Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061/dryad.20nf5
Genetic factors affecting food-plant specialization of an oligophagous seed predator
Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 141–149, January 2013
How to Cite
Laukkanen, L., Leimu, R., Muola, A., Lilley, M. and Mutikainen, P. (2013), Genetic factors affecting food-plant specialization of an oligophagous seed predator. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 141–149. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12037
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 2012
- 2009. Resource specialization in a phytophagous insect: no evidence for genetically based performance trade-offs across hosts in the field or laboratory. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 907–912. &
- 2008. Spatio-temporal variation in fruit production and seed predation in a perennial herb influenced by habitat quality and population size. J. Ecol. 96: 334–345. , &
- 2011. Host-plant choice behaviour at multiple life-cycle stages: the roles of mobility and early growth in decision-making. Ethology 117: 1–12. &
- 1997. Insects on plants: macroevolutionary chemical trends in host use. Science 276: 253–256.
- 2002. Sympatric speciation in phytophagous insects: moving beyond controversy? Annu. Rev. Entomol. 47: 773–815. &
- 1988. On the evolution of host specificity in phytophagous arthropods. Ecology 69: 886–892. &
- 1981. A feeding deterrent effect of a water extract of tansy (Tanacetum vulgare L Compositae) on three lepidopterous larvae. J. Kans. Ent. Soc. 54: 733–736. &
- 1985. Composition of the essential oil of Tanacetum vulgare. Chem. Nat. Compd. 20: 677–680. , , &
- 1964. Feeding habits of some Rhyparochrominae (Heteroptera: Lygaeidae) with particular reference to the value of natural foods. Trans. R. Ent. Soc. Lond. 116: 89–114.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Essex. &
- 2007. The genetic architecture of a niche: variation and covariation in host use traits in the Colorado potato beetle. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 985–996. , &
- 1994. Host-associated fitness trade-offs do not limit the evolution of diet breadth in the small milkweed bug Lygaeus kalmii (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae). Oecologia 97: 382–389. &
- 1981. Specialization: species property or local phenomenon? Science 211: 887–893. &
- 1995. Parental host plant affects offspring life histories in a seed beetle. Ecology 76: 402–411. , &
- 1990. Trade-offs in fitness on different hosts: evidence from a selection experiment with a phytophagous mite. Am. Nat. 136: 569–580.
- 1993. The “general vigor” problem: can antagonistic pleiotropy be detected when genetic covariances are positive? Evolution 47: 327–333.
- 2003. Detecting ecological trade-offs using selection experiments. Ecology 84: 1672–1678.
- 1976. Food plant specialization and environmental predictability in Lepidoptera. Am. Nat. 110: 285–292.
- 2008. Sympatric speciation: norm or exception? In: Specialization, Speciation, and Radiation (K.J. Tilmon, ed.), pp. 136–148. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. .
- 1995. Genetic constraints on macroevolution: the evolution of host affiliation in the leaf beetle genus Ophraella. Evolution 49: 797–809. , &
- 1996. Evidence for a peak-shift in predator generalization among aposematic pray. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1329–1334. &
- 2011. Jack of all trades masters novel host plants: positive genetic correlations in specialist and generalist insect herbivores expanding their diets to novel hosts. J. Evol. Biol. 25: 38–53. &
- 1979. Rapid host range evolution in a population of the phytophagous mite Tetranychus urticae Koch. Evolution 33: 791–802.
- 1998. Retkeilykasvio (Field Flora of Finland), 4th edn. Finnish Museum of Natural History, Botanical Museum, Helsinki. , , & . (eds)
- 2009. Minor chemical constituents of Verbascum thapsus. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 37: 124–126. , , , , &
- 1990. Predicting host range evolution: colonization of Coronilla varia by Colias philodice (Lepidoptera: Pieridae). Evolution 44: 1637–1647.
- 1998. Performance of two monophagous leaf feeding beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on each other's host plant: Do intrinsic factors determine host plant specialization? J. Evol. Biol. 11: 403–419.
- 1989. A sesquiterpene lactone clycoside from Crepis tectorum. Phytochemistry 28: 2403–2404. &
- 1973a. Laboratory studies on the effect of different natural foods on the reproductive biology of Lygaeus equestris (L.) (Het Lygaeidae). Ent. Scand. 4: 181–190.
- 1973b. Larval development of Lygaeus equestris (Heteroptera, Lygaeidae) on different natural foods. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 16: 165–177.
- 1974. Laboratory studies on the feeding preference and feeding behaviour in Lygaeus equestris (L.) (Het Lygaeidae). Ent. Scand. 5: 49–55.
- 1977. Distribution, feeding habits and dispersal of Lygaeus equestris (Heteroptera) larvae in relation to food supply. Oikos 29: 398–406.
- 2010. Sex-specific differences in nutrient regulation in a capital breeding caterpillar, Spodoptera litura (Fabricius). J. Insect Physiol. 56: 1685–1695.
- 2006. Effects of two types of herbivores on the population dynamics of a perennial herb. Basic Appl. Ecol. 7: 224–235. &
- 2002. Effects of population size, seed predation and plant size on male and female reproductive success in Vincetoxicum hirundinaria (Asclepiadaceae). Oikos 98: 229–238. &
- 2010. Diet quality affects warning coloration indirectly: excretion costs in a generalist herbivore. Evolution 64: 68–78. , , , &
- 1996. A trade-off for host plant utilization in the black bean aphid, Aphid fabae. Evolution 50: 155–162.
- 2011. Divergent host plant specialization as the critical driving force in speciation between populations of a phytophagous ladybird beetle. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1421–1432. , &
- 2010. Associations of plant fitness, leaf chemistry, and damage suggest selection mosaic in plant-herbivore interactions. Ecology 91: 2650–2659. , , , , &
- 2007. Life-history constraints and warning signal expression in an arctiid moth. Funct. Ecol. 21: 1162–1167. , &
- 1992. Host plant preference based on salicylate chemistry in a willow leaf beetle (Chrysomela aeneicollis). Oecologia 90: 95–101.
- 2011. Evolution of specialization: a phylogenetic study of host range in the red milkweed beetle (Tetraopes tetraophthalmus). Am. Nat. 177: 728–737. &
- 1988. Is coevolution dead? Ecology 69: 898–901.
- 2010. Suomen Luteet, 1st edn. Hyönteistarvike TIBIALE Oy, Helsinki. &
- 1984. Components of oil of tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) that repel Colorado potato beetles (Leptinotarsa decemlineata). J. Nat. Prod. 47: 964–969.
- 2005. Have genetic trade-offs in host use been overlooked in arthropods? Evol. Ecol. 19: 551–561. , &
- 2005. Insect-Plant Biology, 2nd edn. University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 1972. Cardiac glycosides in the Lygaeinae (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae). Can. J. Zool. 50: 35–42. &
- 2008. Evolutionary ecology of polyphagy. In: Specialization, Speciation, and Radiation (K.J. Tilmon, ed.), pp. 29–42. University of California Press, Berkeley, Los Angeles and London.
- 2004. Roles of food quality and enemy-free space in host use by a generalist insect herbivore. Ecology 85: 2747–2753. , , &
- 2007. Density dependence vs. independence, and irregular population dynamics of a swallow-wort fruit fly. Ecology 88: 1466–1475. &
- 1972. Field observations on the seasonal occurrence of Lygaeus equestris (L.) (Het., Lygaeidae) with special reference to food plant phenology. Ent. Scand. 3: 189–210. &
- 1981. Control of diapause in a “monovoltine” insect, Lygaeus equetris (Heteroptera). Oikos 36: 68–74. &
- 1986a. Seed production and seed predation in a patchy and time-varying environment. Dynamics of a milkweed – tephritid fly system. Oecologia 71: 51–58. &
- 1986b. The role of variable weather for the dynamics of a seed-seed predator system. Oecologia 71: 59–62. &
- 1990a. Population dynamics of a seed feeding bug, Lygaeus equestris. 1. Habitat patch structure and spatial dynamics. Oikos 58: 199–209. &
- 1990b. Population dynamics of a seed feeding bug, Lygaeus equestris. 2. Temporal dynamics. Oikos 58: 210–218. &
- 1989. Size, life history and responses to food shortage in two geographical strains of a seed bug Lygaeus equestris. Oikos 55: 387–396. , , &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process, 1st edn. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London.
- 1996. Trade-offs in larval performance on normal and novel hosts. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 80: 133–139.
- 2000. Effects of food plant and group size on predator defence: differences between two co-occurring aposematic Lygaeinae bugs. Ecol. Entomol. 25: 220–225. , &
- 2003. Genetic architecture for normal and novel host-plant use in two local populations of the herbivorous ladybird beetle, Epilachna pustulosa. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 883–895. , , , &
- 1991. The genetic structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork: demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45: 827–852.
- 2002. The genetic architecture of ecological specialization: correlated gene effects on host use and habitat choice in pea aphids. Am. Nat. 159: S76–S88. &
- 1996. The red queen beats the jack-of-all trades: the limitations on the evolution of phenotypic plasticity and niche breadth. Am. Nat. 148: S65–S77.
- 1984. Biostatistical Analysis, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, Eaglewood.