A consensus report on appropriate treatment optimization and transitioning in the management of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology © 2013 European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Volume 28, Issue 4, pages 438–453, April 2014
How to Cite
Mrowietz, U., de Jong, E.M.G.J., Kragballe, K., Langley, R., Nast, A., Puig, L., Reich, K., Schmitt, J. and Warren, R.B. (2014), A consensus report on appropriate treatment optimization and transitioning in the management of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 28: 438–453. doi: 10.1111/jdv.12118
- Conflict of interest
- Conflict of interest
- UM has been a consultant and/or speaker and/or participant in clinical trials and/or received grants from the following companies that manufacture drugs for the treatment of psoriasis including Abbott, Almirall-Hermal, BiogenIdec, Celgene, Centocor, Forward Pharma, Janssen, Leo Pharma, Medac, MSD Sharp & Dohme, Novartis, Pfizer. EdeJ has acted as consultant and/or paid speaker and/or participated in research sponsored by companies that manufacture drugs used for the treatment of psoriasis including Abbott, Janssen-Cilag, MSD and Pfizer. KK has declared no conflicts of interest. RL has served as a scientific advisory board advisor (SAB), investigator (I) or speaker (Sp) for Abbott (SAB, I, Sp), Amgen (SAB, I, Sp), Centocor (SAB, I), Pfizer (SAB, I) and Celgene (SAB, I). AN has received honoraria for CME certified educational talks that received indirect sponsorship from Abbott and Janssen-Cilag; the deBM (his employer) has received research grants from Wyeth (now Pfizer). LP has served as consultant and/or paid speaker for and/or participated in clinical trials sponsored by companies that manufacture drugs used for the treatment of psoriasis including Abbott, Celgene, Centocor, Janssen-Cilag, Leo, Merck, MSD (formerly Schering-Plough), Novartis, Pfizer (formerly Wyeth). KR has received honoraria as a consultant and/or advisory board member and/or acted as a paid speaker and/or participated in clinical trials sponsored by Abbott, Amgen, Biogen-Idec, Centocor, MSD (formerlyEssex Pharma, Schering Plough), UCB, Janseen-Cilag, Celgene, Pfizer (formerly Wyeth), Novartis, LEO Pharma, Basilea, Forward Pharma, Medac and Ocean Pharma. JS has acted as a paid speaker for Novartis and Abbott, and received research grants from Pfizer (formerly Wyeth) and from Novartis. RBW has acted a consultant and/or speaker for Abbott, Pfizer, Janssen, Leo and Schering Plough (now MSD).
- Funding sources
- Funding sources
- This study was funded through an educational grant to the Psoriasis-Center, Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein, Campus Kiel, Germany, from Abbott.
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 OCT 2012
- 8NICE. Donor breast milk banks: the operation of donor breast milk bank services. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. [www document] URL http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG93. (last accessed: 6 August 2011).
- 9NICE. Feverish illness in children: assessment and initial management in children younger than 5 years. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. [www document] URL http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG47. (last accessed: 6 August 2011).
- 10Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM. Churchill-Livingstone, London (UK), 1997., , , , et al.
- 26Oral cyclosporin in psoriasis: a systematic review on treatment modalities, risk of kidney toxicity and evidence for use in non plaque psoriasis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2011; 25(Suppl. 2): 19–27., , et al.
- 30Impact of adalimumab treatment on health-related quality of life and other patient-reported outcomes: results from a 16-week randomized controlled trial in patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. Br J Dermatol 2008; 158: 549–557., , et al.
- 33Efficacy and safety of infliximab vs. methotrexate in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: results of an open-label, active-controlled, randomized trial (RESTORE1). Br J Dermatol 2011; 165: 1109–1117., , et al.
- 35MC-MTX.6 ⁄ RH Study Group et al. Comparison of the clinical efficacy and safety of subcutaneous versus oral administration of methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: results of a six-month, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled, phase IV trial. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58: 73–81., , ,
- 43Efficacy and safety of adding methotrexate to etanercept versus etanercept monotherapy in adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. Abstract PO1085, EADV meeting, Lisbon, October 2011., , et al.
- 45Infliximab in combination with low-dose methotrexate for the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2009; 60: AB170., , , .
- 61Response to retreatment with ustekinumab after withdrawal from therapy in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis: results from the PHOENIX 1 and ACCEPT phase 3 clinical trials. Abstract P-55. Br J Dermatol 2011; 165(Suppl. 1): 43., , et al.
- 68Etanercept in patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis: A retrospective case cohort analysis. Br J Dermatol 2009; 161: 26–27., , , .
- 83Combination regimen of acitretin and adalimumab for moderate to severe psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 62: AB132..
- 85Sequential treatment of psoriasis with infliximab followed by cyclosporin: preliminary results of an open-label prospective study. Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 2006; 141: 221–225., , et al.
- 87Ustekinumab is well-tolerated & effective in patients with psoriasis inadequately responsive to methotrexate: Week 12 results from the TRANSIT study. Abstract PO1121, EADV meeting, Lisbon, 20–24 October 2011., , , et al.
- 88Ustekinumab improves quality of life outcomes in psoriasis patients transitioned from methotrexate regardless of transition strategy: Week 16 results from the TRANSIT study. Abstract PO1123, EADV meeting, Lisbon, 20–24 October 2011, , et al.