Hypertension in Haiti: The Challenge of Best Possible Practice
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2014
©2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 107–114, February 2014
How to Cite
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2014: 107–114. DOI: 10.1111/jch.12242. ©2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUL 2013
- 4Heart disease and stroke statistics-2012 upate: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2012;12:e2–e220., , , et al.
- 11Hypertension in rural Haitians: its relationship to weight. World Health Popul. 2006;8:81..
- 12U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Minority Health. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=3018. Accessed December 1, 2013.
- 20Office of the Assistant Director, Health Surveillance and Disease Management, Health Analysis and Statistics, Health situation in the Americas: basic indicators. 2007. Pan American Health Organization.
- 23Race-based therapy for hypertension: possible benefits and potential pitfalls. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2008;10:1357–1366., .
- 24Biohistory of slavery and blood pressure differences in blacks today. A hypothesis. Hypertension. 1991;17(suppl 1):122–128., .
- 31Sodium and potassium in the pathogenesis of hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2010;365:1966–1978., .
- 41Third World Folk Beliefs and Practices: Haitian Medical Anthropology. Lawrence, KS: Institute of Haitian Studies, University of Kansas; 2007..
- 42PAHO Preventing Cardiovascular Disease in the Americas by Reducing Dietary Salt Intake Population-Wide Policy Statement. http://new.paho.org/hq/dmdocuments/2010/red-salt-policy-statement-eng.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2013.
- 43Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP) Institute of Health Economics (IHE) Micronutrient Initiative (MI) United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). Survey of the Prevalence of Vitamin A and Iodine Deficiency in Haiti, 2005.
- 44Micronutrient Initiative (MI) Haiti, Country Profile. http://www.micronutrient.org/English/view.asp?x=600. Accessed December 1, 2013.
- 45Short report: documentation of iodine deficiency in Haitian schoolchildren: implication for lymphatic filariasis elimination in Haiti. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;64:56–57..
- 46The World Bank. Promoting nutritional security in Haiti: an assessment of pre- and post-earthquake conditions and recommendations for the way forward. 2010. International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/the World Bank.
- 47Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). The State of Food Insecurity in the World. Rome: FAO; 2008.
- 48Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Countries: Haiti. 2010. http://www.fao.org/countries/55528/en/hti/. 2010. Accessed December 1, 2013.
- 49Food insecurity and livelihood systems in Northwest Haiti. J Pol Ecol. 2002;9:1–34..
- 55Disparities in the availability of fruits and vegetables between racially segregated urban neighborhoods. Public Health Nutr. 2007;10:1481–1489., .
- 63Health, Healing, and Social Justice. Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press; 2005:139–159..
- 64Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care, Board on Health Sciences Policy. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2002., , ;
- 75The Water Poverty Index: An International Comparison. Keele, Straffordshire, UK: Department of Economics, Keele University., , .
- 78Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press; 2006., .
- 80American College of Physicians Foundation, Institute of Medicine. Practical Solutions to the Problems of Low Health Literacy. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2005.
- 81National Quality Forum. Improving Patient Safety through Informed Consent for Patients with Limited Health Literacy. Washington, DC: NQF; 2005.
- 82The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. New York, NY: Currency Doubleday; 1990..
- 83Assessment of National Capacity for Non-Communicable Disease Prevention and Control. The Report of a Global Survey 2001. WHO/MNC/01.2. Geneva: WHO; 2001., , .