This work has been presented as a poster at European Academy of Venereology and Dermatology Annual Meeting, October 2013.
Physician perceptions and experience of current treatment in actinic keratosis
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2014
© 2014 Leo Pharmaceutical. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. on behalf of European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Volume 29, Issue 2, pages 298–306, February 2015
How to Cite
Stockfleth, E., Peris, K., Guillen, C., Cerio, R., Basset-Seguin, N., Foley, P., Sanches, J., Culshaw, A., Erntoft, S. and Lebwohl, M. (2015), Physician perceptions and experience of current treatment in actinic keratosis. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 29: 298–306. doi: 10.1111/jdv.12530
- Conflicts of interest
- Conflicts of interest
- E Stockfleth – Speaker, Consultant, Advisory Board; Grants, Honoraria Meda, Leo Pharma and Almirall K Peris – Advisory Board; Honoraria (Leo Pharma, Roche, Meda). C Guillen – Advisory Board; Honoraria (Leo Pharma, Meda, Galderma, Almirall). R Cerio Speaker; Honoraria (Leo Pharma, Janssen, MSD/Pfizer). N Basset-Seguin – Consultant; Honoraria (Leo Pharma). P Foley – Advisory Board, Investigator, Speaker; Grants, Honoraria (Abbvie, Janssen, MSD, Pfizer) Advisory Board, Investigator; Honoraria (Amgen). Advisory Board, Consultant, Investigator, Speaker; Honoraria (Novartis). Consultant, Investigator, Speaker; Honoraria (Eli Lilly). Investigator; Honoraria (Celgene, BMS). Investigator, Consultant: Honoraria (Roche). Advisory Board, Investigator, Speaker; Honoraria (CSL, GSK). Advisory Board, Consultant, Speaker; Honoraria (Galderma). Advisory Board, Consultant, Investigator, Speaker; Honoraria (Leo Pharma). J Sanches – Advisory Board; Honoraria (Leo Pharma). A Culshaw – Consultant, Other (Leo Pharma). S Erntoft – Employee, Salary (Leo Pharma). M Lebwohl – Consultant; Honoraria (Leo Pharma, Valeant) Investigator; Grants (Leo Pharma).
- Funding sources
- Funding sources
- Editorial support was provided by Adelphi Values UK and funded by Leo Pharma.
The copyright line in this article was changed on 22 January 2015 after online publication.
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 26 NOV 2013
- Leo Pharma
Topical therapy is important in the treatment of actinic keratosis (AK), a major risk factor for, and early development stage of, squamous cell carcinoma. Despite this, research addressing the limitations and challenges associated with topical field therapy in actinic keratosis is lacking.
The aim of this study was to highlight the challenges associated with maximizing compliance in patients receiving topical AK therapy and to investigate real-world experience with currently available topical therapies including perceptions of adherence and persistence.
A 45-min online survey was developed and completed by physicians in eight countries. All had previously prescribed topical AK therapy and ≥1 other treatment. Physicians' consensus was summarized as overall agreement/disagreement from ≥70% of respondents (≥60% for case-specific questions).
More than 70% of the 427 respondents agreed that topical field therapy is essential and had concerns that lengthy treatments and local skin reactions caused non-adherence/persistence. More than 90% of physicians would preferentially prescribe the shortest duration treatment to such patients.
The research clarifies the challenges associated with prescribing topical AK therapy and highlights that short treatment duration and rapid clearance of skin reactions are key considerations for physicians. This provides a basis for the generation of recommendations for improving the real-world efficacy of topical therapy.