Atypical panmixia in a European dolphin species (Delphinus delphis): implications for the evolution of diversity across oceanic boundaries
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 63–75, January 2013
How to Cite
Moura, A. E., Natoli, A., Rogan, E. and Hoelzel, A. R. (2013), Atypical panmixia in a European dolphin species (Delphinus delphis): implications for the evolution of diversity across oceanic boundaries. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 63–75. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12032
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 AUG 2012
- 2006. Identification of current ecosystem functional types in the Iberian Peninsula. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 15: 200–212. , &
- 2007. New insights on population genetic structure of Delphinus delphis from the Northeast Atlantic and phylogenetic relationships within the genus inferred from two mitochondrial markers. Mar. Biol. 151: 1967–1976. , , &
- 2012. Seascape genetics of a globally distributed, highly mobile marine mammal: the short-beaked common dolphin (genus Delphinus). PLoS ONE 7: e31482. , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Conservation genetics of harbour porpoises, Phocoena phocoena, in eastern and central north Atlantic. Conserv. Genet. 2: 309–324. , , , , &
- 2010. The influence of glacial epochs and habitat dependence on the diversity and phylogeography of a coastal dolphin species: Lagenorhynchus albirostris. Conserv. Genet. 11: 1823–1836. , , , &
- 2003. Ecology, status and conservation of short-beaked common dolphins Delphinus delphis in the Mediterranean Sea. Mammal Rev. 33: 224–252. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The role of historical dolphin takes and habitat degradation in shaping the present status of northern Adriatic cetaceans. Aquat. Conserv. 14: 363–379. , &
- 2005. Occurrence and present status of coastal dolphins (Delphinus delphis and Tursiops truncatus) in the eastern Ionian Sea. Aquat. Conserv. 15: 243–357. , , , , &
- 2006. Prey depletion caused by overfishing and the decline of marine megafauna in eastern Ionian Sea coastal waters (central Mediterranean). Biol. Conserv. 127: 373–382. , , &
- 2007. A biopsy pole system for bow-riding dolphins: sampling success, behavioral responses, and test for sampling bias. Mar. Mammal Sci. 23: 218–225. , , &
- 2008. Common dolphins subject to fisheries impacts in southern Australia are genetically differentiated: implications for conservation. Anim. Conserv. 11: 518–528. , , , &
- 2001. Diet of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in the western Mediterranean Sea. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 81: 1053–1058. , &
- 2009. Monitoring Cetaceans in UK and Adjacent Waters: Current and Potential Uses of Atlantic Research Coalition (ARC) Data. JNCC Report. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Abundance and habitat preferences of the short-beaked common dolphin Delphinus delphis in the southwestern Mediterranean: implications for conservation. Endang. Species Res. 4: 309–331. &
- 2006. Population structure within and between subspecies of the Mediterranean triplefin fish Tripterygion delaisi revealed by highly polymorphic microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 15: 3527–3539. , &
- 2005. Feasability study to evaluate using molecular genetic data to study population structure of eastern north Pacific. Delphinus delphis. National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA) Administrative Report LJ-03-12. , & .
- 2006. Bayesian identification of admixture events using multilocus molecular markers. Mol. Ecol. 15: 2833–2843. &
- 2008. Enhanced bayesian modelling in BAPS software for learning genetic structures of populations. BMC Bioinformatics 9: 539. , , &
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144: 2001–2014. &
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIY ABC: a user-friendly approach to approximate bayesian computation. Bioinformatics 24: 2713–2719. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Inference on population history and model checking using DNA sequence and microsatellite data with the software DIYABC (v1.0). BMC Bioinformatics 11: 401. , &
- 2003. Microsatellite analyser (MSA): a platform independent analysis tool for large microsatellite data sets. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3: 167–169. &
- 2003. Individual variation in prey selection by sea otters: patterns, causes and implications. J. Anim. Ecol. 72: 144–155. , , , &
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14: 2611–2620. , &
- 2004. Monitoring cetaceans in European waters. Mammal Rev. 34: 131–156. &
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1: 47–50. , &
- 2007. Rise of oceanographic barriers in continuous populations of a cetacean: the genetic structure of harbour porpoises in old world waters. BMC Biol. 5. , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Geographical variation in abundance of striped and common dolphins of the western Mediterranean. J. Sea Res. 39: 313–325. &
- 2004. Cetáceos no Arquipélago da Madeira. Museu da Baleia, Madeira, Portugal. , , &
- 2007. A markov chain monte carlo approach for joint inference of population structure and inbreeding rates from multilocus genotype data. Genetics 176: 1635–1651. , &
- 1999. Genetic differentiation in the striped dolphin Stenella coeruleoalba from European waters according to mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) restriction analysis. Mol. Ecol. 8: 1069–1073. , , &
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 10: 305–318.Direct Link: &
- 2007a. Risso's dolphins (Grampus griseus) in UK waters are differentiated from a population in the Mediterranean Sea and genetically less diverse. Conserv. Genet. 8: 727–732. , &
- 2007b. Social kin associations and genetic structuring of striped dolphin populations (Stenella coeruleoalba) in the Mediterranean sea. Mol. Ecol. 16: 2922–2933. , , &
- 2001. Fstat, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). URL http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html. .
- 2002. Abundance of harbour porpoise and other cetaceans in the North Sea and adjacent waters. J. App. Ecol. 39: 361–376. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Functional mechanisms underlying cetacean distribution patterns: hotspots for bottlenose dolphins are linked to foraging. Mar. Biol. 144: 397–403. , , , &
- 2006. Diving deep in a foraging hotspot: acoustic insights into bottlenose dolphin dive depths and feeding behaviour. Mar. Biol. 148: 1181–1188. , &
- 1998. Molecular Genetic Analysis of Populations: A Practical Approach. University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2002. Marine Mammal Biology: An Evolutionary Approach. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, UK. .
- 2009) Evolution of population structure in marine mammals. In: Population Genetics for Animal Conservation (G. Bertorelle, M.W. Bruford, H.C. Hauffe, A. Rizzoli & C. Vernesi, eds), pp. 294–318. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. . (
- 1998. Genetic differentiation between parapatric 'nearshore' and 'offshore' populations of the bottlenose dolphin. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 265: 1177–1183. , &
- 2007. Evolution of population structure in a highly social top predator, the killer whale. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24: 1407–1415. , , , , &
- 2004. Genetic differentiation among recently diverged delphinid taxa determined using aflp markers. J. Hered. 95: 1–10. &
- 2004. Kingroup: a program for pedigree relationship reconstruction and kin group assignments using genetic markers. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 779–782. , &
- 2005. Cultural transmission of tool use in bottlenose dolphins. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 8939–8943. , , , , &
- 2006. Relative performance of bayesian clustering software for inferring population substructure and individual assignment at low levels of population differentiation. Conserv. Genet. 7: 295–302. , , &
- 2001. Genetic data analysis: computer program for the analysis of allelic data. Version 1.1. Free program distributed by the authors over the internet from URL http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/people/plewis/software.php. & .
- 1999. Estimation of pairwise relatedness with molecular markers. Genetics 152: 1753–1766. &
- 2007. Randomization, Bootstrap and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology, 3rd ed. Chapman and Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL. .
- 2010. Isolation by environmental distance in mobile marine species: molecular ecology of franciscana dolphins at their southern range. Mol. Ecol. 19: 2212–2228. , , , &
- 2008. Intraspecific dietary variation in the short-beaked common dolphin Delphinus delphis in the Bay of Biscay: importance of fat fish. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 354: 277–287. , , , , &
- 2005. Alleles in space (AIS): computer software for the joint analysis of interindividual spatial and genetic information. J. Hered. 96: 722–724.
- 2009. Population structure of short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in the north Atlantic ocean as revealed by mitochondrial and nuclear genetic markers. Mar. Biol. 156: 821–834. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Fine-scale genetic structure in short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) along the east Australian current. Mar. Biol. 158: 113–126. , , , , &
- 2012. Common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) habitat preferences using data from two platforms of opportunity. Acta Oecol. 38: 24–32. , &
- 2005. Mating strategy in the male common dolphin (Delphinus delphis): what gonadal analysis tells us. J. Mammal. 86: 1247–1258. , &
- 2006. Taxonomic status and geographical cranial variation of common dolphins (Delphinus) in the eastern north Atlantic. Mar. Mammal Sci. 22: 573–599. , , , &
- 1999. Genetic study of the Atlantic/Mediterranean transition in sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). J. Hered. 90: 591–596. , , &
- 2004. Population structure and speciation in the genus Tursiops based on microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA analyses. J. Evolution. Biol. 17: 363–375. , &
- 2005. Habitat structure and the dispersal of male and female bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 272: 1217–1226. , , , &
- 2006. Phylogeography and alpha taxonomy of the common dolphin (Delphinus sp.). J. Evolution. Biol. 19: 943–954. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Conservation genetics of the short-beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) in the Mediterranean sea and in the eastern north Atlantic Ocean. Conserv. Genet. 9: 1479–1487. , , , , &
- 2007. Genetic isolation of a now extinct population of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 274: 1611–1616. , , , , &
- 1993. Cetaceans in the central Mediterranean Sea: distribution and sighting frequencies. Ital. J. Zool. 60: 131–138. , , , , &
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 535–538. , , &
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6: 288–295. &
- 2002. Extensive population subdivision of the cuttlefish Sepia officinalis (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) around the Iberian Peninsula indicated by microsatellite DNA variation. Heredity 89: 417–424. , , , &
- 2001. Origin and radiation of southern hemisphere coastal dolphins (genus Cephalorhynchus). Mol. Ecol. 10: 2215–2223. , , , , &
- 2005. Stomach contents of English Channel cetaceans stranded on the coast of Normandy. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 85: 1539–1546. , , , &
- 2010. Social cohesion among kin, gene flow without dispersal and the evolution of population genetic structure in the killer whale (Orcinus orca). J. Evolution. Biol. 23: 20–31. , &
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155: 945–959. , &
- 2007. Food and feeding ecology of the common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) in the oceanic northeast Atlantic and comparison with its diet in neritic areas. Mar. Mammal Sci. 23: 30–47. , , , , &
- 1995. A multilocus allozyme discontinuity in the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis: the interaction of ecological and life-history factors. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 116: 99–115. , &
- 1993. Laboratory experiments on speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 47: 1637–1653. &
- 1994. Genetic analysis of sympatric morphotypes of common dolphins (genus Delphinus). Mar. Biol. 119: 159–167. , &
- 2004. Distruct: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4: 137–138.
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for windows and linux. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8: 103–106.
- 2006. Powsim: a computer program for assessing statistical power when testing for genetic differentiation. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6: 600–602. &
- 2001. Stomach contents of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Scottish waters. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 81: 873–878. , , , , &
- 2007. Feeding behaviour of the bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops tuncatus (Montagu, 1821) in the Sado estuary, Portugal, and a review of its prey species. Rev. Brasil. Zoociênc. 8: 31–39. , &
- 2009. Developmental evidence for foraging traditions in wild bottlenose dolphins. Anim. Behav. 78: 715–721. &
- 2007. Can environmental heterogeneity explain individual foraging variation in wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.)? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 679–688. , , &
- 1999. Diet of common dolphins, Delphinus delphis, off the Portuguese continental coast. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 79: 531–540.
- 2002. Interactions between cetaceans and the tuna fishery in the Azores. Mar. Mammal Sci. 18: 893–901. , , , &
- 2006a. Diet overlap between harbour porpoise and bottlenose dolphin: an argument in favour of interference competition for food? Estuar. Coast. Shelf S. 70: 259–270. , &
- 2006b. Dietary plasticity of the oceanic striped dolphin, Stenella coeruleoalba, in the neritic waters of the Bay of Biscay. J. Sea Res. 55: 309–320. , , , &
- 2010. Prey selection by the common dolphin: fulfilling high energy requirements with high quality food. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 390: 73–77. , , , &
- 2007. Generation length and percent mature estimates for IUCN assessments of cetaceans. NOAA, NMFS, Southwest Fisheries Science Center Administrative Report LJ-07-01: 21. Available at http://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedfiles/divisions/prd/publications/generation%20length%20admin%20report.pdf , , &
- 2012. Ecological characteristics contribute to sponge distribution and tool use in bottlenose dolphins Tursiops sp. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 444: 143–153. , , , , &
- 2009. Fine-scale population structure of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Tampa Bay, Florida. Mar. Mammal Sci. 25: 619–638. , , &
- 2001. Sympatric speciation in animals: the ugly duckling grows up. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 381–390.
- 2008. Insights on common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) social organization from genetic analysis of a mass-stranded pod. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 63: 173–185. , , , &
- 2007. Reproduction in short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) from the western north Atlantic. Mar. Biol. 150: 1011–1024. &