Occurrence, costs and heritability of delayed selfing in a free-living flatworm
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 12, pages 2559–2568, December 2012
How to Cite
Ramm, S. A., Vizoso, D. B. and Schärer, L. (2012), Occurrence, costs and heritability of delayed selfing in a free-living flatworm. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 2559–2568. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12012
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 24 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2012
- 2007. Precopulatory stabbing, hypodermic injections and unilateral copulations in a hermaphroditic sea slug. Biol. Lett. 3: 121–124. &
- 1955. Self-compatibility and establishment after “long-distance” dispersal. Evolution 9: 347–349.
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 237–268. &
- 2009. The genetics of inbreeding depression. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10: 783–796. &
- 1994. Genetic variation for selfing rate and the dependence of selfing rate on mating history in Brassica napus (rape seed). Heredity 72: 570–573. &
- 1876. The Effects of Cross and Self-Fertilisation in the Vegetable Kingdom. John Murray, London.
- 2011. Best of both worlds? Association between outcrossing and parasite loads in a selfing fish. Evolution 65: 3021–3026. , &
- 2007. No correlation between inbreeding depression and delayed selfing in the freshwater snail Physa acuta. Evolution 61: 2655–2670. , , &
- 2009. Correlated evolution of mating strategy and inbreeding depression within and among populations of the hermaphroditic snail Physa acuta. Evolution 63: 2790–2804. , , , &
- 2011. Patterns of mating system-system evolution in hermaphroditic animals: correlations among selfing rate, inbreeding depression, and the timing of reproduction. Evolution 65: 1233–1253. , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Harlow. &
- 1939. A monograph of the genus Macrostomum O. Schmidt 1848. Part II. Zool. Anz. 127: 131–144.
- 1941. Average excess and average effect of a gene substitution. Ann. Eugen. 11: 53–63.
- 2005. The evolutionary enigma of mixed mating systems in plants: Occurrence, theoretical explanations, and empirical evidence. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36: 47–79. , &
- 1990. Breeding system and genome size of the rhabdocoel turbellarian Mesostoma ehrenbergii. Genome 33: 719–724. &
- 1985. Genetic variation in populations of the hermaphroditic flatworm Mesostoma lingua (Turbellaria: Rhabdocoela). Biol. Bull. 169: 143–151. &
- 1996. Evolution of the magnitude and timing of inbreeding depression in plants. Evolution 50: 54–70. &
- 1951. The Invertebrates: Platyhelminthes and Rhynchocoela: The Acoelomate Bilateria. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- 2009. Sex allocation predicts mating rate in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Proc. R. Soc. B 276: 4247–4253. &
- 2006. Animals mix it up too: The distribution of self-fertilization among hermaphroditic animals. Evolution 60: 1816–1824. &
- 1993. The evolution of the selfing rate in functionally hermaphroditic plants and animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24: 441–466. &
- 1991. Self-fertilization versus cross-fertilization in the hermaphroditic freshwater snail Bulinus globosus. Evolution 45: 1136–1146. , , &
- 2004. Context-dependent autonomous self-fertilization yields reproductive assurance and mixed mating. Nature 430: 884–887. , &
- 2012. Does life in unstable environments favour facultative selfing? A case study in the freshwater snail Drepanotrema depressissimum (Basommatophora: Planorbidae). Evol. Ecol. 26: 639–655. , , &
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. I. Genetic models. Evolution 39: 24–40. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 2006. Sexual selection favors harmful mating in hermaphrodites more than in gonochorists. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46: 473. &
- 1998. Sex and violence in hermaphrodites. Nature 391: 647. &
- 1996. Evidence for lack of inbreeding avoidance by selective mating in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Invertebr. Biol. 115: 99–103. &
- 2009. Sex allocation and sexual conflict in simultaneously hermaphroditic animals. Biol. Lett. 5: 705–708. &
- 2003. Phenotypically plastic adjustment of sex allocation in a simultaneous hermaphrodite. Proc. R. Soc. B 270: 935–941. &
- 1999. Lifetime reproductive output in a hermaphrodite cestode when reproducing alone or in pairs: a time cost of pairing. Evol. Ecol. 13: 381–394. &
- 2005. Trade-off between male and female allocation in the simultaneously hermaphroditic flatworm Macrostomum sp. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 396–404. , &
- 2011. Mating behavior and the evolution of sperm design. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108: 1490–1495. , , , &
- 1985. The evolution of self-fertilization and inbreeding depression in plants. II. Empirical observations. Evolution 39: 41–52. &
- 2004. Delayed selfing in relation to the availability of a mating partner in the cestode Schistocephalus solidus. Evolution 58: 2591–2596.
- 2007. Incestuous mate preference by a simultaneous hermaphrodite with strong inbreeding depression. Evolution 61: 423–430. &
- 1995. Individual variation in inbreeding depression: the roles of inbreeding history and mutation. Genetics 141: 1209–1223. &
- 2009. Evidence for costs of mating and self-fertilization in a simultaneous hermaphrodite with hypodermic insemination, the Opisthobranch Alderia willowi. Biol. Bull. 216: 188–199. , &
- 2007. The role of natural enemies in the expression and evolution of mixed mating in hermaphroditic plants and animals. Evolution 61: 2043–2055. , , &
- 2003a. Delayed selfing as an optimal mating strategy in preferentially outcrossing species: theoretical analysis of the optimal age at first reproduction in relation to mate availability. Am. Nat. 162: 318–331. , &
- 2003b. Delayed selfing and resource reallocations in relation to mate availability in the freshwater snail Physa acuta. Am. Nat. 162: 474–488. , &
- 1998. Phenotypic plasticity in the expression of self-incompatibility in Campanula rapunculoides. Heredity 81: 546–555. , &
- 1882. Monographie der Turbellarien. I. Rhabdocoelida. Willhelm Engelmann, Leipzig.
- 1975. Sex and Evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.