The role of genetic structure in the adaptive divergence of populations experiencing saltwater intrusion due to relative sea-level rise
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 12, pages 2623–2632, December 2012
How to Cite
Purcell, K. M., Hitch, A., Martin, S., Klerks, P. L. and Leberg, P. L. (2012), The role of genetic structure in the adaptive divergence of populations experiencing saltwater intrusion due to relative sea-level rise. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 2623–2632. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12016
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2011
- Louisiana Board of Regents
- United States Environmental Protection Agency's Science
- EPA's STAR program. Grant Number: R-82942001
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B Stat. Methodol. 57: 289–300. &
- 1987. Colonization by mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) of a Great Plains river basin. Copeia 1987: 336–351.
- 2002. Is the partial mantel test inadequate? Evolution, 56: 1871–1873. &
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. Evolution 21: 550–570. &
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Mol. Ecol. Notes 7: 747–756. , , &
- 1983. Salinity tolerance of the mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis (Baird and Girard). J. Fish Biol. 22: 9–11.
- 1994. Salinity-related fitness differences amongst GPI genotypes in the mosquitofish Gambusia holbrooki (Poeciliidae: Teleostei). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 53: 343–352.
- 2009. Spatial inference of admixture proportions and secondary contact zones. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26: 1963–1973. , , &
- 2010. arlequin Suite Ver 3.5: a New Series of Programs to Perform Population Genetics Analyses Under linux and windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10: 564–567. &
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Funct. Ecol. 21: 434–443. , &
- 1995. fstat (Version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86: 485–486.
- 1986. Genetic polymorphism in heterogeneous environments: a decade later. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17: 535–566.
- 2006. Recent advances in assessing gene flow between diverging populations and species. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 16: 592–596.
- 2011. Interactions of salinity, marsh fragmentation and submerged aquatic vegetation on resident nekton assemblages of coastal marsh ponds. Estuaries Coasts 34: 653–662. , , , &
- 2007. clumpp: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23: 1801–1806. &
- 2008. Gst and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17: 4015–4026.
- 2001. Effects of inbreeding and salinity stress on population dynamics of eastern mosquitofish. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 130: 1224–1232.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 2007. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology II: impediments to integration and application. Ecol. Res. 22: 947–954. , &
- 2006. Relative performance of Bayesian clustering software for inferring population substructure and individual assignment at low levels of population differentiation. Conserv. Genet. 7: 295–302. , , &
- 2002. Estimating allelic richness: effects of sample size and bottlenecks. Mol. Ecol. 11: 2445–2449.
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 2007. Coastal morphodynamics and Chenier-Plain evolution in southwestern Louisiana, USA: a geomorphic model. Geomorphology 88: 367–422. , &
- 1985. Biochemical genetics of mosquitofish. IV. Changes of allele frequencies through time and space. Evolution 39: 451–460. , &
- 1989. An ecological overview of Poeciliid fishes. In: Ecology and Evolution of Livebearing Fishes (Poeciliidae). Prentice Hall advanced reference series (G.K. Meffe & F.F. Snelson, eds), pp. 13–32. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. &
- 2007. Quantifying the constraining influence of gene flow on adaptive divergence in the lake-stream threespine stickleback system. Evolution 61: 2015–2026. , , &
- 2005. Evidence for shared ancestral polymorphism rather than recurrent gene flow at microsatellite loci differentiating two hybridizing oaks (Quercus spp.). Mol. Ecol. 14: 549–561. &
- 2002. Is FST obsolete? Conserv. Genet. 3: 167–173.
- 2007. Coastal systems and low-lying areas. In: Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adapatation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (M. Parry, O. Canziani, J. Palutikof, P. van der Linden & C. Hanson, eds), pp. 315–356. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Salinity relationships in a freshwater population of eastern mosquitofish. J. Fish Biol. 49: 1226–1232. &
- 2008. Speciation with gene flow could be common. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2103–2106.
- 2004. micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 535–538. , , &
- 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6: 119–127.
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6: 288–295. &
- 1990. Relative sea-level rise in Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico: 1908–1988. J. Coastal Res. 6: 323–342. &
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155: 945–959. , &
- 2008. Adaptation as a potential response to sea-level rise: a genetic basis for salinity tolerance in populations of a coastal marsh fish. Evol. Appl. 1: 155–160. , , &
- 2005. A review of the biology of Gambusia affinis and G. holbrooki. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 15: 339–365.
- 2001. Are partial mantel tests adequate? Evolution, 55: 1703–1705. &
- 1995. genepop (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86: 248–249. &
- 2004. distruct: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 137–138.
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145: 1219–1228.
- 2002. Partial mantel tests: reply to Castellano and Balletto. Evolution, 56: 1874–1875.
- SAS Institute. 2005. sas Onlinedoc 9.1.3. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236: 787–792.
- 1983. Biochemical genetics of mosquitofish. I. Environmental correlates, and temporal and spatial heterogeneity of allele frequencies within a river drainage. Copeia 1983: 182–193. , &
- 1999. Polymorphic microsatellite markers in the western mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis. Mol. Ecol. 8: 157–158. , , , , &
- 2000. Experimental evaluation of the usefulness of microsatellite DNA for detecting demographic bottlenecks. Mol. Ecol. 9: 1517–1528. , &
- 1980. Maladaptation in a marginal population of the mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis. Evolution 34: 65–75. &
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 94–101. , &
- 1989. Evolution of Atchafalaya lacustrine deltas, south-central Louisiana. Sed. Geol. 65: 95–112. &
- 1998. Marsh vegetation types of the Mississippi River deltaic plain. Estuaries 21: 818–828. , , &
- 2000. Marsh vegetation types of the Chenier Plain, Louisiana, USA. Estuaries 23: 318–327. , , &
- 2006. What is a population? An empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity Mol. Ecol. 15: 1419–1439. &
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. &
- 1988. Genetic variability and systematics of Gambusia in the southeastern United States. Copeia 1988: 283–289. , &
- 1999. Microsatellite assessment of multiple paternity in natural populations of a live-bearing fish, Gambusia holbrooki. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 61–69. , , &