A G matrix analogue to capture the cumulative effects of nongenetic inheritance
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2013 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 26, Issue 6, pages 1234–1243, June 2013
How to Cite
Townley, S. and Ezard, T. H. G. (2013), A G matrix analogue to capture the cumulative effects of nongenetic inheritance. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 26: 1234–1243. doi: 10.1111/jeb.12089
- Issue published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2012
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140: S85–S107.
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62: 2451–2461. , , , &
- 2009. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic accommodation in novel environments: an empirical test of the baldwin effect. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. B 364: 1125–1141.
- 2011. A general definition of the heritable variation that determines the potential of a population to respond to selection. Genetics 189: 347–359.
- 2003. Nonholonomic Mechanics and Control. Springer, New York.
- 2007. A tale of two matrices: mulitvariate approaches in evolutionary biology. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1–8.
- 2005. A reassessment of genetic limits to evolutionary change. Ecology 86: 1371–1384. &
- 2012. The implications of nongenetic inheritance for evolution in changing environments. Evol. Appl. 5: 192–201. , &
- 2009. Nongenetic inheritance and its evolutionary implications. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40: 103–125. &
- 2011. A unified approach to the evolutionary consequences of genetic and nongenetic inheritance. Am. Nat. 178: E18–E36. &
- 1965. Maternal effects and selection response. In: Genetics Today: Proceedings, XI International Congress on Genetics (S.J. Geerts, ed.), pp. 763–774. Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- 1918. The correlation between relatives on the supposition of mendelian inheritance. Trans. R. Soc. Edinb. 52: 399–433.
- 2012. Evolution of Parental Care, chap. The Quantitative Genetic Theory of Parental Effects. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Characters as the units of evolutionary change. In: The Character Concept in Evolutionary Biology, chap (G.P. Wagner, ed.), pp. 109–140. Academic Press, New York.
- 2012. The benefits of maternal effects in novel and in stable environments. J. Roy. Soc. Interface 9: 2403–2413. &
- 2005. Evolution in Four Dimensions. MIT Press, Cambridge. &
- 2009. Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: Prevalence, mechanisms, and implications for the study of heredity and evolution. Quart. Rev. Biol. 84: 131–176. &
- 2004. Evolution and stability of the g-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58: 1639–1654. , &
- 1989. The evolution of maternal characters. Evolution 43: 485–503. &
- 1979. Quantitative genetical analysis of multivariate evolution applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 1990. Selection response in traits with maternal inheritance. Genet. Res. 55: 189–197. &
- 1989. Genetic correlations and maternal effect coeffcients obtained from offspring–parent regression. Genetics 122: 915–922. &
- 2009. How to measure indirect genetic effects: the congruence of trait-based and variance-partitioning approaches. Evolution 63: 1785–1795. &
- 2005. The dimensionality of genetic variation for wing shape in drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 59: 1027–38. &
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process: I. direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51: 1352–1362. , &
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43: 1209–1222. &
- R Core Team 2012. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2007. Maternal effects and evolution at ecological time-scales. Func. Ecol. 21: 408–421. &
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. J. Evol. Biol. 50: 1766–1774.
- 2001. Control Theory for Linear Systems. Springer, London. , &
- 1998. The coadaptation of parental and offspring characters. Evolution 52: 299–308. &