Evidence that the population of quiescent bone marrow-residing very small embryonic/epiblast-like stem cells (VSELs) expands in response to neurotoxic treatment
Article first published online: 4 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd and Foundation for Cellular and Molecular Medicine.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1797–1806, September 2014
How to Cite
Grymula, K., Tarnowski, M., Piotrowska, K., Suszynska, M., Mierzejewska, K., Borkowska, S., Fiedorowicz, K., Kucia, M. and Ratajczak, M. Z. (2014), Evidence that the population of quiescent bone marrow-residing very small embryonic/epiblast-like stem cells (VSELs) expands in response to neurotoxic treatment. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 18: 1797–1806. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.12315
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 4 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2014
- Innovative Economy Operational Program. Grant Number: POIG.01.01.02-00-109/09
- NIH. Grant Numbers: 2R01 DK074720, R01HL112788
- 3Biological restoration of central nervous system architecture and function: part 3-stem cell- and cell-based applications and realities in the biological management of central nervous system disorders: traumatic, vascular, and epilepsy disorders. Neurosurgery. 2009; 65: 831–59., , , et al.
- 25Intermittent hypoxia mobilizes bone marrow-derived very small embryonic-like stem cells and activates developmental transcriptional programs in mice. Sleep. 2010; 33: 1439–46., , , et al.
- 27Growing neural stem cells from conventional and nonconventional regions of the adult rodent brain. J Vis Exp. 2013; e50880: doi:10.3791/50880., .
- 29Intravenous transplants of human adipose-derived stem cell protect the brain from traumatic brain injury-induced neurodegeneration and motor and cognitive impairments: cell graft biodistribution and soluble factors in young and aged rats. J Neurosci. 2014; 34: 313–26., , , et al.
- 40The blood-brain barrier: an engineering perspective. Front Neuroeng. 2013; 6: 7–14., , , et al.