Can I get a retweet please? Health research recruitment and the Twittersphere
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 70, Issue 3, pages 599–609, March 2014
How to Cite
2013) Can I get a retweet please? Health research recruitment and the Twittersphere. Journal of Advanced Nursing 70(3), 599–609. doi: 10.1111/jan.12222, , & (
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2013
- 2006) Just setting up my twttr. Retrieved from https://twitter.com/jack/status/20 on 23 January 2013. (
- European Travel Commission (ETC) New Media Trend Watch (2012) World Usage Patterns & Demographics. Retrieved from http://www.newmediatrendwatch.com/world-overview/34-worldusage-patterns-and-demographics?showall=1 on 25 September 2012.
- 2004) The Internet and Daily Life. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media//Files/Reports/2004/PIP_Internet_and_Daily_Life.pdf on 15 January 2013. (
- 1997) Sampling hard to reach populations. Journal of Advanced Nursing 26, 790–797. & (
- 2012) Who gives a tweet: assessing patients' interest in the use of social media for health care. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing 9(2), 100–108. & (
- 2011a) Accessing Health Topics on the Internet. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://www.pewresearch.org/pubs/1875/internet-health-topics-accessing-updated-data on 3 October 2012. (
- 2011b) The Social Life of Health Information. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/Social-Life-of-Health-Info.aspx on 13 December 2012. (
- 2012) Mobile Health 2012. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://media//Files/Reports/2012/PIP_MobileHealth2012 on 4 December 2012. & (
- 2012) Nurses' use of online health information in medical wards. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68(6), 1349–1358. , , , & (
- 2012) Knowledge of genetics and the role of the nurse in genetic health care: a survey of Italian nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing 69(5), 1125–1135. , & (
- 2011) Public Health Surveillance of Dental Pain via Twitter. Journal of Dental Research 90(9), 1047–1051. , , & (
- InSites Consulting (2012) Social Media around the World 2012. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/InSitesConsulting/social-media-around-the-world-2012-by-insites-consulting on 14 December 2012.
- Internet World Stats. Usage and Population Statistics (2012a) World Internet Usage Stats 3Q 2007. Retrieved from http://www.internetworldstats.com/blog1.htm on 14 December 2012.
- 2007) Why we twitter: understanding microblogging usage and communities. In Proceedings of the 9th WebKDD and 1st SNA-KDD 2007 workshop on Web mining and social network analysis, San Jose, CA. doi:10.1145/1348549.1348556 , , & (
- 2012) Costs and difficulties of recruiting patients to provide e-health support: pilot study in one primary care trust. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 12, 25. doi:10.1186/1472-6947-12-25. , , , & (
- 2007) The emerging Web 2.0 social software: an enabling suite of sociable technologies in health and health care education. Health Information and Libraries Journal 24, 2–23. & (
- 2005) Interaction in cyberspace: an online focus group. Journal of Advanced Nursing 49(4), 414–422. (
- 2011) How Secure Are Your Clinicians' Mobile Devices? Retrieved from http://www.informationweek.com/healthcare/mobile-wireless/how-secure-are-your-clinicians-mobile-de/231903089 on 15 January 2013. (
- 2011) 65% of online adults use social networking sites. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/~/media//Files/Reports/2011/PIP-SNS-Update-2011.pdf on 23 January 2013. & (
- 2011) Using Twitter in University research, teaching and Impact Activities. A guide for academics and researchers. Retrieved from http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/files/2011/11/Published-Twitter_Guide_Sept_2011.pdf on 14 December 2012. , & (
- NHS Direct (2013) The NHS Direct app for Android and iPhone. Retrieved from http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/About/MobileApps on 15 January 2013.
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) (2011) Internet Access – Households and Individuals. Retrieved from http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_227158.pdf on 14 December 2012.
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) (2012) Internet Access Quarterly Update, 2012 Q1. Retrieved from http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/rdit2/internet-access-quarterly-update/2012-q1/stb-internet-access-quarterly-update-2012-q1.html on 25 September 2012.
- Pew Internet (2012) Trend Data (Adults). Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://pewinternet.org/Trend-Data-(Adults)/Online-Activites-Total.aspx on 23 January 2013.
- 2012) Twitter=quitter? An analysis of Twitter quit smoking social networks. Tobacco Control 21, 447–449. , , & (
- 2009) Twitter as a tool for delivering improved quality of life for people with chronic conditions. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness 1, 245–252. (
- 2012) Six Year Old Twitter Now Has 140M Active Users Sending 340M Tweets per Day. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/21/six-year-old-twitter-now-has-140 m-active-users-sending-340 m-tweets-per-day on 15 August 2012. (
- 2010) Recruitment of hard-to-reach population subgroups via adaptations of the snowball sampling strategy. Nursing and Health Sciences 12, 369–374. , , & (
- 2010) Dissemination of health information through social networks: twitter and antibiotics. American Journal of Infection Control 38, 182–188. , & (
- 2012) Twitter Use 2012. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2012/Twitter-Use-2012.aspx on 15 August 2012. & (