 14(5), 220–228. (
- 1994) Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care. The PRIME-MD 1000 study. Journal of the American Medical Association 272(22), 1749–1756. , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Right place – wrong person: dignity in the acute care of older people. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults 12(1), 33–43. , , , & (
- 2010) Challenges to improving end of life care of people with advanced dementia in the UK. Dementia 9(2), 259–284. , , , , & (
- 2009) Relatives of stroke patients – their experiences and needs in hospital. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Science 14, 44–51. , & (
- 2009) The effect of critical care hospitalization on family members: stress and responses. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing 19(4), 40–49. & (
- 2010) The focus of family members' functioning in the acute phase of traumatic coma. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 583–589. , , , & (
- 2000) South Asian patients' lived experience of acute care in an English hospital: a phenomenological study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 32(1), 100–107. (
- World Health Organisation (2012) Dementia: A Public Health Priority. WHO Press, Geneva.