Associate Vice President for Health Promotion, University Chief Wellness Officer, Dean and Professor, College of Nursing, Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University
Outcomes and Feasibility of a Manualized Cognitive-Behavioral Skills Building Intervention: Group COPE for Depressed and Anxious Adolescents in School Settings
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 3–13, February 2014
How to Cite
Mazurek Melnyk, B., Kelly, S. and Lusk, P. (2014), Outcomes and Feasibility of a Manualized Cognitive-Behavioral Skills Building Intervention: Group COPE for Depressed and Anxious Adolescents in School Settings. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 27: 3–13. doi: 10.1111/jcap.12058
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Committee on School Health. (2004). School-based mental health services. Pediatrics, 113(6), 1839–1845.
- 2000). FRIENDS prevention of anxiety and depression for children group leader's manual. Bowen Hills, Australia: Australian Academic Press. , , & (
- 2005). The current state of cognitive therapy: A 40-year retrospective. Archives of General Psychiatry, 62, 953–959. (
- 2005). Beck youth inventories for children and adolescents: Manual (2nd ed.). San Antonio, TX: Harcourt Assessment. , , & (
- 2005). School based interventions for anxious children. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 44(11), 1118–1127. , , , & (
- 2011). The use and feasibility of a CBT intervention. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 16(3), 129–135. , , , & (
- 2010). Systematic review of school-based prevention and early intervention programs for depression. Journal of Adolescence, 33(3), 429–438. , & (
- 2001). Empirically supported psychological interventions: Controversies and evidence. Annual Review of Psychology, 52, 685–716. , & (
- 1999). Cognitive-behavioral treatment of adolescent depression: Efficacy of acute group treatment and booster sessions. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38(3), 272–280. , , , , & (
- 2010). Group cognitive-behavioral treatment for adolescent depression. In J. Weisz & A. Kazdin (Eds.), Evidence-based psychotherapies for children and adolescents (pp. 110–125). New York: Guilford Press. , & (
- 2004). Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for anxiety and depressive disorders in children and adolescents: An evidence-based medicine review. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43(8), 930–959. , , , , , & (
- 2011). Cognitive therapy for adolescents in school settings. New York: Guilford Press. , , & (
- Foy, J. (Ed.). (2010). Enhancing pediatric mental health care: Report from the American Academy of Pediatrics task force on mental health. Pediatrics, 125(Suppl. 3), s69–s160.
- 2008). Evidence-based psychosocial treatments for ethnic minority youth. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 37(1), 262–301. , & (
- Institute of Medicine. (2009). Preventing mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders among young people: Progress and possibilities. Retrieved from http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2009/Preventing-Mental-Emotional-and-Behavioral-Disorders-Among-Young-People-Progress-and-Possibilities.aspx
- 2007). Cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety disorders in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 12(4), 164–172. , , , & (
- 2002). Unmet need for mental health care among U.S. children: Variation by ethnicity and insurance status. American Journal of Psychiatry, 159(9), 1548–1555. , , & (
- 2006). Coping cat manual. Ardmore, PA: Workbook. (
- 2007). Cognitive-behavioral therapy for adolescent depression: A meta-analytic investigation of changes in effect-size estimates. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46(11), 1403–1413. , , & (
- 1990). Cognitive-behavioral treatment for depressed adolescents. Behavior Therapy, 21, 385–401. , , , & (
- 2011). The brief cognitive-behavioral cope intervention for depressed adolescents: Outcomes and feasibility of delivery in 30-minute outpatient visits. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 17, 226–236. , & (
- 2007). Effects of psychotherapy for depression in children and adolescents: What we can (and can't) learn from meta-analysis and component profiling. Journal of the Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46, 879–886. , & (
- 1990). COPE (Creating Opportunities for Personal Empowerment) cognitive behavioral skills building program—7 sessions. (
- 2013). Promoting healthy lifestyles in high school adolescents. A randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 45(4), 407–415. , , , , , , … (
- 2009). Improving the mental health, healthy lifestyle choices, and physical health of Hispanic adolescents: A randomized controlled pilot study. Journal of School Health, 79(12), 575–584. , , , , , & (
- Improving physical activity, mental health outcomes, and academic retention of college students with freshman 5 to thrive: COPE/Healthy Lifestyles. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. , , , , & (in press).
- 2013). The COPE Healthy Lifestyles TEEN randomized controlled trial with culturally diverse high school adolescents: Baseline characteristics and methods. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 36(1), 41–53. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2013.05.013. , , , , , , … (
- 2012). Designing, conducting, analyzing, and funding intervention research. New York: Springer, LLC. , & (
- 2007). The COPE Healthy Lifestyles TEEN program: Feasibility, preliminary efficacy, & lessons learned from an after school group intervention with overweight adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 21(5), 315–322. , , , , , , & (
- 2010). Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in U.S. adolescents: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication—adolescent supplement (ncs-a). Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 49, 980–989. , , , , , , … (
- National Research Council & Institute of Medicine. (2009). Adolescent health services: Missing opportunities. Washington, DC: National Academy of Science Press.
- 2008). Adolescents. In M. Whisman (Ed.), Adapting cognitive therapy for depression (pp. 394–416). New York: Guilford Press. , & (
- 2001). Effectiveness, transportability, and dissemination of interventions: What matters when? Psychiatric Services, 52(9), 1190–1197. , & (
- 2005). Dimensionality of the Beck youth inventories with child psychiatric outpatients. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 27(2), 123–131. , , , & (
- 1998). Use of the Beck Depression Inventory-II with adolescent psychiatric outpatients. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 20(2), 127–137. , , , & (
- 2012). Depression in adolescence. Lancet, 379(9820), 1056–1067. , , , & (
- 2011). Stepped care cognitive behavioral therapy for children with anxiety disorders: A new treatment approach. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 39(1), 55–75. , & (
- 2007). Psychotherapy for depression among children and adolescents: A systematic review. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 116, 84–95. , , , , & (
- 2009). Core components of therapy in youth: Do we know what to disseminate? Behavior Modification, 33, 24–47. , , & (
- 2006). Evidence-based youth psychotherapies versus usual clinical care. The American Psychologist, 61(7), 671–689. , , & (
- Weisz, J. , & Kazdin, A. (Eds.). (2010). Evidence-based psychotherapies for children and adolescents (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
- 2006). Effects of psychotherapy for depression in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 132(1), 132–149. , , & (
- Whisman, M. P. (Ed.). (2008). Adapting cognitive therapy for depression: Managing complexity and comorbidity. New York: Guilford Press.
- 2009). Screening for child and adolescent depression in primary care settings: A systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Pediatrics, 123(4), 716–734. , , , & (
- 2006). What teens want: Barriers to seeking care for depression. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 33(2), 133–145. , , & (
- Yearwood, E. , Pearson, G. , & Newland, J. (Eds.). (2012). Child and adolescent behavioral health. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.