The science of dermocosmetics and its role in dermatology
Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Volume 28, Issue 11, pages 1409–1417, November 2014
How to Cite
Dreno, B., Araviiskaia, E., Berardesca, E., Bieber, T., Hawk, J., Sanchez-Viera, M. and Wolkenstein, P. (2014), The science of dermocosmetics and its role in dermatology. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 28: 1409–1417. doi: 10.1111/jdv.12497
- Conflicts of interest
- Conflicts of interest
- E. Araviiskaia served as a speaker for L'Oreal, La Roche Posay, Vichi, Bioderma, Pierre Fabre, Uriage, Galderma, Glenmark, Merck Sharp and Dohme, Bayer Health Care, Merrz and Stiefel/Glaxo Smith Kline and as a Global Alliance Acne Treatment member, Brimonidine International Global Advisory Board member for Galderma. T. Bieber is advisory panel for L'Oréal. P. Wolkenstein is consultant for L'oreal concerning cosmetic sciences. All the other authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Funding sources
- Funding sources
- Editorial support was provided by Medicus International (London, UK) and funded by L'Oreal.
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2014
- Medicus International
- 3Proxim. What is the dermocosmetic approach? [WWW document] URL http://www.groupeproxim.ca/en/beauty/dermocosmetics/definition.sn (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 7ISO. European Standardisation Organisation: EN ISO 24444:2010. Cosmetics, Sun protection test methods – In vivo Determination of Sun Protection Factor (SPF). [WWW document] 2010. URL http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=46523 (last accessed: 14 January 2014)
- 11Cosmetics Europe. Guidelines on the Product Information File (PIF) requirement. [WWW document] 2011. URL https://www.cosmeticseurope.eu/publications-cosmetics-europe-association/guidelines.html?view=item&id=85 (last accessed: 14 January 2014)
- 15OECD. Guideline for the testing of chemicals, draft proposal for a new guideline: in vitro skin irritation: human skin model test. [WWW document] 2008. URL http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oecd.org%2Fdataoecd%2F21%2F56%2F40793105.doc&ei=LvXTUpiHKceBhAf9lIDoDg&usg=AFQjCNGl7qZLcTlSKbXBk6u5mjiIzHJUPw&sig2=hMa5LXBQFlcEe5PfY4B_0A (last accessed: 19 March 2014)
- 22Cosmetics Europe. Guidelines on stability testing of cosmetic products. [WWW document] 2004. URL https://www.cosmeticseurope.eu/publications-cosmetics-europe-association/guidelines.html?view=item&id=20 (last accessed: 31 January 2013).
- 24Cosmetics Europe. Guidelines for percutaneous absorption/penetration. [WWW document] 1997. URL https://www.cosmeticseurope.eu/publications-cosmetics-europe-association/guidelines.html?view=item&id=26 (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 29Cosmetics Directive. Post-Market Surveillance[WWW document]. URL https://www.cosmeticseurope.eu/safety-and-science-cosmetics-europe/safety-in-cosmetics/post-market-surveillance-.html (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 32Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS). Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers. SCCNFP/0392/00. [WWW document] 2001. URL http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_036.pdf (last accessed: 14 January 2014)
- 34REACH Programme: Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemical substances. [WWW document] 2007. URL http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/chemicals/reach/index_en.htm (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 35Cosmetics Europe. Colipa Guidelines on the Management and reporting of Undesirable Event Reports in the context of EU Cosmetovigilance. [WWW document] 2008. URL http://www.likochema.lt/docs/naujienos/COSVIG_Guidelines_updated.pdf (last accessed: 14 January 2014)
- 36Med'Com (Editions) Skin Aging Atlas, Vol 2, Asian Type, Paris, France, 2010: 32–95.and . In
- 42A randomized, controlled comparative study of the wrinkle reduction benefits of a cosmetic niacinamide/peptide/retinyl propionate product regimen vs. a prescription 0.02% tretinoin product regimen. Br J Dermatol 2010; 162: 647–654., , et al.
- 43CONSORT. Welcome to the CONSORT Statement Website. [WWW document] 2010. URL http://www.consort-statement.org/ (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 44ICH. International conference on harmonisation of technical requirements for registration of pharmaceuticals for human use. Guideline for good clinical practice E6(R1). [WWW document] 1996. URL http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Efficacy/E6_R1/Step4/E6_R1__Guideline.pdf. (last accessed: 14 January 2014)
- 47Topical preparations for preventing stretch marks in pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;11:CD000066., , .
- 48Cosmetics Europe. Responsible Advertising [WWW document]. URL https://www.cosmeticseurope.eu/responsible-industry-the-european-cosmetic-cosmetics-association/responsible-advertising.html (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 49European Commission. Cosmetic products. [WWW document] 2009. URL http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/european-standards/harmonised-standards/cosmetic-products/index_en.htm (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 50European Commission, Consumers. [WWW document] 2013. URL http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/marketsurveillance/index_en.htm (last accessed: 15 October 2013).
- 59Skin toxicity evaluation protocol with panitumumab (STEPP), a phase II, open-label, randomized trial evaluating the impact of a pre-Emptive Skin treatment regimen on skin toxicities and quality of life in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 1351–1357., , et al.
- 86Skin elasticity as a measure of radiation fibrosis: is it reproducible and does it correlate with patient and physician-reported measures? Technol Cancer Res Treat 2013; [Epub ahead of print]., , , , , .
- 93Evaluation of the atrophogenic potential of hydrocortisone 1% cream and pimecrolimus 1% cream in uninvolved forehead skin of patients with atopic dermatitis using optical coherence tomography. Exp Dermatol 2011; 20: 832–836., , , , , .
- 99Factors associated with impaired quality of life in adult patients suffering from Ichthyosis. Acta Derm Venereol 2013; doi:10.2340/00015555-1710. [Epub ahead of print]., , et al.