Data deposited at Dryad: doi:10.5061;dryad.rc3fj
Predation drives stable coexistence ratios between red and green pea aphid morphs
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 3, pages 545–552, March 2013
How to Cite
Balog, A. and Schmitz, O. J. (2013), Predation drives stable coexistence ratios between red and green pea aphid morphs. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 545–552. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12070
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- Romanian National Authority for Scientific Research
- CNCS – UEFISCDI. Grant Number: PN-II-RU-TE-2011-3-0096
- 1995. The effect of color polymorphism on mortality in the aphid Macrosiphoniella yomogicola. Ecol. Res. 10: 301–306. &
- 2013. Generalist predatory rove beetles (Coleoptera: Staphylinidae) induce winged morphs in the pea aphid Acyrthosiphon pisum. Eur. J. Entomol. 110: 153–157. , &
- 2007. The Evolution of Color Polymorphism: Crypticity, Searching Images, and Apostatic Selection. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 489–514.
- 1998. Molecular evidence against phylogenetically distinct host races of the pea aphid (Acyrthosiphon pisum). Genome 41: 769–775.
- 2001. Variation in escape behaviour of red and green clones of the pea aphid. J. Insect. Behav. 14: 497–509. &
- 1999. Ladybird-induced lifehistory changes in aphids. P. Roy. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 266: 1549–1553. &
- 2006. Ecological specialization correlates with genotypic differentiation in sympatric host-populations of the pea aphid. J. Evolution Biol. 19: 392–401. , , &
- 2009. Complex trait differentiation between host-populations of the pea aphid Acyrthosiphon pisum (Harris): implications for the evolution of ecological specialisation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 97: 718–727. , , , , &
- 2010. Differences in defensive behaviour between host-adapted races of the pea aphid. Ecol. Entomol. Special Issue: Insect Evolution Below the Species Level 35: 147–154. , , , &
- 1997. A polymorphism maintained by opposite patterns of parasitism and predation. Nature 388: 269–272. , , , &
- 2010. Lateral Transfer of Genes from Fungi Underlies Carotenoid Production in Aphids. Science 328: 624–627. &
- 2007. Predator avoidance behaviour in the pea aphid: costs, frequency, and population consequences. Oecologia 151: 22–32.
- 2006. Encounters between aphids and their predators: the relative frequencies of disturbance and consumption. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 118: 211–219. &
- 2009a. A continuum of genetic divergence from sympatric host races to species in the pea aphid complex. P. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 7495–7500. , , &
- 2009b. Post-Pleistocene radiation of the pea aphid complex revealed by rapidly evolving endosymbionts. P. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 16315–16320. , , &
- 2003. Host-based divergence in populations of the pea aphid: insights from nuclear markers and the prevalence of facultative symbionts. P Roy Soc B-Biol Sci 270: 1703–1712. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Interactions between specialist and generalist natural enemies: parasitoids, predators, and pea aphid biocontrol. Ecology 84: 91–107. &
- 2005. Host plant-associated genetic differentiation in the snakeweed grasshopper, Hesperotettix viridis (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Mol. Ecol. 14: 2197–2205. , &
- 1996. Seasonal dynamics, parasitisation and colour polymorphism of the pea aphid Acyrthosiphon pisum (Aphididae, Homoptera) on alfalfa in the south part of the Pannonian area. Tiscia 30: 45–48. , , &
- 1991. The genetic structure of host plant adaptation in a spatial patchwork: demographic variability among reciprocally transplanted pea aphid clones. Evolution 45: 827–852.
- 1999. Reproductive isolation between sympatric races of pea aphids. I. Gene flow restriction and habitat choice. Evolution 53: 1446–1457.
- 2000. Reproductive isolation between divergent races of pea aphids on two hosts. II. Selection against migrants and hybrids in the parental environments. Evolution 54: 1626–1637. , &
- 2001. Body colour and genetic variation in winged morph production in the pea aphid. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 99: 217–223. &