Data deposited at Dryad: do:10.5061/dryad.s55c4
Rapid and unpredictable changes of the G-matrix in a natural bird population over 25 years
Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 1–13, January 2013
How to Cite
Björklund, M., Husby, A. and Gustafsson, L. (2013), Rapid and unpredictable changes of the G-matrix in a natural bird population over 25 years. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 1–13. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12044
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 AUG 2012
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62: 2451–2461. , , , &
- 1987. Adaptive landscapes, genetic distance and the evolution of quantitative characters. Genet. Res. Camb. 49: 157–173. &
- 1989. Evolutionary quantitative genetics: how little do we know? Annu. Rev. Genet. 23: 337–370. &
- 1994. Processes generating macroevolutionary patterns of morphological variation in birds – a simulation study. J. Evol. Biol. 7: 727–742.
- 1996. The importance of evolutionary constraints on ecological time scales. Evol. Ecol. 10: 423–431.
- 2003. Variation and selection – what are we measuring? Ann. Zool. Fennica 40: 387–394.
- 2004. Constancy of the G-matrix in ecological time. Evolution 58: 1145–1164.
- 1993. Morphological differentiation in Carduelis finches – adaptive vs constraint models. J. Evol. Biol. 6: 359–373. &
- 1966. Some observations on asymmetrical correlated responses to selection. Genet. Res. Camb. 7: 44–57. , &
- 1980. The Mathematical Theory of Quantitative Genetics. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 2004. Population differentiation in G matrix structure due to natural selection in Rana temporaria. Evolution 58: 2013–2020. , , &
- 2005. Genetic variance and covariance for physiological traits in Lobelia: are there constraints on adaptive evolution? Evolution 59: 826–837. , , , &
- 2005. How do misassigned paternities affect the estimation of heritability in the field? Mol. Ecol. 14: 2839–2850. &
- 2007. Comparing covariance matrices: random skewers method compared to the principal components model. Genet. Mol. Biol. 30: 461–469. &
- 2010. Individuals and populations: the role of long-term, individual-based studies of animals in ecology and evolutionary biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25: 562–573. &
- 2011. The statistical mechanics of a polygenic character under stabilizing selection, mutation and drift. J. R. Soc. Interface 8: 720–739. &
- 2008. Rapid divergence of genetic variance-covariance matrix within a population. Am. Nat. 171: 291–304. , , &
- 2012. How do genetic correlations affect range shifts in a changing environment? Ecol. Lett. 15: 251–259. , , , &
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, New York. &
- 2007. Resolving the paradox of stasis: models with stabilizing selection explain evolutionary divergence on all timescales. Am. Nat. 169: 227–244. &
- 2006. Variation in pleiotropy and the mutational underpinnings of the G-matrix. Evolution 60: 2655–2660. &
- 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, London. &
- 2008. Stability of genetic variance and covariance for reproductive characters in the face of climate change in a wild bird population. Mol. Ecol. 17: 179–188. , , &
- 1963. Effects of disruptive selection. VIII. Imposed quasirandom mating. Heredity 18: 513–524. &
- 2009. ASReml User Guide. Release 2.0. VSN International, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , , &
- 1989. A developmental constraint in Cerion, with comments on the definition and interpretation of constraint in evolution. Evolution 43: 516–539.
- 2012. Sex specific genetic variances in life history and morphological traits of the seed beetle C. maculatus. Ecol. Evol. 2: 128–138. &
- 2008. Measuring and comparing evolvability and constraint in multivariate characters. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1201–1219. &
- 2009. Corrigendum. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 913–915. &
- 1950. Estimation of genetic parameters. Ann. Math. Stat. 21: 309–310.
- 1992. Artificial selection experiments. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 23: 287–310. &
- 2009. Characterizing the evolution of genetic variance using genetic covariance tensors. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B364: 1567–1578. , , &
- 2008. MIPoD: a hypothesis-testing framework for microevolutionary inference from patterns of divergence. Am. Nat. 171: 366–385. &
- 1991. Genetic covariance of fitness correlates: what genetic correlations are made of and why it matters. Evolution 45: 630–648.
- 2010. Contrasting patterns of phenotypic plasticity in reproductive traits in two great tit (Parus major) populations. Evolution 64: 2221–2237. , , , , &
- 2011. Speeding up microevolution: the effects of increasing temperature on selection and genetic variance in a wild bird population. PLoS Biol. 9: e1000585. , &
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57: 1747–1760. , &
- 2007. Evolution and stability of the G-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58: 1639–1654. , &
- 1992. Acquisition and allocation of resources: genetic (co)variances, selection, and life histories. Am. Nat. 139: 749–770. &
- 2009. Patterns of quantitative genetic variation in multiple dimensions. Genetica 136: 271–284.
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the “animal model”. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. 359: 873–890.
- 2007. How to separate genetic and environmental causes of similarity between relatives. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1890–1903. &
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 1998. Genetics and the Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1972. Choosing a point from the surface of a sphere. Ann. Math. Stat. 43: 645–646.
- 1998. Genetic variation and causes of genotype-environment interaction in the body size of blue tit (Parus caeruleus). Genetics 148: 1233–1244. &
- 1993. Inheritance of size and shape in natural population of collared flycatchers, Ficedula albicollis. J. Evol. Biol. 6: 375–398. &
- 1996. Temporal stability and microgeographic homogeneity of heritability estimates in a natural bird population. J. Hered. 87: 199–204. &
- 2000. Quantitative genetic variation in Daphnia: temporal changes in genetic architecture. Evolution 54: 1502–1509. &
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43: 1209–1222. &
- 2006. Testing the genetics underlying the co-evolution of mate choice and ornament in the wild. Nature 441: 84–86. , &
- 2007. The G-matrix under fluctuating correlational mutation and selection. Evolution 61: 1857–1872.
- 2012. A test of the hypothesis that correlational selection generates genetic correlations. Evolution 66: 2953–2960. &
- 2012. There's more than one way to skin a G matrix. J. Evol. Biol. 25: 1113–1126. , , &
- 1967. Stabilizing and disruptive selection on a mutant character in Drosophila. I. The phenotypic variance and its components. Genetics 60: 373–388. , &
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 1999. Sexual selection resulting from extrapair paternity in collared flycatchers. Anim. Behav. 57: 285–298. &
- 1998. Gender and environmental sensitivity in nestling collared flycatchers. Ecology 79: 1939–1948. , , &
- 1982. Effect of short term directional selection on genetic variability: experiments with Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity 48: 27–33. &
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 320–327. , &
- 2008. Estimating nonlinear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing?. Evolution 62: 2435–2440. , , , &
- 1959. Effects of disruptive selection. I. Genetic flexibility. Heredity 13: 187–209.
- 1992. Asymmetrical correlated response to selection under an infinitesimal genetic model. Theor. Appl. Gen. 84: 232–329. &
- 2011. Hypersphere Point Picking. From MathWorld-A Wolfram Web Resource. URL http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HyperspherePointPicking.html.