Family caregiver challenges in dementia care in a country with undeveloped dementia services
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 70, Issue 6, pages 1369–1380, June 2014
How to Cite
2014) Family caregiver challenges in dementia care in a country with undeveloped dementia services. Journal of Advanced Nursing 70(6), 1369–1380. doi: 10.1111/jan.12299, , & (
- Issue online: 14 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2013
- Flinders/Central South University Collaborative Research Project. Grant Number: 01.601.37930
- Education Department of Hunan Province. Grant Number: CX2012B084
- Alzheimer's Disease Chinese (2012) Dementia:living together. Alzheimer's Disease Chinese, Beijing. Retrieved from http://www.adc.org.cn/html/news/mtbd_1454.shtml on 29 April 2013 (in Chinese).
- Alzheimer's Disease International (2009) World Alzheimer Report 2009. Alzheimer's Disease International, London.
- Alzheimer's Disease International (2012) World Alzheimer Report 2012. Alzheimer's Disease International, London.
- 2010) Criteria for the diagnosis of dementia. In Dementia (Ames D., Burns A. & O'Brien J., eds), Hodder Arnold, London, pp. 31–45. & (
- 2010) Dementia services in Australia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 25(9), 887–895. & (
- 2009) Family caregivers of people with dementia. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience 11(2), 217–228. & (
- 2003) Behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia: a seven-tiered model of service delivery. Medical Journal of Australia 178(5), 231–234. , & (
- 2006) Effectiveness of collaborative care for older adults with Alzheimer disease in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of the American Medical Association 295(18), 2148–2157. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Decisional conflict among Chinese family caregivers regarding nursing home placement of older adults with dementia. Journal of Aging Studies 25(4), 436–444. , & (
- 2011) Randomized controlled trial of a dementia care programme for families of home-resided older people with dementia. Journal of Advanced Nursing 67(4), 774–787. & (
- 1999) Burden experienced by caregivers of relatives with dementia in Taiwan. Nursing Research 48(4), 206–214. , & (
- CNCA (2012) The sixth census: empty nest family. China National Committee on Ageing (CNCA), Beijing. Retrieved from http://www.cncaprc.gov.cn/tongji/20755.jhtml on 10 January 2013 (in Chinese).
- 2011) The nature and scope of stressful spousal caregiving relationships. Journal of Family Nursing 17(2), 224–240. , , , & (
- 2008) The effectiveness of a home care program for supporting caregivers of persons with dementia in developing countries: a randomised controlled trial from Goa, India. PLoS ONE 3(6), e2333. , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) “Learning to become a family caregiver” efficacy of an intervention program for caregivers following diagnosis of dementia in a relative. The Gerontologist 51(4), 484–494. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Global prevalence of dementia: a Delphi consensus study. The Lancet 366(9503), 2112–2117. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2012) International perspectives on nonpharmacological best practices for dementia family caregivers: a review. Clinical Gerontologist 35(4), 316–355. , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Helping carers to care-the 10/66 dementia research group's randomized control trial of a caregiver intervention in Russia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 24(4), 347–354. , , , , & (
- 1984) The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration. Polity Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 2009) Positive thinking on dementia in primary care: Gnosall Memory Clinic. Community Practitioner: The Journal of the Community Practitioners' & Health Visitors' Association 82(5), 20–23. , , & (
- 2012) Caregiver burden associated with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) in Taiwanese elderly. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 55(1), 55–59. , , , & (
- 2012) Treatment outcomes of a crisis intervention program for dementia with severe psychiatric complications: the Kansas bridge project. The Gerontologist 53(1), 102–112. , , , , & (
- 2000) Rethinking critical theory and qualitative research. In Handbook of Qualitative Research (Denzin N.K. & Lincoln Y.S., eds), Sage Publications, London, UK, pp. 279–313. & (
- 2010) Enhancing dementia care: a primary care-based memory clinic. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 58(11), 2197–2204. , , , , , & (
- 1985) Naturalistic Inquiry. Sage Publications, Newbury Park, CA. & (
- 2009) Chronic disease prevalence and care among the elderly in urban and rural Beijing, China - a 10/66 Dementia Research Group cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 9(1), 394. , , , , , , , & (
- Ministry of Health (2012) Current situation on seniors health issue in China. Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China, Beijing. Retrieved from http://www.cncaprc.gov.cn/tongji/19409.jhtml on 1 February 2013 (in Chinese).
- Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security (2009) Medicine catalogue for the national basic medical insurance, work-related injury insurance and maternity insurance. Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of the People's Republic of China, Beijing. Retrieved from http://news.pharmnet.com.cn/news/2009/12/01/284566.html on 1 February 2013 (in Chinese).
- 2010) Assessment of burden in caregivers of Alzheimer's disease from India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 3(3), 112–116. , , & (
- 2012) Strain and its correlates among carers of people with dementia in low-income and middle-income countries. A 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based survey. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 27(7), 670–682. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2010) The contribution of chronic diseases to the prevalence of dependence among older people in Latin America, China and India: a 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based survey. BMC Geriatrics 10(1), 53–64. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- The 11th Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (2012) Law of the People's Republic of China on the protection of rights and interests of the aged. The Central Government of P. R. China, Beijing. Retrieved from http://www.gov.cn/flfg/2012-12/28/content_2305570.htm on 1 February 2013 (in Chinese).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2009) Improving Health Literacy for Older Adults. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- 2013) Do nurse-led skill training interventions affect informal caregivers' out-of-pocket expenditures? The Gerontologist 53(1), 60–70. , , , , & (
- 2011) The Danish Alzheimer intervention study: rationale, study design and baseline characteristics of the cohort. Neuroepidemiology 36(1), 52–61. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2012) An experimental study on the effectiveness of a mutual support group for family caregivers of a relative with dementia in mainland China. Contemporary Nurse 40(2), 210–224. , & (
- 2005) The Shanghai case: a qualitative evaluation of community health reform in response to the challenge of population ageing. The International Journal of Health Planning and Management 20(3), 269–286. , , & (
- 2012) Predictive factors for the objective burden of informal care in people with dementia: a systematic review. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders 26(3), 197–204. , , , , , & (
- World Bank (2009) From Poor Areas to Poor People: China's Evolving Poverty Reduction Agenda. An Assessment of Poverty and Inequality in China. World Bank, Beijing.
- World Health Organization (2008) Closing the Gap in a Generation: Health Equity through Action on the Social Determinants of Health. Final Report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2013a) Cross cultural comparison of attitudes and preferences for care of the elderly among Australian and Chinese nursing students. Journal of Transcultural Nursing 24(4), 408–416. , & (
- 2013b) Factors affecting the integration of immigrant nurses into the nursing workforce: A double hermeneutic study. International Journal of Nursing Studies. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.08.005 on 26 September 2013. , & (