The effect of inbreeding on natural selection in a seed-feeding beetle
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Author. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 88–93, January 2013
How to Cite
Fox, C. W. (2013), The effect of inbreeding on natural selection in a seed-feeding beetle. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 88–93. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12027
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2012
- Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station
- 2003. Interaction terms in logit and probit models. Econ. Lett. 80: 123–129. &
- 2005. Inbreeding depression in benign and stressful environments. Heredity 95: 235–242. &
- 2002. The evolution of plant sexual diversity. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3: 274–284.
- 2010. Testing for interaction in binary logit and probit models: is a product term essential? Am. J. Pol. Sci. 54: 248–266. , &
- 2012. Genetic erosion impedes adaptive responses to stressful environments. Evol. Appl. 5: 117–129. &
- 2009. The genetics of inbreeding depression. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10: 783–796. &
- 2011. Environment-dependent inbreeding depression: its ecological and evolutionary significance. New Phytol. 189: 395–407. &
- 2003. Evolutionary ecology of egg size and number in a seed beetle: genetic trade-off differs between environments. Evolution 57: 1121–1132. &
- 2009. Efficiency of selection, as measured by single nucleotide polymorphism variation, is dependent on inbreeding rate in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol. Ecol. 18: 4551–4563. , , , , &
- 1992. The aggregate impact of explanatory variables in logit and linear probability models. Am. J. Pol. Sci. 36: 785–804. &
- 2011. Patterns of mating-system evolution in hermaphroditic animals: correlations among selfing rate, inbreeding depression, and the timing of reproduction. Evolution 65: 1233–1253. , , , , , et al.
- 1999. The distribution of phenotypic variance with inbreeding. Evolution 53: 1143–1156. &
- 2000. Natural selection on seed-beetle egg size in nature and the laboratory: variation among environments. Ecology 81: 3029–3035.
- 1996. Larval host plant affects fitness consequences of egg size variation in the seed beetle Stator limbatus. Oecologia 107: 541–548. &
- 2010. Inbreeding depression increases with maternal age in a seed-feeding beetle. Evol. Ecol. Res. 12: 961–972. &
- 2011. Inbreeding depression increases with environmental stress: an experimental study and meta-analysis. Evolution 65: 246–258. &
- 2006. Variation in inbreeding depression among populations of the seed beetle, Stator limbatus. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 121: 137–144. &
- 1997. Egg size plasticity in a seed beetle: an adaptive maternal effect. Am. Nat. 149: 149–163. , &
- 2001. Consequences of plant resistance for herbivore survivorship, growth, and selection on egg size. Ecology 82: 2790–2804. , &
- 2006. The genetic architecture of life span and mortality rates: gender and species differences in inbreeding load of two seed-feeding beetles. Genetics 174: 763–773. , , , , &
- 2007. Inbreeding depression in two seed-feeding beetles, Callosobruchus maculatus and Stator limbatus (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Bull. Entomol. Res. 97: 49–54. , , &
- 2000. Interaction in linear versus logistic models: a substantive illustration using the relationship between motivation, ability, and performance. Organ. Res. Methods 3: 237–253. , &
- 2011. Mating system and the critical migration rate for swamping selection. Genet. Res. 93: 233–254.
- 2002. A metapopulation perspective on genetic diversity and differentiation in partially self-fertilizing plants. Evolution 56: 2368–2373.
- 1998. Logistic regression for empirical studies of multivariate selection. Evolution 52: 1564–1571. &
- 2012. New perspectives on the evolution of plant mating systems. Ann. Bot. 109: 493–503. , , , , &
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157: 245–261. , , , , , et al.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2010. Logistic regression: why we cannot do what we think we can do, and what we can do about it. Eur. Sociol. Rev. 26: 67–82.
- 2004. Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models. Stata J. 4: 154–167. , &
- 2011. Effect of recurrent selfing on inbreeding depression and mating system evolution in an autopolyploid plant. Evolution 65: 2038–2049. &
- 2003. A comparison of ordinary least squares and logistic regression. Ohio J. Sci. 103: 118–125. &
- 2011. Mate choice for optiomal (k)inbreeding. Evolution 65: 1501–1505.
- 2012. Inbreeding–stress interactions: evolutionary and conservation consequences. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1256: 33–48. , , &
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2010. SAS/STAT® 9.22 User's Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2011. The selfing syndrome: a model for studying the genetic and evolutionary basis of morphological adaptation in plants. Ann. Bot. 107: 1433–1443. &
- 2008. Genomic consequences of outcrossing and selfing in plants. Int. J. Plant Sci. 169: 105–118. , , &