Differential introgression from a sister species explains high FST outlier loci within a mussel species
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 14–26, January 2013
How to Cite
Gosset, C. C. and Bierne, N. (2013), Differential introgression from a sister species explains high FST outlier loci within a mussel species. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 14–26. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12046
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2012
- Agence National de la Recherche. Grant Number: ANR-08-BLAN-0334
- 2009. Molecular and evolutionary history of melanism in North American Gray Wolves. Science 323: 1339–1343. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Transfer and origin of adaptations through natural hybridization: were Anderson and Stebbins right? Plant Cell 16: 562–570.
- 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 11: 155–165. &
- 2012. Molecular spandrels: tests of adaptation at the genetic level (vol 12, pg 767, 2011). Nat. Rev. Genet. 13: 70. &
- 1979. The dynamics of hybrid zones. Heredity 43: 341–359.
- 2005. Adaptation and speciation: what can FST tell us?. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 435–440.
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Mol. Ecol. 13: 969–980. &
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proc. R Soc. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1619–1626. &
- 2010. The distinctive footprint of local hitchhiking in a varied environment and global hitchhiking in a subdivised population. Evolution 64: 3254–3272.
- 2002. Can habitat specialisation maintain a mosaic hybrid zone in marine bivalves? Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 245: 157–170. , , &
- 2003. Introgression patterns in the mosaic hybrid zone between Mytilus edulis and M. galloprovincialis. Mol. Ecol. 12: 447–461. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mark–recapture cloning: a straightforward and costeffective cloning method for population genetics of singlecopy nuclear DNA sequences in diploids. Mol. Ecol. Notes 7: 562–566. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The coupling hypothesis: why genome scans may fail to map local adaptation genes. Mol. Ecol. 20: 2044–2072. , , , &
- 2007. The use of coded PCR primers enables high-throughput sequencing of multiple homolog amplification products by 454 parallel sequencing. PLoS ONE 2: e197. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The flow of antimicrobial peptide genes through a genetic barrier between Mytilus edulis and M. galloprovincialis. J. Mol. Evol. 68: 461–474. , &
- 1997. Zoogéographie infra-spécifique de la mer Méditerranée. Vie Milieu 47: 295–305. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The effects of genetic and geographic structure on neutral variation. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34: 99–125. , &
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of Ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307: 1928–1933. , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Genetic characterization of the hybridization between Mytilus edulis and M. galloprovincialis on the Atlantic coast of France. Mar. Biol. 111: 87–93. , &
- 2001. The zone of sympatry and hybridization of Mytilus edulis and M. galloprovincialis, as described by intron length polymorphism at locus mac-1. Heredity 86: 342–354. , &
- 2012. Butterfly genome reveals promiscuous exchange of mimicry adaptations among species. Nature 487: 94–98. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Regional patterns of microsatellite variation in Mytilus galloprovincialis from the Iberian Peninsula. Mar. Biol. 154: 277–286. &
- 2004. Strong population structure in the marine sponge Crambe crambe (Poecilosclerida) as revealed by microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 13: 511–522. , , &
- 2009. Coalescence times and F-ST under a skewed offspring distribution among individuals in a population. Genetics 181: 615–629. &
- 2002. Homoplasy and mutation model at microsatellite loci and their consequences for population genetics analysis. Mol. Ecol. 11: 1591–1604. , &
- 2007. Evidence for a slightly deleterious effect of intron polymorphisms at the EF1alpha gene in the deep-sea hydrothermal vent bivalve Bathymodiolus. Gene 406: 99–107. , , , &
- 2008. Genetic hitchhiking in a subdivided population of Mytilus edulis. BMC Evol. Biol. 8: 164–177. , , &
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a bayesian perspective. Genetics 180: 977–993. &
- 2010. Estimating population structure from AFLP amplification intensity. Mol. Ecol. 19: 4638–4647. , , &
- 2011. Within-population structure highlighted by differential introgression across semipermeable barriers to gene flow in Anguilla Marmorata. Evolution 65: 3413–3427. , , , , &
- 2010. A 454 multiplex sequencing method for rapid and reliable genotyping of highly polymorphic genes in large-scale studies. BMC Genomics 11: 296–311. , , , &
- 2009. Comparing geographical genetic differentiation between candidate and noncandidate loci for adaptation strengthens support for parallel ecological divergence in the marine snail Littorina saxatilis. Mol. Ecol. 18: 919–930. , &
- 2004. How to detect polymorphisms undergoing selection in marine fishes? A review of methods and case studies, including flatfishes. J. Sea Res. 51: 167–182. , &
- 2006. Towards unbiased parentage assignment: combining genetic, behavioural and spatial data in a Bayesian framework. Mol. Ecol. 15: 3715–3730. , &
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl. Acids. Symp. Ser. 41: 95–98.
- 1993 Hybrids and hybrid zones: historical perspective. In: Hybrid Zones and the Evolutionary Process (R.G. Harrison, ed.), pp. 3–12. Oxford University Press, New York, Oxford.
- 2011. Sweepstakes reproductive success in highly fecund marine fish and shellfish: a review and commentary. Bull. Mar. Sci. 87: 971–1002. &
- 2009. Gene flow and isolation among populations of marine animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40: 291–310.
- 1975. Sex-chromosome hybrid zone in grasshopper Podisma pedestris (Orthoptera Acrididae). Heredity 35: 375–387.
- 1996. Some genetic consequences of ice ages, and their role in divergence and speciation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 58: 247–276.
- 2011. Quaternary phylogeography: the roots of hybrid zones. Genetica 139: 617–638.
- 2000. Origin of the antitropical distribution pattern in marine mussels (Mytilus spp.): routes and timing of transequatorial migration. Mar. Biol. 136: 69–77. , , , , &
- 2012. Change and stasis in marine hybrid zones in response to climate warming. J. Biogeogr. 39: 676–687. , , , , &
- 2006. Life on the margin: genetic isolation and diversity loss in a peripheral marine ecosystem, the Baltic Sea. Mol. Ecol. 15: 2013–2029. &
- 2012. Evidence for microsatellite hitchhiking selection in European sardine (Sardina pilchardus) and implications in inferring stock structure. Sci. Mar. 76: 123–132. , , &
- 2011. Distribution of Mytilus taxa in european coastal areas as inferred from molecular markers. J. Sea Res. 65: 224–234. , , , , &
- 1976. Population genetics of marine pelecypods: IV selection, migration and genetic differentiation in the blue mussel Mytilus edulis. Evolution 30: 2–32. , &
- 2001 MEGA: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis. Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA. , , &
- 2002. Geographic structure in the European flat oyster (Ostrea edulis L.) as revealed by microsatellite polymorphism. J. Hered. 93: 331–338. , , , &
- 2000. Do discrepancies between microsatellite and allozyme variation reveal differential selection between sea and lagoon in the sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax)? Mol. Ecol. 9: 457–467. , , , , &
- 2005. Maintenance of genetic differentiation across a transition zone in the sea: discordance between nuclear and cytoplasmic markers. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 70–80. , &
- 1974 The Genetic Basis of Evolutionary Change. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4: 981–994. , , , &
- 2006. A genomic scan for divergent selection in a secondary contact zone between Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico oysters, Crassostrea virginica. Mol. Ecol. 15: 4229–4242. &
- 2009. Population genomics of marine fishes: identifying adaptive variation in space and time. Mol. Ecol. 18: 3128–3150. , , &
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18: 375–402. , &
- 1994. Genetic divergence, reproductive isolation, and marine speciation. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25: 547–572.
- 2007. Pillars of Hercules: is the Atlantic–Mediterranean transition a phylogeographical break? Mol. Ecol. 16: 4426–4444. , &
- 2009. Geographical patterns of genetic structure in marine species with contrasting life histories. J. Biogeogr. 36: 1881–1890. , &
- 2010. Comparing three different methods to detect selective loci using dominant markers. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 2267–2276. , , , &
- 2002. Extensive population subdivision of the cuttlefish Sepia officinalis (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) around the Iberian Peninsula indicated by microsatellite DNA variation. Heredity 89: 417–424. , , , &
- 2001. Nucleotide polymorphism and natural selection at the pantophysin (Pan I) locus in the Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua (L.). Genetics 157: 317–330.
- 1995a. A mitochondrial DNA discontinuity in the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis Lmk: Pleistocene vicariance biogeography and secondary intergradation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 12: 521–524. , &
- 1995b. Differential introgression of mitochondrial DNA across species boundaries within the marine mussel genus Mytilus. Proc. R Soc. B Biol. Sci. 262: 51–56. , &
- 1995c. A multilocus allozyme discontinuity in the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis: the interaction of ecological and life-history factors. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 116: 99–115. , &
- 1998a. Patterns of polymorphism and gene flow of gender-associated mitochondrial DNA lineages in European mussel populations. Mol. Ecol. 7: 1041–1051. , , &
- 1998b. Nonneutral evolution and differential mutation rate of gender-associated mitochondrial DNA lineages in the marine mussel Mytilus. Genetics 149: 1511–1526. , &
- 2002. Evidence for selection at multiple allozyme loci across a mussel hybrid zone. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19: 347–351. , &
- 2011. Effects of geography and life history traits on genetic differentiation in benthic marine fishes. Ecography 34: 566–575. , , , &
- 2012. The QTN program and the alleles that matter for evolution: all that's gold does not glitter. Evolution 66: 1–17.
- 2012. Genome divergence during evolutionary diversification as revealed in replicate lake-stream stickleback population pairs. Mol. Ecol. 21: 2852–2862. , , &
- 1996. Equilibrium values of measures of population subdivision for stepwise mutation processes. Genetics 142: 1357–1362.
- 2004. Inferences from Spatial Population Genetics. In: Handbook of Statistical Genetics. (D.J. Balding, M. Bishop & C. Cannings, eds), pp. 945–977. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester.
- 1994. Mytilus galloprovincialis and M. edulis on the coasts of the Iberian peninsula. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 113: 131–146. , &
- 1996. Macrogeographic differentiation by mtDNA restriction site analysis in the SW European Mytilus galloprovincialis Lmk. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 198: 89–100. , &
- 2004. An introduction to Mediterranean deep-sea biology. Sci. Mar. 68: 7–38. , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Adaptive maintenance of genetic polymorphism in an intertidal barnacle: habitat- and life-stage-specific survivorship of Mpi genotypes. Evolution 55: 1336–1344. &
- 1997. Structural and functional differences in the promoter and 5′ flanking region of Ldh-B within and between populations of the Teleost Fundulus heteroclitus. Genetics 145: 759–769. , &
- 1983. Aspects of the population genetics of Mytilus (Mytilidae; mollusca) in the British Isles. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 19: 137–183. , &
- 2010. Comparative genomics of marine mussels (Mytilus spp.) gender associated mtDNA: rapidly evolving atp8. J. Mol. Evol. 71: 385–400. , &
- 2012. Genome patterns of selection and introgression of haplotypes in natural populations of the house mouse (Mus musculus). PLoS Genet. 8: e1002891. , , , , &
- 2005. Using genome scans of DNA polymorphism to infer adaptive population divergence. Mol. Ecol. 14: 671–688.
- 2003. Natural selection on protein polymorphism in the rodent genus Peromyscus: evidence from interlocus contrasts. Evolution 57: 2628–2635. &
- 2010. Integrating evolutionary and functional approaches to infer adaptation at specific loci. Evolution 64: 2489–2509. &
- 2008. Increasing genomic information in bivalves through new EST collections in four species: development of new genetic markers for environmental studies and genome evolution. Gene 408: 27–36. , , , , , et al.
- The ProSpects Gregynog Workshop. 2012. Hybridization and speciation. J. Evol. Biol., in press.
- 1994. ClustalW: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22: 4673–4680. , &
- 2011. Can AFLP genome scans detect small islands of differentiation? The case of shell sculpture variation in the periwinkle Echinolittorina hawaiiensis. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1814–1825. &
- 1988. A study of an intensive density front in teh Eastern Alboran sea: the Almeria-Oran front. J. Phys. Oceanogr. 18: 1384–1397. , , &
- 2005. Challenges for identifying functionally important genetic variation: the promise of combining complementary research strategies. Mol. Ecol. 14: 3623–3642. &
- 2002. AFLP-SURV version 1.0. Distributed by the author. Laboratoire de Génétique et Ecologie Végétale, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium.
- 2010. What's good for you may be good for me: evidence for adaptive introgression of multiple traits in wild sunflower. New Phytol. 187: 7–9.
- 2002. Data from amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers show indication of size homoplasy and of a relationship between degree of homoplasy and fragment size. Mol. Ecol. 11: 139–151. , , &
- 2012. DETSEL: a R-package to detect marker loci responding to selection. In: Data Production and Analysis in Population Genomics (A. Bonin & F. Pompanon, eds), pp. 277–293. Humana Press, New York.
- 2001. Interpretation of variation across marker loci as evidence of selection. Genetics 158: 1811–1823. , &
- 2003. DetSel 1.0: a computer program to detect markers responding to selection. J. Hered. 94: 429–431. , , &
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23: 4407–4414. , , , , , et al.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. &
- 2008. An objective, rapid and reproducible method for scoring AFLP peak-height data that minimizes genotyping error. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8: 725–735. , , , &
- 2008. Sequence differentiation in regions identified by a genome scan for local adaptation. Mol. Ecol. 17: 3123–3135. , , , &
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159.
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Ann. Eugen. 15: 323–354.
- 2001. Cloning and sequencing of a molluscan endo-beta-1,4-glucanase gene from the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis. Eur. J. Biochem. 268: 3718–3727. , &
- 2002. endo-β-1,4-Mannanases from blue mussel, Mytilus edulis: purification, characterization, and mode of action. J. Biotechnol. 92: 267–277. , , &
- 1999. Estimating population structure in diploids with multilocus dominant DNA markers. Mol. Ecol. 8: 907–913.