Employers’ and employees’ views on responsibilities for career management in nursing: a cross-sectional survey
Article first published online: 3 JUL 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Journal of Advanced Nursing
Volume 71, Issue 1, pages 78–89, January 2015
How to Cite
2015) Employers’ and employees’ views on responsibilities for career management in nursing: a cross-sectional survey. Journal of Advanced Nursing 71(1), 78–89. doi: 10.1111/jan.12473(
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 3 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2014
- Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, King's College London
- 2012) Patient safety, satisfaction and quality of hospital care: cross sectional surveys of nurses and patients in 12 countries in Europe and the United States. British Medical Journal 344, e1717. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1996) The Boundaryless Career. Oxford University Press, New York. & (
- 2005) Career success in a boundaryless career world. Journal of Organisational Behavior 26, 177–202. , & (
- 2007) Evaluation of return to practice: the views of nurse returnees from three NHS Hospital Trusts. Journal of Nursing Management 15, 433–441. , , & (
- 2004) Transforming careers: from linear to multidirectional career paths: organizational and individual perspectives. Career Development International 9, 58–73. (
- 2012) Managerial coaching: a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68, 1658–1669. & (
- 2009) Research Methods in Health: Investigating Health and Health Services, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill/Open University Press, New York. (
- 2012) Predictors of actual turnover in a national sample of newly licensed registered nurses employed in hospitals. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68, 521–538. , , , & (
- 2013) Nurses’ turnover: reviewing the evidence, heeding the results? Journal of Advanced Nursing 69, 1917–1918. (
- 2013) The end of growth? Analyzing NHS nurse staffing. Journal of Advanced Nursing 69, 2123–2130. & (
- 2012) Staying in nursing: what factors determine whether nurses intend to remain employed? Journal of Advanced Nursing 68, 1589–1600. & (
- 1995) Managing Human Resources: Productivity, Quality of Life, Profits, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York. (
- 1998) Managing Human Resources: Productivity, Quality of Life, Profits, 5th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York. (
- 2008) The new covenant of employability. Employee Relations 30, 121–141. & (
- 1998) Human resources: Winning the war for talent. Harvard Business Review 76, 18–19. (
- 1960) A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement 20, 37–46. (
- 2003) Planning a career as a children's nurse: the availability of career guidance during the nurse diploma course. Journal of Child Health 7, 258–276. , & (
- 1951) Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 16, 297–334. (
- 2000) Did Project 2000 nurse training change recruitment patterns or career expectations? Nurse Education Today 20, 408–417. , , , & (
- Department of Health (2004) Agenda for Change: Final Agreement. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2006) Modernising Nursing Careers – Setting the Direction. Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2008) A High Quality Workforce. NHS Next Stage Review, Department of Health, London.
- Department of Health (2013) Agenda for Change: NHS Terms and Conditions of Service Handbook (amendment number 29). Department of Health, London.
- 2001a) Career planning and development for nurses: the time has come. International Nursing Review 48, 79–85. & (
- 2001b) Career Planning and Development – It's Your Career: Take Charge. International Council of Nurses, Geneva. & (
- European Commission (2012) Comission Staff Working Document on an Action Plan for the EU Health Workforce. European Commission, Brussels.
- European Federation of Nurses Associations (EFN) (2012) Caring in Crisis: The Impact of the Financial Crisis on Nursing and Nurses: A Comparative Overview of 34 Countries. EFN, Brussels.
- 2008) When caretaking competes with care giving: a qualitative study of full-time working mothers who are nurse managers. Journal of Nursing Management 16, 858–867. & (
- 2010) Nurses’ intention to leave the profession: integrative review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 66, 1422–1434. , & (
- 2002) Careers In and Out of Organizations. SAGE, Los Angeles, CA. (
- 2012) Nurse turnover: a literature review – An update. International Journal of Nursing Studies 49, 887–905. , , , , , , & (
- 2013) Nurses’ intention to leave their profession: a cross sectional observational study in 10 European countries. International Journal of Nursing Studies 50, 174–184. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) How to be successful career capitalist. Organizational Dynamics 30, 48–61. & (
- Institute of Medicine (2011) The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. The National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- 2007) The association of registered nurse staffing levels and patient outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. Medical Care 45, 1195–1204. , , , & (
- 2001) Career self-management: a framework for guidance of employed adults. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 29, 65–78. (
- 2004) Career Management: A Guide. CIPD, London. (
- 2005) The ‘bounded’ career: an empirical study of human capital, career mobility and employment outcomes in a mediated labor market. Human Relations 58, 981–1007. , & (
- 1998) Linking job security and career development in a new psychological contract. Human Resource Management Journal 8, 20–40. , & (
- 2013) Psychological contracts and commitment amongst nurses and nurse managers: a discourse analysis. International Journal of Nursing Studies 50, 954–967. & (
- 2005) Quality Work Environments for Nurse and Patient Safety. Jones and Bartlett Publications, Sudbury, MA. (ed.) (
- National Nursing Research Unit (2008) Career Planning in a Changing Landscape: Do Nurses Need Support? Policy Plus Issue 10, King's College London, London.
- 2011) Career Management in Nursing: An Examination of the Views of Employers and Employees. Unpublished doctoral thesis, King's College London, London. (
- Prime Ministers Commission on the future of nursing and midwifery in England (2010) Front Line Care. HMSO, London.
- 1998) Developing a career in the mental health services: guidance for student nurses. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 5, 79–87. & (
- 2005) Retaining the mental health nursing workforce: early indicators of retention and attrition. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 14, 230–242. , & (
- 2006) Highly qualified and highly ambitious: implications for workforce retention of realizing the career expectations of graduate nurses in England. Human Resource Management Journal 16, 287–312. , & (
- 2006) Management development in the NHS: nurses and managers, discourses and identities. Journal of European Industrial Training 30, 48–64. (
- 1996) Career self-management–can we live without it? European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 5, 583–593. (
- 2001) Don't leave me this way! A qualitative study of influences on the organisational commitment and turnover intentions of graduates early in their career. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling 29, 447–462. & (
- 2000) Who's in charge? Graduates’ attitudes to and experiences of career management and their relationship with organizational commitment. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 9, 351–371. , & (
- 2002) A longitudinal study of the relationship between career management and organizational commitment among graduates in the first ten years at work. Journal of Organizational Behavior 23, 731–748. , , & (
- 2014) How career orientation shapes the job satisfaction-turnover intention link. Journal of Organizational Behavior 35, 151–171. , & (
- 2002) Surveys in Social Research, 5th edn. Routledge, Oxon. (
- 2008) Strategic Career management: Developing Your Talent. Elsevier, Oxford. (