Data deposited at Dryad: doi: 10.5061/dryad.p86c3
Effects of inbreeding and temperature stress on life history and immune function in a butterfly
Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 3, pages 517–528, March 2013
How to Cite
Franke, K. and Fischer, K. (2013), Effects of inbreeding and temperature stress on life history and immune function in a butterfly. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 517–528. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12064
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2012
- University of Greifswald
- Landesgraduiertenförderung of Mecklenburg Western Pomerania
- 2005. Inbreeding depression in benign and stressful environments. Heredity 95: 235–242. &
- 2010. Exposure to sexual signals during rearing increases immune defence in adult field crickets. Biol. Lett. 7: 217–220. , &
- 2012. Genetic erosion impedes adaptive responses to stressful environments. Evol. Appl. 5: 117–129. &
- 2000. Does inbreeding affect the extinction risk of small populations? Predictions from Drosophila. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 502–514. , &
- 1976. Rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72: 248–254.
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and fluctuating asymmetry as responses to environmental stress in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. In: Environmental Stress: Adaptation and Evolution (R. Bijlsma & V. Loeschcke, eds), pp. 105–146. Birkhäuser, Basel.
- 2009. Fundamental concepts in genetics: the genetics of inbreeding depression. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10: 783–796. &
- 2007. Physiological diversity in insects: ecological and evolutionary contexts. Adv. In Insect Phys. 33: 50–152. &
- 2004. Why does metabolism scale with temperature? Funct. Ecol. 18: 243–251. &
- 2004. Density-dependent prophylaxis and condition-dependent immune function in Lepidopteran larvae: a multivariate approach. J. Anim. Ecol. 73: 283–293. , , &
- 1997. Effects of inbreeding in three life stages of Drosophila buzzatii after embryos were exposed to a high temperature stress. Heredity 78: 410–416. &
- 2008. Impacts of climate warming on terrestrial ectotherms across latitude. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105: 6668–6672. , , , , , et al.
- 2012a. Effects of inbreeding on life history and thermal performance in the tropical butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Popul. Ecol. 54: 83–90. , , &
- 2012b. Response to selection on cold tolerance is constrained by inbreeding. Evolution 66: 2384–2398. , &
- 2012c. Does selection on increased cold tolerance in the adult stage confer resistance throughout development? J. Evol. Biol. 25: 1650–1657. , , &
- 2007. Heat stress intensification in the Mediterranean climate change hotspot. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L11706. , &
- 2011. Inbreeding and measures of immune function in the cricket Teleogryllus commodus. Behav. Ecol. 22: 486–492. &
- 1985. Soluble peptidoglycan fragments stimulate antibacterial protein-synthesis by fat-body from larvae of Manduca sexta. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 9: 559–568.
- 2010. Exploring plastic and genetic responses to temperature variation using copper butterflies. Clim. Res. 43: 17–30. &
- 2003. Plasticity in butterfly egg size: why larger offspring at lower temperatures? Ecology 84: 3138–3147. , &
- 2004. Allocation of larval and adult resources to reproduction in a fruit-feeding butterfly. Funct. Ecol. 18: 656–663. , &
- 2010. Environmental effects on temperature stress resistance in the tropical butterfly Bicyclus anynana. PLoS ONE 5: e15284. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Inbreeding depression increases with environmental stress: an experimental study and meta-analysis. Evolution 65: 246–258. &
- 2011. Inbreeding-environment interactions for fitness: complex relationships between inbreeding depression and temperature stress in a seed-feeding beetle. Evol. Ecol. 25: 25–43. , , , &
- 2012. Directional selection on cold tolerance does not constrain plastic capacity in a butterfly. BMC Evol. Biol. 12: 235. , &
- 2005. Genetics and extinction. Biol. Conserv. 126: 131–140.
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 2012. Phenoloxidase: a key component of the insect immune system. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 142: 1–16. &
- 2000. Environmental stress as an evolutionary force. Bioscience 50: 217–226. &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol 28: 175–216. , &
- 2010. Cuticular melanisation and immune response in a butterfly: local adaptation and lack of correlation. Ecol. Entomol. 35: 523–528. , &
- 2011. Temperature extremes and butterfly fitness: conflicting evidence from life history and immune function. Glob. Change Biol. 17: 676–687. , , , &
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 230–241. &
- 1997. Thermal sensitivity of growth and feeding in Manduca sexta caterpillars. Physiol. Zool. 70: 631–638. &
- 2003. Effects of inbreeding and environmental stress on fitness – using Drosophila buzzatii as a model organism. Conserv. Genet. 4: 453–465. , &
- 2009. The ecology of climate change and infectious diseases. Ecology 90: 888–900.
- 1991. The Butterflies of Kenya. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2009. Sex differences in immune defenses and response to parasitism in monarch butterflies. Evol. Ecol. 23: 607–620. &
- 2004. Does prediction maintain eyespot plasticity in Bicyclus anynana? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 279–283. , , &
- 2009. Life stage-related differences in hardening and acclimation of thermal tolerance traits in the kelp fly, Paractora dreuxi (Diptera, Helcomyzidae). J. Insect Physiol. 55: 336–343. , &
- 2010. Repeated stress exposure results in a survival-reproduction trade-off in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277: 963–969. &
- 2010. Trait specific consequences of fast and slow inbreeding: lessons from captive populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Conserv. Genet. 11: 479–488. &
- 2003. Adaptive innate immunity? Responsive-mode prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2475–2480. &
- 2008. Rapid thermal adaptation during field temperature variations in Drosophila melanogaster. Cryobiology 56: 159–162. &
- 2005. Effects of inbreeding and rate of inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster – hsp70 expression and fitness. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 756–762. , &
- 2006. Consequences of artificial selection on pre-adult development for adult lifespan under benign conditions in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Mech. Ageing Dev. 127: 802–807. , , &
- 2005. An analysis of trade-offs in immune function, body size and development time in the mediterranean field cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus. Funct. Ecol. 19: 323–330. &
- 2007. Inbreeding and extreme outbreeding cause sex differences in immune defence and life history traits in Epirrita autumnata. Heredity 98: 329–336. &
- 2002. Inbreeding depression: tests of the overdominance and partial dominance hypotheses. Evolution 56: 768–775.
- 2004. Selection on insect immunity in the wild. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 2157–2160. &
- 2004. Time constraints decouple age and size at maturity and physiological traits. Am. Nat. 164: 559–565. , &
- 1996. Severe inbreeding depression and rapid fitness rebound in the butterfly Bicyclus anynana (Satyridae). Evolution 50: 2000–2013. , &
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392: 491–494. , , , , &
- 2005. Inbreeding uncovers fundamental differences in the genetic load affecting male and female fertility in a butterfly. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272: 39–46. , , &
- 2003. Variation in immune defence as a question of evolutionary ecology. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 357–366.
- 2004. The cost of immunity in the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti depends on immune activation. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 834–840. &
- 1997. Costs and benefits of acclimation to elevated temperature in Trichogramma carverae. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 85: 211–219. , &
- 2002. Decreased heat-shock resistance and down-regulation of Hsp70 expression with increasing age in adult Drosophila melanogaster. Funct. Ecol. 16: 379–384. &
- 2006. Time constraints mediate predator-induced plasticity in immune function, condition, and life history. Ecology 87: 809–815. , , , &
- 2002. Comparative biochemistry of eumelanogenesis and the protective roles of phenoloxidase and melanin in insects. Pig. Cell Mel. Res. 15: 2–9. &
- 2012. Interactions between environmental variables determine immunity in the indian meal moth Plodia interpunctella. J. Anim. Ecol. 81: 386–394. &
- 2005. Characterization of 28 microsatellite loci for the butterfly Bicyclus anynana. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5: 169–172. , , , , &
- 1998. The physiology of life-history trade-offs: experimental analysis of a hormonally induced life-history trade-off in Gryllus assimilis. Am. Nat. 152: 7–23. , &