Data deposited at Dryad: doi: 10.5061/dryad.f8g39
Evidence for genetic differentiation in timing of maturation among nine-spined stickleback populations
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 4, pages 775–782, April 2013
How to Cite
Ghani, N. I. A., Herczeg, G., Leinonen, T. and Merilä, J. (2013), Evidence for genetic differentiation in timing of maturation among nine-spined stickleback populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 775–782. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12085
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2012
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: #129662, #134728, #218343, #128716
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- 2012. Body size divergence in nine-spined sticklebacks: disentangling additive genetic and maternal effects. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 107: 521–528. , &
- 1985. The roles of daily and annual biological rhythms in the photoperiodic regulation of the breeding season in the stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L. Behaviour 93: 1–7.
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Statist. Soc. B 57: 289–300. &
- 1982. The genetic basis of altitudinal variation in the wood frog Rana sylvatica I. An experimental analysis of life history traits. Evolution 36: 962–983.
- 2012. Molecular evolutionary and population genomic analysis of the nine-spined stickleback using a modified restriction-site-associated DNA tag approach. Mol. Ecol. 22: 565–582. , , , , & .
- 2004. Lost in time, lonely, and single: reproductive asynchrony and the allele effect. Am. Nat. 164: 25–37. & .
- 1988. Responses to selection for body size and age at sexual maturity in the mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis. Aquaculture 68: 221–241. & .
- 2008. Age at maturity in wild baboons: genetic, environmental and demographic influences. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2026–2040. , , & .
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 253–269. & .
- 1987. Current status of sex manipulation. In: Proceedings of Third Intlernational Symposium on Reproductive Physiology of Fish. (D.R. Idler & L. Crim, eds), pp. 108–119. Memorial University Press, St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. & .
- 2010. Survival Kit v6 - A software package for survival analysis. In: 9th World Congress on Genetics to Livestock Production, August 1-6, 2010. Leipzig, Germany. http://www.nas.boku.ac.at/1897.html , & .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evol. Appl. 2: 394–414. , , , & .
- 1982. Why do males emerge before females? Protandry as a mating strategy in male and female butterflies. Oecologia 52: 164–166. & .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. Am. Nat. 104: 1–24. & .
- 1974. Genetic and environmental factors determining the morphological maturation of the mouse and its relationship with weight growth. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 31: 247–261. , & .
- 1981. Variation in age and size at maturity of the Slider turtle (Pseudemys scripta). Am. Nat. 117: 841–845. , , & .
- 2007. Principles of Population Genetics, 4th edn. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. & .
- 2003. Life-history Variation and Age at Maturity in Eurasian Perch (Perca fluviatilis L.). PhD thesis. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå. .
- 2009. Evolution of gigantism in nine-spined sticklebacks. Evolution 63: 7–27. , & .
- 2010. Rensch's rule inverted – female-driven gigantism in nine-spined stickleback Pungitius pungitius. J. Anim. Ecol. 79: 581–588. , & .
- 2012. Contrasting growth strategies of pond versus marine populations of nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius): a combined effect of predation and competition? Evol. Ecol. 26: 109–122. , , & .
- 2005. Life-history characteristics of coral reef gobies II. Mortality rate, mating system and timing of maturation. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 290: 223–237. & .
- 2003. Natural selection in a bottle. Am. Nat. 161: 50–67. & .
- 2005. Life-history phenotypes in a live-bearing fish Brachyrhaphis episcopi living under different predator regimes: seasonal effects? Environ. Biol. Fish. 76: 211–219. , , & .
- 1978. A sex-linked gene controlling the onset of sexual maturation in female and male platyfish (Xiphophorus maculatus), fecundity in females and adult size in males. Genetics 89: 79–119. & .
- 1973. Genetic control of gonadotrop differentiation in the platyfish, Xiphophorus maculatus (Poeciliidae). Science 58: 678–680. , & .
- 1996. Genetic and social control of male maturation in Phallichthys quadripunctatus (Pisces: Poeciliidae). J. Evol. Biol. 9: 695–715. & .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 652–659. & .
- 2011. Fish age at maturation is influenced by temperature independently of growth. Oecologia 167: 435–443. , , , , & .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 57: 659–668. .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 271–277. .
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evol. Ecol. 3: 343–359. & .
- 1997. Censoring issues in survival analysis. Annu. Rev. Public Health 18: 83–104. , & .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. & .
- 1982. Reproductive cues for gonadal development in temperate reptiles: temperature and photoperiod effects on the testicular cycle of the lizard Sceloporus undula. Herpetologica 38: 26–39. .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 351: 189–199. , & .
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60: 1516–1521. & .
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, New York. & .
- 1986. Variation in male parr maturation within and among populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 43: 1242–1248. , & .
- 1984. Size at maturity for northwest Atlantic redfishes (Sebastes). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 41: 1753–1762. & .
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414: 901–905. , , , , , . et al.
- 2000. Evolution of temporal isolation in the wild: genetic divergence in timing of migration and breeding by introduced Chinook salmon populations. Evolution 54: 1372–1385. , & .
- 2004. Strain and maturation effects on female spawning time in diallele crosses of three strains of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 234: 99–100. , & .
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62: 791–801. & .
- 1990. Experimentally induced life-history evolution in a natural population. Nature 346: 357–359. , & .
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96: 391–401. .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York. .
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. .
- 1996. Incidence and consequences of inherited environmental effects. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Sys. 27: 451–476. .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2007. SAS/STAT (R) User's Guide, 2nd edn. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC.
- 2009. The genetic architecture of skeletal convergence and sex determination in ninespine sticklebacks. Curr. Biol. 19: 1140–1145. , , , , , . et al.
- 2010a. History vs. habitat type: explaining the genetic structure of European nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius) populations. Mol. Ecol. 19: 1147–1161. , , & .
- 2010b. Utility of sequenced genomes for microsatellite marker development in non-model organisms: a case study of functionally important genes in nine-spined sticklebacks (Pungitius pungitius). BMC Genomics 11: 334–347. , , & .
- 2011. Molecular sexing and population genetic inference using a sex-linked microsatellite marker in the nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius). BMC Res. Notes 4: 119–124. , & .
- 2011. Quantitative genetics of body size and timing of maturation in two-nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius) populations. PLoS ONE 6: e28859. , , , , & .
- 1997. Developmental instability as a bet-hedging strategy. Oikos 80: 401–406. & .
- 1984. Heritability estimates for age and length at maturity in two populations of mosquito fish that shared ancestors in 1905. Evolution 38: 368–375. .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York. .
- 2000. Life history evolution: successes, limitations, and prospects. Naturwissenschaften 87: 476–486. .
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: prediction of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40: 893–913. & .
- 1999. Mechanisms underlying photoperiodic effects on age at sexual maturity in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Aquaculture 177: 47–60. , , , , , . et al.
- 1991. Chelex 100 as a medium for simple extraction of DNA for PCR-based typing from forensic material. Biotechniques 10: 506–513. , & .
- 2007. Understanding the maturation process for field investigations of fisheries-induced evolution. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 279–283 .