An integrative review of the factors influencing new graduate nurse engagement in interprofessional collaboration
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 70, Issue 1, pages 4–20, January 2014
How to Cite
2013) An integrative review of the factors influencing new graduate nurse engagement in interprofessional collaboration. Journal of Advanced Nursing 70(1), 4–20. doi: 10.1111/jan.12195, , & (
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2013
- 2006) Effects of a 1-year residency program on job satisfaction and retention of new graduate nurses. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 22, 70–77. & (
- American Nurses Association (2012) Nursing Shortage. Retrieved from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ThePracticeofProfessionalNursing/workforce/NursingShortage on 8 October 2012.
- 2009) New graduate RN work satisfaction after completing an interactive nurse residency. Journal of Nursing Administration 39, 165–169. , , & (
- 1997) Nurses' and resident physicians' perceptions of the process of collaboration in an MICU. Research in Nursing & Health 20, 71–80. & (
- 2008) Turnover intention in new graduate nurses: a multivariate analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 62, 41–52. , & (
- 2001) From Novice to Expert. Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice. Prentice Hall, London. (
- 2002) Team Working and Effectiveness in Healthcare. Findings from the Healthcare Team. Effectiveness Project. Aston Centre for Health Service Organization Research, Birmingham. , , , , , , & (
- 2005) First job experiences of recent RN graduates. Journal of Nursing Administration 35, 130–137. & (
- 2004) The Global Shortage of Registered Nurses: An Overview of Issues and Actions. Retrieved from http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/GNRI/Global_Shortage_of_Registered_Nurses_Executive_summary.pdf on 8 October 2012. & (
- 2008) Competency development in new registered nurse graduates: closing the gap between education and practice. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 39, 67–73. & (
- Canadian Nurses' Association (2006) Joint Position Statement. Practice Environments: Maximizing Client, Nurse and System Outcomes. Retrieved from http://www2.cna-aiic.ca/CNA/documents/pdf/publications/PS88-Practice-Environments-e.pdf on 17 June 2013.
- Canadian Nurses' Association (2009) Tested Solutions for Eliminating Canada's Registered Nurse Shortage. Retrieved from http://www.cna-aiic.ca/CNA/issues/hhr/default_e.aspx on 8 October 2012.
- 2005) The impact of a nurse externship program on the transition process from graduate to registered nurse: part II qualitative findings. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 21, 249–256. & (
- 2004) The graduate nurse experience. Journal of Nursing Administration 34, 303–311. , , & (
- Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education (2010) About Caipe. Retrieved from http://www.caipe.org.uk/about-us/ on 8 October 2012.
- 2012) Succeeding in the first year of practice. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 28, 103–107. (
- 2010) ‘Hit the ground running’: perspectives of new nurses and nurse managers on role transition and integration of new graduates. Nursing Leadership 22, 70–86. , , , & (
- 2006) Workplace empowerment, work engagement and organizational commitment of new graduate nurses. Nursing Leadership 19, 43–60. , & (
- 2007) Fit for practice? An exploration of the development of newly qualified nurses using focus groups. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44, 1210–1220. & (
- College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (2005) New Graduate Registered Nurse Study – 2005. College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
- 2003) Beyond MEDLINE for literature searches. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 35, 177–182. , , , , & (
- 2005) Interprofessionality as the field of interprofessional practice and interprofessional education: an emerging concept. Journal of Interprofessional Care 19(Suppl. 1), 8–20. & (
- 1999) L'action collective au sein d'équipes interprofessionelles dans les services de santé. Sciences Sociales et Sante 17, 68–94. , & (
- 2005) The conceptual basis for IPC: core concepts and theoretical frameworks. Journal of Interprofessional Care 19, 116–131. , , & (
- 2003) Walking a fine line: graduate nurses' transition experiences during orientation. Journal of Nursing Education 42, 437–443. (
- 2008) Exploring how new registered nurses construct professional identify in hospital settings. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 39, 255–262. (
- 2012) Evaluating the Impact of Ontario's Late Career Nurse Initiative: March 2012 Interim Report. Nursing Health Services Research Unit, Hamilton, ON. , , , & (
- 2001) Out in the real world: newly graduated nurses in acute-care speak out. Journal of Nursing Administration 31, 426–439. (
- 2003) Critical thinking: perceptions of newly graduated female baccalaureate nurses. Journal of Nursing Education 41, 14–27. (
- 2008) Transition shock: the initial stage of role adaptation for newly graduated registered nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing 65, 1103–1113. (
- 2009) The first year of practice: new graduate nurses' transition and learning needs. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 40, 403–410. & (
- 2003) A study of transition: the new nurse graduate at 3 months. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 34, 103–107. & (
- 2007) Learning to think like a nurse: stories from new nurse graduates. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 38, 24–30. (
- Evidence for Policy and Practice Information and Co-ordinating Centre (2007, updated 2010) EPPI-Centre Methods for Conducting Systematic Reviews. Retrieved from http://eppi.ioe.ac.uk/cms/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=hQBu8y4uVwI%3d&tabid=184&mid=6164 on 1 March 2012.
- 2008) The graduate nurse experience: qualitative residency program outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration 38, 341–348. , , & (
- 1987) Integrative reviews of nursing research. Research in Nursing & Health 10, 1–11. (
- 2000) Still fumbling along? A comparative study of the newly qualified nurse's perception of the transition from student to qualified nurse. Journal of Advanced Nursing 32, 473–480. (
- 2009) Progress meetings: facilitating role transition of the new graduate. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 40, 411–415. , & (
- 2011) Job embeddedness factors and retention of nurses with 1 to 3 years of experience. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 42, 468–476. (
- 2006) Graduate nurse perceptions of the work experience. Nursing Economics 24, 150–155. & (
- Health Canada (2010) Healthy Workplaces. Retrieved from http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/strateg/p3/index-eng.php on 8 October 2012.
- 1995) Collaboration: a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 21, 103–109. , & (
- 2007) Factors that influence engagement in collaborative practice. Canadian Family Physician 53, 1318–1325. , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Nurses' job satisfaction, organizational commitment and career intent. Journal of Nursing Administration 31, 483–488. , , , & (
- Institute of Medicine (2004) Keeping Patients Safe. Transforming the Work Environment of Nurses. National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- International Council of Nurses (2006) The Global Nursing Shortage: Priority Areas for Intervention. International Council of Nurses, Geneva.
- International Council of Nurses (2011) Unemployed and Underemployed Nurses. International Council of Nurses, Geneva.
- 1974) Reality Shock: Why Nurses Leave Nursing. Mosby, St. Louis, MO. (
- 1980) Collaboration in Organizations. Alternatives to Hierarchy. Human Sciences Press, New York. (
- 2011) The role transition of nurses in a university teaching hospital in Pakistan. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 27, 1–5. & (
- 2009a) New graduate burnout: the impact of professional practice, environment, workplace civility and empowerment. Nursing Economics 27, 377–383. , & (
- 2009b) Empowerment, engagement and perceived effectiveness in nursing work environments: does experience matter? Journal of Nursing Management 17, 636–646. , , & (
- 2008) Turnover intentions among new nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 40, 290–297. , , , , & (
- 2007) Critical Review Form – Qualitative Studies (Version 2.0). Retrieved from http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Portals/20/pdf/…/qualreview_version2.0.pdf on 10 June 2013. , , , , & (
- 1977) A multimodal approach to collaborative practice in health settings. Social Work Healthcare 2, 445–454. & (
- 2011) Newly registered nurses' experience in the first year of practice: a phenomenological study. International Journal for Human Caring 15, 21–27. & (
- 2011) Challenges facing newly qualified community nurses: a qualitative study. British Journal of Community Nursing 16, 238–434. , , & (
- 2007) After the graduate year: a phenomenological exploration of how new nurses develop their knowledge and skill over the first 18 months following graduation. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 25, 9–15. & (
- 1994) Qualitative Data Analysis, 2nd edn. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 2007) Newly qualified Irish nurses' interpretation of their preparation and experience of registration. Journal of Clinical Nursing 16, 1610–1617. (
- 2007) Teamwork and healthy workplaces: strengthening the links for deliberation and action through research and policy. Healthcare Papers 7, 98–103. (
- 2008) Professional communication and team collaboration. In Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-based Handbook for Nurses (Hughes R.G., ed.), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, pp. 1–14. & (
- 2009) The ‘millenials’: first year in practice. Nursing Outlook 57, 10–17. (
- 2005) Facilitating role transition for new graduate RNs in a semi-rural healthcare setting. Journal of Nurses Staff Development 21, 284–90. , & (
- 2010) Orientation to emergency nursing : perception of new graduate nurses. Journal of Emergency Nursing 36, 203–211. , , & (
- 2001) Facing reality: the transition from student to graduate nurse. Australian Nursing Journal 8, 24–26. (
- 2004) Nursing Research. Principles and Methods, 7th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA. & (
- 2007) When are new graduate nurses competent in the intensive care unit? Critical Care Nursing Quarterly 30, 199–205. & (
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (2006) Healthy Work Environments Best Practice Guidelines. Collaborative Practice among Nursing Teams. Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario, Toronto, ON.
- 2004) Job satisfaction of new baccalaureate nurses. Journal of Nursing Administration 34, 428–435. , & (
- 2008) Increasing retention of new graduate nurses. A systematic review of interventions by healthcare organizations. The Journal of Nursing Administration 38, 287–296. , & (
- 2005) The determinants of successful collaboration: a review of theoretical and empirical studies. Journal of Interprofessional Care 1, 132–147. , , & (
- 1995) Qualitative analysis: what it is and how to begin. Research in Nursing and Health 18, 371–375. (
- 2009) Estimates of healthcare professional shortages in sub-Saharan Africa by 2015. Health Affairs 38, w849–w862. , , , & (
- 2006a) The first 18 months in practice. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 22, 47–52. & (
- 2006b) Organizational infrastructure to support development of newly graduated nurses. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 22, 286–293. & (
- 2011) New nurses' experiences of their role within interprofessional healthcare teams in mental health. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing 25, 153–163. , & (
- 2011) Clinical decision-making of rural novice nurses. Rural and Remote Health 11, 1–12. (
- 2010) Effects of workplace incivility and empowerment on newly-graduated nurses' organizational commitment. Journal of Nursing Management 18, 1004–1015. , & (
- 2011) What are your perceptions of new RN competency levels? Nursing Management 42, 15–18. , & (
- 2006) Nurse intention to remain employed: understanding and strengthening determinants. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55, 497–509. & (
- 2008) The first year as a graduate nurse – an experience of growth and development. Journal of Clinical Nursing 17, 1877–1885. , & (
- 2009) ‘It depends’: medical residents' perspectives on working with nurses: a qualitative study shows that residents don't necessarily view nurses as colleagues and collaborators. American Journal of Nursing 109, 34–44. , & (
- 2001) Newly qualified staff nurses' perceptions of the role transition. British Journal of Nursing 10, 330–339. (
- 2005) Combining the evidence in nursing research: methods and implications. Nursing Research 54, 56–62. (
- 2005) The integrative review: updated methodology. Journal of Advanced Nursing 52, 546–553. & (
- World Health Organization (2006) Working Together For Health. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2010) Framework for Action on Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011) Global Health and Ageing. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2011) Relational dimensions of a positive integration experience for new mental health nurses. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing 25, 164–173. , , , & (
- 2005) The experience of the novice nurse: a human becoming perspective. Nursing Science Quarterly 18, 215–220. (
- 2009) The exploration of the lived experience of the graduate nurse making the transition to registered nurse during the first year of practice. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development 25, 28–34. & (
- 2005) Effectiveness of pre-licensure interprofessional education and post-licensure collaborative interventions. Journal of Interprofessional Care 19(Suppl. l), 148–165. , & (