Crossing the threshold: gene flow, dominance and the critical level of standing genetic variation required for adaptation to novel environments
Article first published online: 5 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 12, pages 2665–2671, December 2012
How to Cite
Nuismer, S. L., MacPherson, A. and Rosenblum, E. B. (2012), Crossing the threshold: gene flow, dominance and the critical level of standing genetic variation required for adaptation to novel environments. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 2665–2671. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12002
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- 2003. Allele substitution at a flower colour locus produces a pollinator shift in monkeyflowers. Nature 426: 176–178. &
- 2009. Polymorphic butterfly reveals the missing link in ecological speciation. Science 326: 847–850. , , , &
- 2010. Adaptive evolution of pelvic reduction in sticklebacks by recurrent deletion of a Pitx1 enhancer. Science 327: 302–305. , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Evolutionary rates in partially self-fertilizing species. Am. Nat. 140: 126–148.
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307: 1928–1933. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Genetics, adaptation, and invasion in harsh environments. Evol. Appl. 3: 97–108. , , &
- 1924. A mathematical theory of natural and artificial selection Part I. Trans. Camb. Philos. Soc. 23: 19–41.
- 1930. A mathematical theory of natural and artificial selection. Proc. Cambridge Phil. Soc. 26: 220–230.
- 2007. White Sands Dune Field, New Mexico: age, dune dynamics and recent accumulations. Sed. Geol. 197: 313–331. , , , , &
- 1983. The response to selection on major and minor mutations affecting a metrical trait. Heredity 50: 47–65.
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 1975. Conditions for the existence of clines. Genetics 80: 595–615.
- 1977. Selection in One and Two-Locus Systems: Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, v. 15. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. .
- 2010. The population genetics of beneficial mutations. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 365: 1195–1201.
- 2001. Haldane's sieve and adaptation from the standing genetic variation. Genetics 157: 875–884. &
- 2008. Population extinction and the genetics of adaptation. Am. Nat. 172: 160–169. &
- 2010. Divergence with gene flow: models and data. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41: 215–230. &
- 2006. Convergent evolution and divergent selection: Lizards at the White Sands ecotone. Am. Nat. 167: 1–15.
- 2011. “Same same but different”: replicated ecological speciation at White Sands. Evolution 65: 946–960. &
- 2010. Molecular and functional basis of phenotypic convergence in white lizards at White Sands. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 107: 2113–2117. , , &
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75: 733–756.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural-populations. Science 236: 787–792.
- 2011. A framework for comparing processes of speciation in the presence of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 20: 5123–5140. &
- 1981. Adaptation and evolution in heliconius – a defense of Neodarwinism. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 12: 99–121.