Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.p3q6c
Proteomic evidence of a paedomorphic evolutionary process within a marine snail species: a strategy for adapting to extreme ecological conditions?
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 12, pages 2569–2581, December 2012
How to Cite
Diz, A. P., Páez de la Cadena, M. and Rolán-Alvarez, E. (2012), Proteomic evidence of a paedomorphic evolutionary process within a marine snail species: a strategy for adapting to extreme ecological conditions?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 2569–2581. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12001
- Issue online: 16 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUL 2012
- Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MCI). Grant Numbers: CGL2008-00135/BOS, BFU2011-22599
- Fondos Feder and Xunta de Galicia
- INCITE09 310 006 PR and ‘Grupos de Referencia Competitiva’. Grant Numbers: 2010/80, CN 2011/024
- 2005. Proteomic analysis of the Gallus gallus embryo at stage-29 of development. Proteomics 5: 4946–4957. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Morphology and behaviour: functional links in development and evolution. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 366: 2056–2068.
- 2011. The coupling hypothesis: why genome scans may fail to map local adaptation genes. Mol. Ecol. 20: 2044–2072. , , , &
- 1988. Re-evaluation of the “glycolytic complex” in muscle: a multitechnique approach using trout white muscle. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 267: 13–22. &
- 2010. Snake venomics of the Central American rattlesnake Crotalus simus and the South American Crotalus durissus complex points to neurotoxicity as an adaptive paedomorphic trend along Crotalus dispersal in South America. J. Proteome Res. 9: 528–544. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Snake population venomics and antivenomics of Bothrops atrox: paedomorphism along its transamazonian dispersal and implications of geographic venom variability on snakebite management. J. Proteomics 74: 510–527. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Assessing significance in high-throughput experiments by sequential goodness of fit and q-value estimation. PLoS ONE 6: e24700. &
- 2009. A new multitest correction (SGoF) that increases its statistical power when increasing the number of tests. BMC Bioinformatics 10: 209. , &
- 2007. Genetic variation for shell traits in a direct-developing marine snail involved in a putative sympatric ecological speciation process. Evol. Ecol. 21: 635–650. , , , &
- 2008a. The relationship between hatching rate and number of embryos of the brood pouch in Littorina saxatilis. J. Sea Res. 60: 223–225. , , &
- 2008b. Revealing the mechanisms of sexual isolation in a case of sympatric and parallel ecological divergence. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94: 513–526. , , &
- 2009. Relative role of genetic determination and plastic response during ontogeny for shell-shape traits subjected to diversifying selection. Evolution 63: 1356–1363. , &
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. &
- 2005. Evolutionary ecology of facultative paedomorphosis in newts and salamanders. Biol. Rev. 80: 663–671. , &
- 2009. Sexual size dimorphism in the evolutionary context of facultative paedomorphosis: insights from European newts. BMC Evol. Biol. 9: 278. , , &
- 2007. Evolution of 2-DE protein patterns in a mussel hybrid zone. Proteomics 7: 2111–2120. &
- 2009a. The consequences of samples pooling in proteomics: an empirical study. Electrophoresis 17: 2967–2975. , &
- 2009b. Genetic variation underlying protein expression in eggs of the marine mussel Mytilus edulis. Mol. Cell. Proteomics 8: 132–144. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Multiple hypothesis testing in proteomics: a strategy for experimental work. Mol. Cell. Proteomics 10: M110.004374. , &
- 2012. Proteomics in evolutionary ecology: linking the genotype with the phenotype. Mol. Ecol. 21: 1060–1080. , &
- 2008. Paedomorphosis in Ambystoma talpoideum: effects of initial body size variation and density. Oecologia 156: 87–94. &
- 2001. Evolution and physiological roles of phosphagen systems. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 63: 289–325.
- 2009. Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA.
- 2009. Comparing genetic differentiation between candidate and noncandidate loci for adaptation strengthens support for parallel ecological divergence in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. Mol. Ecol. 18: 919–930. , &
- 2008. Rhythms of gene expression in a fluctuating intertidal environment. Curr. Biol. 18: 1501–1507. , , , , &
- 2008. Transcriptome and proteome analysis of early embryonic mouse brain development. Proteomics 8: 1257–1265. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. PopTools version 3.0.6. URL http://www.cse.csiro.au/poptools.
- 2006. Interpreting the protein language using proteomics. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 7: 391–403.
- 2010. Repeated evolution of reproductive isolation in a marine snail: unveiling mechanisms of speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 365: 1735–1747. , , , , &
- 2011. Intron sequences of arginine kinase in an intertidal snail suggest an ecotype-specific selective sweep and a gene duplication. Heredity 106: 808–816. , , &
- 2005. On the utility of pooling biological samples in microarray experiments. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 4252–4257. , , , &
- 2004. A neutral model of transcriptome evolution. PLoS Biol. 2: o684. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The glycolytic enzyme aldolase mediates assembly, expression, and activity of vacuolar H-ATPase. J. Biol. Chem. 279: 8732–8739. , , &
- 2008. Proteomic comparison between two marine snail ecotypes reveals details about the biochemistry of adaptation. J. Proteome Res. 7: 4926–4934. , , , &
- 2010. The role of phenotypic plasticity on the proteome differences between two sympatric marine snail ecotypes adapted to distinct micro-habitats. BMC Evol. Biol. 10: 65. , &
- 2006. Maternal housekeeping proteins translated during bovine oocyte maturation and early embryo development. Proteomics 6: 3811–3820. , , &
- 2006. Protein stains for proteomic applications: which, when, why?. Proteomics 6: 5385–5408. , &
- 2012. On the evolutionary developmental biology of speciation. Evol. Biol. 39: 242–254. &
- 2010. Ecological adaptation of diverse honey bee (Apis mellifera) populations. PLoS ONE 5: e11096. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Cautionary note on reporting eta-squared values from multifactor ANOVA designs. Educ. Psychol. Meas. 64: 916–924. , &
- 2010. Two-dimensional gel electrophoresis in proteomics: past, present and future. J. Proteomics, 73: 2064–2077. , , &
- 1985. Quantitation of microgram amounts of protein in two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis sample buffer. Electrophoresis 6: 559–563. &
- 2007. Sympatric speciation as a by-product of ecological adaptation in the Galicia Littorina saxatilis hybrid zone. J. Mollus. Stud. 73: 1–10.
- 2004. Nonallopatric and parallel origin of local reproductive barriers between two snail ecotypes. Mol. Ecol. 13: 3415–3424. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8: 336–352. &
- 2011. A framework for comparing processes of speciation in the presence of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 20: 5123–5140. &
- 2011. Lack of intrinsic postzygotic reproductive isolation between two ecotypes of Littorina saxatilis showing premating sexual isolation. Hydrobiologia 675: 13–18. , , , &
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 9955–9962. &
- 1996. Mass spectrometric sequencing of proteins from silver stained polyacrylamide gels. Anal. Chem. 68: 850–858. , , &
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research, 3rd edn. W.H. Freeman, New York, NY. &
- 2010. Adaptation genomics: the next generation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25: 705–712. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The abc's (and xyz's) of peptide sequencing. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 5: 699–711. &
- 2003. The positive false discovery rate: a Bayesian interpretation and the q-value. Ann. Stat. 31: 2013–2035.
- 2010. Protein expression during the embryonic development of a gastropod. Proteomics 10: 2701–2711. , , , &
- 2009. 2D Gel-based proteome and phosphoproteome analysis during larval metamorphosis in two major marine biofouling invertebrates. J. Proteome Res. 8: 2708–2719. , &
- 2008. Digit reduction, body size, and paedomorphosis in salamanders. Evol. Dev. 10: 449–463. &